Para Officer

Hi guys,

I am 26 and currently working offshore as an engineer. I have always wanted to join the paras but for other reasons have had to work close to home. I no longer have this restraint and are keen to apply to the Paras as an officer (with the intention to join the paras...).

Could anyone advise if its a lost cause at my age with no personal contacts in the reg? I have an engineering degree and 3+ years managing high value projects. I have read alot of the forums and it seems those who are selected are usually the following:
1. Under 25
2. Are known by the regiment

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Not being funny but why would you give up what can potentially be a 6 figure salary to earn under 50k a year in the Paras?

If it’s just for the travel and adventure why not try the Reserves?

Best of both worlds, earn mega bucks as an engineer, but deploy as and when it suits you and shoot guns and jump out of planes and shit.

Hi guys,

I am 26 and currently working offshore as an engineer. I have always wanted to join the paras but for other reasons have had to work close to home. I no longer have this restraint and are keen to apply to the Paras as an officer (with the intention to join the paras...).

Could anyone advise if its a lost cause at my age with no personal contacts in the reg? I have an engineering degree and 3+ years managing high value projects. I have read alot of the forums and it seems those who are selected are usually the following:
1. Under 25
2. Are known by the regiment

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
The fittest bloke in my RMAS intake was right at the upper limit of the RMAS entry criteria, if that is why you're worrying about the age (and fitness).

Not a lost cause at all - but be prepared to join another regiment if you do not get selected by them at Sandhurst. It is competitive to get in.

@The_Duke may be able to assist in advice on the Paras and reservists.

Not being funny but why would you give up what can potentially be a 6 figure salary to earn under 50k a year in the Paras?

Best of both worlds, earn mega bucks as an engineer, but deploy as and when it suits you and shoot guns and jump out of planes and shit.
I'm not entirely sure that there is a lot of parachuting going on these days...

I'm not entirely sure that there is a lot of parachuting going on these days...
I heard 4 PARA can’t move for jumps courses.

ETA
If you want to join the army you should do it. There’s plenty of scope for you to go back to your 6 figure salary in four years if it doesn’t work out.

If you don’t do it you may always regret it.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Hi,

Firstly, you have until you are 28 years and 11 months to commence training. There are three intakes each year for potential regular officers, in January, May and September. The commissioning course lasts for 44 weeks. You have time.

Secondly, you do not have to have links, family or otherwise, to the Parachute Regiment. PARA Reg is one of the most competitive choices at Sandhurst and they rightfully only take high quality candidates.

Hopefully @The_Duke can offer some guidance.

Then they are very fortunate; my feedback is from non-Para capbadged personnel who are jumps trained.
Ironically, the PARAs (at least 2 and 3 PARA) are the lowest priority for para drops.

morsk

LE

Because there is more to life than money?

The_Duke

LE
Hi,

Firstly, you have until you are 28 years and 11 months to commence training. There are three intakes each year for potential regular officers, in January, May and September. The commissioning course lasts for 44 weeks. You have time.

Secondly, you do not have to have links, family or otherwise, to the Parachute Regiment. PARA Reg is one of the most competitive choices at Sandhurst and they rightfully only take high quality candidates.

Hopefully @The_Duke can offer some guidance.
Seconded. It is all about how well you do at Sandhurst, and if the Para Regt staff at RMAS and interview board think you have what the Regiment wants and that you will be a good fit.

Bear in mind that plenty of quality officers have failed at the board, and a few poor ones have got through.

If your only reason for going to RMAS is Para Regt, you need a long hard think about what your plan B is if you don’t get one of the few places offered each year.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies, its greatly appreciated. To be blunt, the work I do is interesting and pays well but is not fulfilling. Im constantly wanting to feel part of something bigger and the paras is always back of my mind when I do anything. I work along side alot of ex-paras whilst on various vessels and the answer is always "you wont regret it".

I'm trying to figure out of going for it is a daft decision given my role now, which is difficult as I am only 26.

chimera

LE
Hi guys,

I am 26 and currently working offshore as an engineer.

I have always wanted to join the paras

I have an engineering degree and 3+ years managing high value projects.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
The machine keeps on churning. Do not deselect yourself. Stop convincing yourself that your age is a negative factor. Forget PARA Reg briefly and consider that competition to attend RMAS is high. So if you dither you’ll find you’ll very rapidly approach the upper age limit. With places in high demand they try to assess the person - their character and their potential. That is why your interview on day two of the board is almost completely about you. Remember, despite what you may think, they want a mix of ages and background.

Due to Covid-19 158 UK and 21 International Officer Cadets commissioned from Sandhurst a week early at the beginning of April. They have since joined their Regiments and Corps or the Armies of the 14 Partner nations. You can rest assured they are not all under 26 years of age.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out of going for it is a daft decision given my role now, which is difficult as I am only 26.
You aren’t the prime minister mate, it’s not like if you don’t like the army you’ll never get another job again.If you aren’t being fulfilled now that probably won’t change.

The army pays pretty well, on balance, for the amount of work you’ll have to do and there are lots of other benefits to joining.

I also wouldn’t get too hung up on the reg, there are plenty of other units where you would have equally as good a time.

Latest Threads