Para Olympians

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by The Hat, Aug 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why can't wheelchair bound athletes take part in the Olympics in say the shooting or archery. Why are they forced to take part in the Para Olympics ?

2. The stability of the chair gives them an advantage allegedly.

3. In Archery all disabled archers will compete alongside able bodied archers with no distinction in their disability in most competitions, the only distinction is bow type (Recurve, Compound, Longbow, barebow). All of the tournaments I have shot at there is no separate disability prize and quite often they will beat able bodied archers. Not because of any advantage but just by the fact that they are better archers. The only exception to this can be blind or partially sighted archers, but I have seen both beat able bodied archers before as well.

4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

As the Olympics only uses Recurve, whereas the paralympics have classes for both Recurve and Compound (I assume compound for wheelchair based athletes) they have seperate competitions.

There is nothing stopping a disabled archer competing in the Olympics - there is a South Korean who is legally blind (20/200 and 20/100 eyesight) who has won Gold at the Olympics and broke the world record this year at the 2012 Olympics.

Im Dong-Hyun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

S_R

5. I hate it when people make the mistake of calling it "Para Olympics"... and fail to realise that the Paralympics and Olympics are 2 completely seperate events run by 2 completely seperate bodies.

I also hate people who demand or question why certain Paralympians aren't allowed to compete along able bodied people, as if they are 2nd class athletes if they don't, or that the paralympics is a 2nd class event.

• Like Like x 1
  6. A lot of wheelchair archers actually prefer the recurve, but those with upper body problems have a tendency to shoot compound, due to the lower holding weight of the draw. Im Dong Hung is a brilliant archer and formally World No 1 saw him shoot at Lords this year and his accuracy is amazing. Compound and Recurve are always split due to the fact that the Compound is far more accurate and uses a front and rear sight.

7. 1. Not many Paras are Olympians.
    2. Why 'wheelchair bound' and not disabled?
    3. Nobody is forced to take part in any competition.
    4. You're a knob who didn't bother to research your own question.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I know in the swimming they are switching to a lighting system for the start as they have totally deaf swimmers competing and they said it gave them a slight advantage over reaction times.

9. Point 4 is probably true, but the other contributors to this thread have changed my obvious ignorance in the post subject where as your reply has done nothing other than make you feel happy at calling me a knob, well done '! That said I am undoubtably a knob at times.

10. At least we agree on one point, however my reply raised 4 points which were all valid.

11. Being of the Deaf old fart type these days, Fita shoots are controlled by lights and timers, rather than just a whistle at GNAS shoots. Being a Deaf archer also has the added bonus of being able to shoot in lovely silence.

12. Just read this in the i Newspaper. Mark Steel: They can't be disabled Tara Flood, a gold-winning former Paralympian has come out in support of the campaign against Atos, “It is a shocking irony that Atos is a main sponsor of London 2012 whilst destroying disabled people’s lives on behalf of the government.” Methinks Atos in for a rough time over the next few days.

13. On the adverts for the Paralympics there's a cyclist with one arm, I think he's a former SAC. It got me wondering, the bikes used in the velodrome have no brakes and have a single fixed fixed gear so they don't have to change gears.

What would stop a cyclist with one arm competing in the Olympics (other than ability of course)?

14. As far as I am aware and please correct me. I think it a disabled athlete has to undergo a series of tests to prove that their prosthetics do not give them an advantage, this is how Pristorious was allowed to run in the Olympics. There is no bar as far as I am aware, as long as they meet the times\standards set. South Africa also had a female swimmer compete in the Olympics who was missing her lower leg. So it can be done.

15. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The arms are used in cycling to hold body posture and to mve the handelbars when accelerating. If they were really good then they would be permitted to compete, but given the tight margins they probably couldn't reach the required standard.