Para Reg, RM yawnnnnnnnn what about the infantry??

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Kola, Jan 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys.

(Firstly as im quite new here im not sure this post is best fitted to this section of the forum. Mod please move if you know a better on)

Firstly, as an ex regular I have the utmost respect for ALL our armed forces.

I was wondering though, all I hear are people banging on about the Paras and the RM. I fully accept these two regiments are superb. Im not wanting to dent that or even knock any shine of it.

However, I cant help feel that somehow superb infantry units such as the LI and Green Jackets to name but a few seem to get wrongly left out.

Correct me if im wrong but apart from the delivery method (IE air and sea) are they not all the same once they get there. IE is the PM/Para Regt any better than the LI once in the theater of war? Are they any better trained in infantry skills/drills?

No civvey has a clue what the infantry is these days as its all Para/RM. I suppose a corps such as the RLC or Signalers are unheard of sadly.

Its just something that grips me when I hear mates talking.

Then to find the Short Range Desert Group (RAF Reg) is a part of the big three??? I mean come on!! (No offense rock apes who I also respect but compared to the GJ or LI etc etc?)

Opinions?

(Please lets not transcend at least this thread to banter. Lets hear some intelligent debate)

2. Edited.

3. Que another Para bashing thread, much as I enjoy them it has been done MANY MANY times before.

4. no wooow fellas. I don't want to bash anyone, I think the Paras are superb as said.

I just also think our infantry is superb and much unsung these days. Why??

5. Shall we start on this being done to death, being in the wrong section really, being a roundabout arguement with no fecking ending etc etc....

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Sorted that for you mate :wink:

7. Oh dear,what have you gone and done now ?

8. Grizzly Panda - Mate you joined on Jan 18th

What would you know about being done to death or are you one of these new old sweats???

9. As a former jacket and current serving member of 4 Rifles we're quite glad not to be mentioned in the same breathe as the Royals...we're better i mean how hard is it to get in and out of a boat?

10. Long time observer and a realistic wise bugger.

To put it blunty, there always has to be two things.
    1. A champion, someone always has to be the top dog, and the image of the Paras et al being elite feckers plopping out of servicable aircraft under fire right into the lap of the enemy for shits and giggles is that image that can be sold.
    2. A counterpoint, for one extreme to be observable there has to be an opposite, that would be the image of the common grunt doing the usual mundane balls.

11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The day after you which must make you a real old sweat :D

12. haha good come pack panda (kola takes his hat off and bows)

13. this isn't going to end nicely

14. It never does, enjoy it while it lasts 8O

15. What get me is when people rant on about the catering corps, elite egg ops my arse anyone can make an omelete and chips.