Para history - what?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Brit.Para.16, Oct 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi , i have a sergeant major interview at some point ... when i get a call and i was wondering if people could give me tips on what i need to learn exactly, such as dates and names ill need in regard of para history .. if not history then what else?

if you get back to me .... thank you
  2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

It,s always good to know a little about the Regt/corps you are joining, you dont have to be too academic, just a keen working knowledge.

good luck
  3. thanks .. well .. what iv got prepared about paras is basically ..(will try make brief) : were made on 22 june in 1940 by winston churchill after being impressed by german airborne forces during invasion of norway.. No 2 commando's chosen for parachute training in parachute training school in ringway airport near manchester, changed name to 11 special air service (britains 1st airborne operation done with this name with operation colossus- italy-raided aqueduct).. changed name to parachute regiment by 1942 - para 1st operation was in bruneval, france where they retrieved important components of german radar installation.. maroon beret was chosen and nickname "red devils" was given by the enemy after fighting in north africa when the paras were seen covered in red mud .. is that good enough?
  4. The Parachute Regiment? Marginally senior to the UDR - and they've been disbanded.
  5. erm .. yes?
  6. Thats a good start,
    What about how many battalions are there?
    Who is the colonel in chief?
    Where are they based?
  7. WAH you silly little hat
  8. Shut up skiplicking internet liar.
  9. Yeah yuou tell him fivealfer
  10. phivealpher
  11. I think he's talking about you. If he's not, he should be.
  12. As another poster (JD) has pointed out, Nessbit has got to be a WAH
  13. oh yh i know the battalions .. 1PARA-special forces support. 2PARA/3PARA-airborne light infantry (part of 16 air assault brigade). 4PARA-TA unit
    i dont know the colonel chief yet ill get looking and 2PARA is based in colchester right ...
  14. OHH prince of wales :D