Para Reg to Int Corps Reserves

Good evening all,

As it stands I'm due to leave the Army end of this month after nearly 9 years, however, I've had a change of heart about cutting my ties with the Army all together and have decided to join the Int Corp Reserves.

For a few reasons, the main one being that I'm going to be working as a Penetration Tester in civvie street (Yes, the name gets me every time too), so to that end I'm wanting to go down the Cyber route.

Has anyone got any advice or tips for going Int Corp Reserves?

Cheers, Woody.

Can't help but good luck, I always found the Reserve side of the Corps to be friendly, enthusiastic and professional. Be aware though, that both regular and reserve Int Corps attract some 'odd' folk.

Everyone here's a bit hacked off that you forestalled jokes about 'Penetration Tester'. You're going to have to be more diplomatic in future.

Everyone here's a bit hacked off that you forestalled jokes about 'Penetration Tester'. You're going to have to be more diplomatic in future.
Forestalled? On Arrse?

I'm off for popcorn, want any?

so to that end I'm wanting to go down the Cyber route.
You MAY end up surprised at the depth of knowledge that they have - not knowing your level ?

Done 'properly',you are probably on a superb salary increase,in your civvy life / future.

Met a chap who had just completed one Company Test - found gap and also showed how to seal / fix / repair it - he was paid £80,000 for it - took him 8 days - you that good ? :smile:

Utrinque Paratus !!

You MAY end up surprised at the depth of knowledge that they have - not knowing your level ?

Done 'properly',you are probably on a superb salary increase,in your civvy life / future.

Met a chap who had just completed one Company Test - found gap and also showed how to seal / fix / repair it - he was paid £80,000 for it - took him 8 days - you that good ? :smile:

Utrinque Paratus !!
Gosh, that's rather a handsome payday. Roughly 20 times the top range of the going rate, too. Pen testing is pretty commoditised nowadays and most outfits struggle to get more than three or four hundred a day out of it.

Gosh, that's rather a handsome payday. Roughly 20 times the top range of the going rate, too. Pen testing is pretty commoditised nowadays and most outfits struggle to get more than three or four hundred a day out of it.
Pen testing ( I'm told ) often leads to other things - as in the case above,and a jittery HQ finding it had been hacked - will move quickly.
As for me,I am nowhere near being described as knowledgeable on Internet / Computers / and any other '-ologies' involved, your figuresw are correct for per diem,but the more you delve into that arcane world - figures are stunning.....

Pen testing ( I'm told ) often leads to other things - as in the case above,and a jittery HQ finding it had been hacked - will move quickly.
As for me,I am nowhere near being described as knowledgeable on Internet / Computers / and any other '-ologies' involved, your figuresw are correct for per diem,but the more you delve into that arcane world - figures are stunning.....
I wouldn't presume to call your pal any sort of line-shooter, but 80 large for that does seem rather... generous. Certainly wouldn't be any of my customers, that's all I'm saying - and I'd claim a degree of insight into the market.

I wouldn't presume to call your pal any sort of line-shooter, but 80 large for that does seem rather... generous. Certainly wouldn't be any of my customers, that's all I'm saying - and I'd claim a degree of insight into the market.
I hear what you say,and agree,as my contact has been in that line of business for some years - knows lotsa people - and 'things' - seems that since more and more hackers are getting through,panic and ''need it now'' is the order of the day,and his experience has him working many long hours,and banking large amounts also.
Wish I could be more open and specific,but I'm no guru on computers,but I do know this man and he's not 'flamboyant' about his work.

I wish my salary was as handsome as that! I'm only an 'intern' at the moment, my new boss runs a Veterans Scheme for one lucky candidate a year, so I'm very fortunate in that sense. So fingers crossed I'm on a good pathway to a nice salary.

Again, is there any Int Corps folk reading this thread that can give me some advice?

I wish my salary was as handsome as that! I'm only an 'intern' at the moment, my new boss runs a Veterans Scheme for one lucky candidate a year, so I'm very fortunate in that sense. So fingers crossed I'm on a good pathway to a nice salary.

Again, is there any Int Corps folk reading this thread that can give me some advice?
Sure, it's very simple, never turn down a course, or a certification, or a chance to gain knowledge. grab any experience which comes your way, network like crazy, grasp the technical bits perfectly, but make sure they're in context - always remember that your customer is mainly interested in his business and wants you to do what you do in order for him to do what he does. Above all else, stay on the curve - the environment is incredibly fast-moving, so you need to track, not just what the threat's doing, in terms of its change, rate of change and fluctuations in capability and intent, but also what your customer community's up to - what are the trends in both protective infrastructures and in the actual business architectures they're designed to defend, what does that mean, what tools do you need to understand and remediate....

If you read the stick on recruiting, it is mostly up to date. Other wise drop me a message and where you are thinking of moving to and I will put you in touch. Pen testing can pay well, but you will have to get the experiance and build up trust and contacts. Cyber reserves are recruiting, but you will need to show you have the skills and quals already.

But happy to have a chat.