Para Jump Training Towers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Canashea, Jul 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone seen this?, Its in New York, Started off as a funfair ride, It lead to US Airborne Forces training equipment

Disused but Still standing today

2. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Yes, I remember the (250 ft. Tower) Parachute Jump at Coney, Island NY. I my ex-wife and I rode on this during the 50's. (I had ridden it before, that as a child, having been sort of brought up in Broklyn, NY.) Except for the elevator type feeling when the 'chute started down, the ride was pretty tame. A beautiful view of the area when reaching the top though.

I also made (5) 250 ft. tower jumps at Ft. Benning, GA during my basic parachute school training there. Big difference? The ones at Ft. Benning released the parachute and you made a PLF on hitting the ground. I also so witnessed a poor student, get carried back into the tower, by the wind (Wind shift.) who had to cling to the tower until they (Cadre) could climb up and rescue him.) His 'chute collapsed. 8O

These towers in airborne school were used to teach 'troopers how to use their risers to slip and maneuver their parachute as well as make a Parachute Landing Fall. (PLF) Note: One of the towers was just like the one at Coney Island, it was used for VIPs and other Non-Airborne people for thrills, on open house or other special occassions.

Attached Files: