para press ups

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by mc-123, Mar 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there any way to improve on the amount of press-ups u can do with out stopping, i.e. just doing loads of sets or something? Does any one have a solid regime that works? :D

I am trying to get fit for the Paras, does anyone know how many you are expected to be able to do at depot I hear it’s about 80 in two minutes 8O

cheers :D

2. Use the search, or even better, use google.

3. I found the '100 Press Up Challenge' to be really beneficial, might be of some use to you.

There is also a '200 Sit Up Challenge' version, you may find this useful too.

4. Don't forget to do about 20 or so in a deep puddle. Just deep enough so that when your buckle is hitting the dirt the muddy water is lapping around your ears.

This has the added benefit of ensuring that you are twice as heavy due to soaking clothes and puking your guts up from the filth that has found it's way into your mouth. Make sure that you slip your hand into your pockets just before the assault course - this will guarantee the above .

5. cheers, :D what level did u get up to?

6. I’m currently on week two of level two for the press ups and level three for sit ups. However, I am joining the TA, and given that you’re joining the Paras, you will probably be significantly higher.

I found it made significant improvements to my standards as long as I gave 100% on the final set, but wobbly arms and falling flat on your face because you can’t support your bodyweight anymore just adds to the fun :wink:

The PFT is best effort in press ups, sit ups [in 2 minutes] and a 1.5 mile run and I can do 41 press ups and 47 sit ups so I’m happy that should scrape a pass. How’s yours going?

CMilk

7. Sorry, I don't mean to be a fitness Nazi or anything but you might want to suppress comments like that! Something along the lines of "I'm gutted I can only just scrape a pass but I've worked hard and I'm going to carry on working to improve" would probably be more suitable.

Everyone in my TA intake stood up and said "I want to join the TA.... to get fit...." and to a man, the response was "You should be fit BEFORE you join."

8. Appreciate that mate, I didn’t mean to sound like I was saying I can scrape a pass so am not training anymore.

My point was just that two weeks after struggling with press ups I am now in a position to be able to scrape a pass. When I start CMSR with the TA I should be in a position to comfortably pass :wink:

9. For the PFT, it's best to do sets of 11. You need 44 in 2 minutes to pass, so do 11 in the first 30 seconds and then rest. Repeat this another 3 times and you'll have no problem. Same with sit ups, but you need 50 instead. When we do PFTs now, we all can do 44 press ups no problem, and could do more but you don't get a prize for doing them so a pass is a pass. Maybe not the correct attitude for some, but hey we're not paras we're just 'fat tankie bastards'.

10. good method forks never thought about doing them that way before!!

11. Yes, fair enough. I took the comment out of context. Well done for making such an improvement. Are you going to finish the whole program, do you think? I've heard a lot of people reach a plateau at some point and don't finish it.

12. Fingertips. All two of them. :D

13. Yes exactly, especially if you want to get fasttracked for the SAS :roll:

14. Is that all Cuthbert? I'm 65 years old and can double those and I was in the RAOC as a baker. fecking sprogs today......