Para regiment

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Tomo9700, Dec 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi im looking to join a para regiment in the ta but im not sure where the closest 1 is to me in manchester. or even how many are there in the northwest? any ideas.
  2. is there anymore other than 4para
  3. Infantry, you have Kingo's(Duke of Lancs) at Ardwick or Cheshire mortar pl(Mercian) in Stockport.

RA in Belle Vue(teeth arm).

Or RMR in Chorlton, off the top of my head.

4 Para St Helens or Pudsey in Leeds.
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It is the only TA Battalion of The Parachute Regiment
  5. cheers guys. Abit of a long shot here and i know i might get a few snide remarks of people but i want to join the sas(R) one day do you think i should join the para regiment for a while to build myself up?. Also how vigerous is the training in sas(R) is it the same as the regulars.
  6. msr

msr LE

Just take one step at a time.
  7. No offense, but joining 4 Para is going to take a great deal of hard work, and there is no guarantee you will pass P Company. 4 Para is an elite in it's own right, and by no means should you see it only as a stepping stone to SAS(R).

However, if you DO serve with 4 Para, it will definately give you an adavantage should you decide to try for SAS(R) later.

Good luck. :D
  8. Hi,

I am going through the recruit phase of SAS(R) just now and yes its as demanding as regular. You have to pass 1.5 mile run in 9min 30secs or under to start with then there is the standard CFT. You do 12 build up weekends of hills training etc then you do the standard test week along side the regs. Then theres continuation trg etc before your badged. It takes about a year to do. I am ex Infantry so dont have to do CIC but if you havent done it then you have to do it and its usualy with 4 Para.

I would say if this is WHAT YOU WANT to do then go straight for it and not 4 Para. The fitness is not that much different and they will build you up. There is a couple of civvies on my selection and they are good blokes.
  9. 1.5 mile run? Used to be the first run was an 8 miler, to be completed in 64 minutes max.

Something else that many recruits for SAS(R) forget: Selection is fcuking BORING. Especially for trained soldiers. I knew one ex-Bootneck who was p1ssing the Hills build up but quit because there was no real military training beyond very basic weapons training, and even that was'nt done regularly.

The majority of Selection is spent doing sh1t-loads of fizz, lots of map reading and some basic weapons drills, along with some first aid. Anyone who expects to be kicking down doors, using MP5's every weekend and being trained in jap-slapping on the Drills Nights is going to be very disappointed.

Good luck with Selection, mate. Hope you get Badged. :D
  10. Have a go at 4para mate, its as good a place as any to start, and you'll get some good trips. To answer your question about SAS(R) selection comparing to 22, its quite a bit different, as in the timings req'd on test week are slower for the reserves, and you don't get involved in the joys of the jungle phase, which is where the real selecting is carried out. Still a hard course obviously, but it depends what you want out of it at the end.
  11. Very true about jungle phase. The time limits have changed i think not sure just what the guys in the unit have said thats it used to be 3km an hour for SAS(R) but its now 4km and hour. Thats also what we were told dont expect any real military stuff like weapons etc its all geared around fitness untill ur badged.