• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Para trained Tankie

Im due to under go P coy, but coming from the Black Mafia (RTR), im not too sure whether i am allowed to wear the maroon beret. Seeing as the Black beret is supposedly "coveted" amongst other regts, and the fact i have never seen another member of the RTR wear maroon, i just wanted to clear a myth or uncover a fact.
Maybe not at RD but on a detatched posting?

Im due to under go P coy, but coming from the Black Mafia (RTR), im not too sure whether i am allowed to wear the maroon beret. Seeing as the Black beret is supposedly "coveted" amongst other regts, and the fact i have never seen another member of the RTR wear maroon, i just wanted to clear a myth or uncover a fact.
Maybe not at RD but on a detatched posting?

'Black beret' coveted? 'Black Mafia'? Do you make this shite up yourself, you ******* tube?

I beleive you can only wear the maroon beret when serving with a Para unit, you will notice that those that are not para trained with those units, 23PFA, 9RE still wear it before they even qualify. They key i think is if you get the pay - no pay, no beeret, the wings you can wear at any time becuuase they are a qualification.

Black berets - dirty fools!

True, 3RGJ spawned from the KRRC and RB.
(My first issued badge, black Bakelite)
3rd.Hussars wore the maroon beret when they were Recce Reg,. attached 6th.Airborne in Palestine 46-48.

Attachments

There was a TV documentary back in the 70's about the "Black Mafia" it was about preparing the RGJ for their first tour of public duties in London District i do recall,we had to send a drill sergeant down to teach them heavy drill in preparation i do believe !

B

Biscuits_AB

RTR Black Mafia? I am sure that was 3RGJ when I was in the mob?
It was the RGJ in its entirety. A nickname gained on account of how many 'black buttoned' Officers made it up the ladder to the higher echelons. Any association to one of 2 RGJ's Rifle Coys being devoid of any honkeys, is purely speculation and the ubiquitous squaddie 'tall storying'...blood.

B

Biscuits_AB

My mistake. I seemed to have caused an up roar with the Black Mafia comment. I suppose I should only use that one in house.
Yes, and whilst you are in the company of your fellow boiler suit wearing manky *******. Nobody refers, nor have they ever referred, to the RTR as the 'Black Mafia', so stop trying to big yourself up.

It was the RGJ in its entirety. A nickname gained on account of how many 'black buttoned' Officers made it up the ladder to the higher echelons. Any association to one of 2 RGJ's Rifle Coys being devoid of any honkeys, is purely speculation and the ubiquitous squaddie 'tall storying'...blood.
Top stuff! Thanks for history lesson Busicuits! A bit sad, but I do enjoy hearing the history stories of these old and bold regiments.

Although a Royal Armoured Corps volunteer I did my initial six weeks training with the Rifle Brigade and the KRRC at the Rifle Barracks at Winchester.
The instructors wore dark green battle dress with black buttons as mentioned by Biscuits, this battle dress seemed even darker than the Canadian BD that was being issued at the time, possibly 'Black Mafia' tailored specials, the KRRC officers were rather wealthy and as also mentioned by Biscuits were well up the ladder, as I said they 'ran' Cairo.
I rather feel that the officers wore black Sam Brown's also.
After a few days we RAC were allowed to wear the black beret with the 'Spanner' badge but I have always treasured my first black 'bakelite' WW2 'Austerity badge.
The mixed recruits (RAC,KRRC, RB) did cause confusion at times as we did the 'Tank park shuffle' as they diissapeared over the horizon going like the clappers.

Off topic but.........for many years I worked with a 'German Umpah' band and did many gigs for NAAFI, we did one for the Green Jackets' in Belfast and I was joking with them about 'being in, when needing em not feeding em' and doing a bit of quick march at short trail with a sweeping brush..........my ego got punctured when in the interval a young lady told me that I must have been in when 'Sharpe' was in!!!!!

OK I'm a dab-hand for going off topic............put it down to old age and being a boring old fart............
This is 'Jones' of the Bays, no one knew quite what he did, note SAS wings and Bays beret and badge,
Buggered about in Jugoslavia with Tito.............
Nut case, but .........you didn't '**** about with Jones!

Attachments

I beleive you can only wear the maroon beret when serving with a Para unit, you will notice that those that are not para trained with those units, 23PFA, 9RE still wear it before they even qualify. They key i think is if you get the pay - no pay, no beeret, the wings you can wear at any time becuuase they are a qualification.

Black berets - dirty fools!
Not if he can't get on the BPC in the first place due to not having a Para PID

Latest Threads