Para officer questions!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Maxmw123, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys this may be really pathetic but im 14 and my dream has been to join the paras since I was 9. It's all I wanna do and im thinking of joining as an officer how should i prepare? I know I've got lots of time but I want to prepare so when the time comes I will be prepared ! any tips guys? Cheers
  2. You need to have a good idea of Regimental History. I would suggest you start with the last operational jump ^~
  3. Huh? Don't have a clue what that means sorry!
  4. get the grades needed at school first .. or get yourself a parachute and a plane.
  5. Don’t worry mate, to become a good Para you will learn to react like a Great White given time :grin:
  6. Ok well how could I prepare fitness wise I'm quite good at running I run around 18 miles a week at school as I do cross country I do 120 press ups at night and 50 sit-ups what else should I do?
  7. Aren't you a bit young to be deciding on what you want to do already? It seems a waste to me to set out your whole life and then find that you get some injury or decide you don't like it - if I were you, I'd focus on your qualifications and general life for the moment, then make the decision when you're old enough to apply and if you can't/don't want to do it then you've got options.
  8. Ok it's just it's been my dream for ages now and I just want to be old enough to apply!
  9. But anyhow I don't mind that I'm to young what are the fitness requirements?
  10. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

By the time you'll need them they will have probably changed so I wouldn't worry about them now.
  11. Good for you. As a little boy of seven I spent hours playing with my toy Scottish soldiers and I knew then that I wanted to be a soldier one day. I did.
    What to do? Get yourself on an Outward Bound course as soon as you can. Test yourself in challenging outdoor circumstances. Then see where you go from there.
    As far as leadership is concerned to be an officer (or at least a good one) start by asking if there is someone who has a copy of the outstanding Sandhurst leadership document Serve to Lead. Read it many times until it resonates with you. Officers are two-a-penny but good officers are rare.
    Good luck and go for it!
  12. Thanks I will I don't want to do anything else. If I failed medical or anything I would be so disappointed. Can I join even though I'm half german? And grew up in the uk so I consider myself fully British even though my dads german...
  13. British Army Entrance Fitness Requirements

PS: a soldier (especially a para) needs to be resourceful. Use Google and find this easy stuff yourself.
  14. Ok thanks for your help! I will! are you in the paras?
  15. Three suggestions:
    1. Join the cadets (it's not the army but closest you will get under age)
    2. Get on work experience (iv had a great time on my work experience courses, got the para and officer being planned this year or next)
    3. Your only 14 so don't worry about it yet, get out and party, you'll get to the point where you have revision or course work every night (i do now) and you wish you had more parties, so whilst you have time get out and have fun.
    This is from my current experiences :) and I'm still learning/taking advice
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.