• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Para reg joining process

Hi currently in my application for the paras. Have passed interview few weeks ago and waiting for selection.

The only stuff I've been able to read about the joining process seems quite outdated, if everything I'd read had happened id have done a BARB test and have a CSM but instead I'm waiting for the call about selection ( been told I do barb there ) I'm not complaining about this, not a problem but I am now confused as to whether or not I still have to do PRAC after initial selection and before going to catterick for para training.

Anyone shed some light on this for me?

When I arranged my interview with a recruiter on the phone he sent me a "rec plan" basically stating the 4 steps of an application but it didn't mention PRAC despite clearly saying that I had put the para reg as my no 1 choice of job.

Also my interviewer told me next step would be selection with no mention of PRAC.

Cheers for your help In Advance

Good stuff, pleased the preparation I've done for it wasn't in vain then.

If I may ask a few other questions, I imagine they'll have quite short and concise answers.

1 . Strength tests for the paras? Know about the powerbag, jerry can, push up, sit ups, but I've heard different things about the chin ups/pull ups so unsure what the current amount of those are.

2 . 1.5 mile run at initial selection. Been told by some I need 9 minutes for paras, and other 9:30-9:40 ( can do sub 9 minutes so not worried but curious )

3 . For the timed 1.5 mile at PRAC is alot of it uphill / downhill and is there a change in time requirement accounting for that?

Thanks again

You need to hit 40kg at ADSC for infantry. All of the questions about the physical requirements are best effort so you should of course do you best. However, reg PARA run time at ADSC must be completed in under 9.40, at PRAC this is to be completed in under 10 (this will be argued) however they want to see 9.30. The steeplechase is to be completed in under 21mins (don't underestimate this) . You want to hit at least 60 on the press ups and sit ups but aim for at least 80. Pull ups (if they make you do them) are underhand grip and they want to see at least 10. Now I'm not saying these are still all correct, but they were told to me by a bloke who worked on the PRAC team. Their is more to take into account than just the fitness standards, you will have travelled, you will get a taste of how it is to be a joe and you may be thrashed, you need to pass the trainasium to pass PRAC, and give the fam run everything you have. You will run with recruits already in basic, its a good chance to show your fitness and aggression. But all said and done, just put your all in, dont give up and im sure most can pass, its the easiest thing you will do in the depot.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Good stuff, pleased the preparation I've done for it wasn't in vain then.

If I may ask a few other questions, I imagine they'll have quite short and concise answers.

1 . Strength tests for the paras? Know about the powerbag, jerry can, push up, sit ups, but I've heard different things about the chin ups/pull ups so unsure what the current amount of those are.

2 . 1.5 mile run at initial selection. Been told by some I need 9 minutes for paras, and other 9:30-9:40 ( can do sub 9 minutes so not worried but curious )

3 . For the timed 1.5 mile at PRAC is alot of it uphill / downhill and is there a change in time requirement accounting for that?

Thanks again
Have a look on here.

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/parachute/24313.aspx