Para Officer

If your only reason for going to RMAS is Para Regt, you need a long hard think about what your plan B is if you don’t get one of the few places offered each year.
Absolutely this.

I've some friends who - despite being mad keen on the Paras and rightly rating their chances - didn't get selected. They never got over it and either left at the first opportunity or carried a chip on their shoulder for their subsequent service.

This pretty much did not happen with any other capbadge at Sandhurst.

If you genuinely wouldn't be happy elsewhere, that's fine - better to be honest with yourself and the system.

In which case, put in for the Royal Marines. Similarly plum roles & high deployablity, equally arduous, with the advantage that if you don't make the grade at Lympstone for whatever reason you can move on, and either get back to your current job or look at the reserves.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hi guys,

I am 26 and currently working offshore as an engineer. I have always wanted to join the paras but for other reasons have had to work close to home. I no longer have this restraint and are keen to apply to the Paras as an officer (with the intention to join the paras...).

Could anyone advise if its a lost cause at my age with no personal contacts in the reg? I have an engineering degree and 3+ years managing high value projects. I have read alot of the forums and it seems those who are selected are usually the following:
1. Under 25
2. Are known by the regiment

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Have you looed at the Sappers , they have an airborne (small) element

Oyibo

LE
Absolutely this.

I've some friends who - despite being mad keen on the Paras and rightly rating their chances - didn't get selected. They never got over it and either left at the first opportunity or carried a chip on their shoulder for their subsequent service.

This pretty much did not happen with any other capbadge at Sandhurst.

If you genuinely wouldn't be happy elsewhere, that's fine - better to be honest with yourself and the system.

In which case, put in for the Royal Marines. Similarly plum roles & high deployablity, equally arduous, with the advantage that if you don't make the grade at Lympstone for whatever reason you can move on, and either get back to your current job or look at the reserves.
'Thirded' if I may (apart from the sea hat bit).

It's one hell of a risk to go to RMAS with the sole intention of joining the Parachute Regiment: Even if the selection board passes you then you still have P Coy (although in fairness not many Parachute Regiment officer candidates fail compared to other all-arms officers).

I would echo what @The_Duke and @Charlie_Cong say about having a good second choice - not a fall-back option, but something you really want to do be it infantry or not.

As for the 'maureens', there aren't, or weren't, enough slots after training to be a troop commander after commissioning, so you could end up in any old job or posted to an infantry regiment.

As for the 'maureens', there aren't, or weren't, enough slots after training to be a troop commander after commissioning, so you could end up in any old job or posted to an infantry regiment.
As an old neighbour's son found out the hard way when he got posted to the Cdo Log Regt. ISTR him not spinning hoofing dits about that when he came home on leave.

Because there is more to life than money?
Well said. I have many regrets in life and following the money early on in life rather than doing what I wanted to do is one of them.

Thanks for the replies. Marines officer has an upper age limit of 25, which makes me an old man for that as I am 26.

I think ultimately it is the infantry I am interested in, and the paras are the best. That being said, are there other 'up there' regiments that you cpuld recommend me looking into?

Many thanks

Thanks for the replies. Marines officer has an upper age limit of 25, which makes me an old man for that as I am 26.

I think ultimately it is the infantry I am interested in, and the paras are the best. That being said, are there other 'up there' regiments that you cpuld recommend me looking into?

Many thanks
From what I've have seen of Rifles officers, they seem to be a pretty switched on bunch. Lots of variety in a big capbadge too...

Many thanks
I've met Infantry Officers from nearly all capbadges. I have to say from the population I've met, they're all pretty much on a par with each other for capability and capacity. Undoubtedly the Paras are quite fit, but that may only be the distinguishing feature. I'd also note that they were also all Lt Col and above, and I can't speak to the Junior Officer population.

ExREME.TECH

War Hero
If your degree in in a technical trade. Look at REME. Do P-Coy and go that route.
You don't need to join the Paras to serve with them