Para Qualification

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Hantslad, Mar 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can any of the old war horses on here tell me what the para qualification badge that is worn on the cuff? Its basically an open parachute, but no wings attached? Who qualified for them? What was the criteria? Its been many many years since I last saw one on a blokes uniform, so is it still awarded?

Cheers

2. It used to be referred to as the "light bulb" because of it's shape and was awarded to blokes who'd completed the BPC but were not going to serve in an airborne unit, i.e guys going off to BAOR. A guy from AAC got awarded one on my course in the 80's but still sewed normal para wings on his jumper anyway.

3. Cheers mate,

So did the guys do P Coy before BPC?

Does it still get issued?

4. Many years ago all the soldiers from the Parachute Regiment were drawn from other Regiments as there was NO direct entrants into the Regiment. Once the Parachute Regiment no longer required you or that you could no longer meet the physical requirements then you were RTU [Returned To Unit] You were not allowed to keep your full wings until the mid 1960's but you could wear a wingless parachute on the lower part of your sleeve on right arm to show that you had been a Paratrooper. The Officers always refused to comply with ruling and kept there full wings and after many complaints from all the other ranks then the ruling was altered to allow all those that had served to keep the wings. It was at this time also that that Officers were stopped from wearing their wings above their left breast pocket.

5. I thought the wings over the left breast pocket signifed a certain number of operational jumps?

6. There are only a very few of the old and bold still sporting the light bulb. Yonks back, there was opportunity to do the BPC on a fill up basis and, mostly officers, did just that to gain a bit of airborne experience and awareness. There are possibly still one or two folk knocking about who did the BPC without P Coy - an expedient to train people to drop to meet urgent operational requirements. It is no longer run - given the difficulty we have even in getting Para Regt fellows jump qualified its not too surprising.

7. Thanks guys, I seem to remember that Field Marshall Lord Inge sported the "lightbulb" badge when he was CDS

8. Thanks guys, I seem to remember that Field Marshall Lord Inge sported the "lightbulb" badge when he was CDS

9. Not really, in the SAS during the war there was a rule that said if you did an op jump you could wear your wings on top of your breast pocket, however this was outlawed towards the end of the war as dress dictates only pilots and similar (observers etc) could wear them there

10. Parachute-qualified SOE personnel generally wore wings over the left breast pocket. Those officers wearing them like that in the 50s and 60s may have served with SOE in the war.

11. The wings above Gen Guthrie's medals are pilots wings not parachutists. And i'm surprised he has the lightbulb badge as i was under th eimpression that once you'd earned your para wings you could wear them ever after; you just were'nt in date. A modest General then!

12. I know, WAH!

He's talking about the lightbulb on his left sleeve.

13. I know too! Read beyond my first sentence!

14. ^ Sneaky, you edited it before I hit "Submit" and YOU KNOW IT!