Para Reserve

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Scotto103, Nov 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to join the para reserves id just like to know if the selection process is different to say if i was joining the regular paras as in do i still have to do a mile and a half in under 9.14 mins or is it different ?

2. Get in another Mackem. When I was at RSW the paras had to complete the mile and a half in under 9 and a half minutes IIRC.

3. Touch base with The_Duke, he's your man for all things 4 PARA.

If I were you though I'd be aiming on getting your mile and a half below 9.14 to give yourself the best start on training/selection as possible.

4. Get fit.

Then work on your phizz.

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

On your TARS (TA Recruit Selection) weekend every potential recruit is required to do the risk reduction run, consisting of 2400m (1 and a half miles in old money) in under 14 minutes.

To be considered for acceptance on the 4 Para recruit cadre, you must manage that run in under 10.30, which is the basic standard required of any trained soldier under the age of 30.

If you are not up to that very basic standard, you will not be able to keep up with the pace of the recruit training, and are destined to fail. To avoid wasted effort on everyones part and potential injury, you simply won't get on the cadre.

If you are a borderline pass at 10.30, you will need to do a lot of work in your own time to stand a realistic chance of passing. It is certainly possible and the training cadre is designed to help you get there, but the work is for you to do, not us.

Move quickly, the next cadre starts in January, and you may just manage to get on it (TARS, RG8 medicals etc permitting).

Good luck

6. Under 10:30 i can manage quite easily but i do struggle to get it under 9:14 i am also on a millitary prep course which is getting me fitter all the time so i'm doing pretty much alot of fitness in my spare time anyway i'm running the mile and a half at about 9:50 at the min. So do you think its worth me trying in jan with that run time ?

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Scotto,

You are fine to start, but if you wait til January, you are unlikely to start the proper cadre until May/June.

Call them on Monday and you stand a very slim chance of starting in January.

8. Kinnell, they don't know they're born these days. We (XVI Lincoln 4 Para V) must have spent 15 minutes up and down a poxy motorway embankment before we even started running then it was firemans carry some brick sh1thoose chuggin his breakfast all down yer back
    half the way home again. They called it a look at life weekend 8O

Wouldn't have missed it for the world..........

9. Oh God, that's brought back horrible memories of Battlfield PT! 8O :puker: :D

10. Best getting slapping them pavements then fatty!

11. Thought the 'Para' time for 1.5 miles was around 8:30 ??

Open to correction though. :D