para helmets

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by gorilla, Dec 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what is the black band that i keep seeing around para helmets, is it issued or is it just the inner tube from a bike tyre or something?

2. Usually a slice out of a Landrover inner tube, or sometimes just black masking tape!

3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

wot black and nasty?

4. Can someone explain what the purpose of this black band is?

_DL

5. top of an NBC boot.

Well if you wear scrim over your helmet, you will need such band to keep it in place. It also stops the cover being pulled off and looks ally. Its all about the look you see.

6. The scrim on my helmet is held pretty securely by being tucked under the cover and tightening the drawstring. I've had it like that for nearly two years, and it hasn't fallen off yet.

7. A Sapper type once told me that the band was to enable the attachment of hayricks for demolitions and was carried on the helmet for convenience. Don’t know if there is any truth in the story or if he realised that me being such a websters bloke was game for a big fat Wah!

8. Correct..

Usually worn to stop the helmet cover being worn at the base when the helmet is taken off and placed on the ground.

Also keeps the cover in place when you attach cam and stuff

Of late though has become some sort of fashion statement

9. I got advised to put it on to stop it tearing at the bottom when it gets placed on the ground or when your fighting in someones house and your scraping against walls....

10. On the subject of cutting up IPE, also read on here about cuffs cut off from NBC gloves as gaiters, roll up when crossing river etc, roll down to boot top when not needed. Soon to be trialled in a winter SENTA setting by Gook no doubt (wot no Mekong Delta?)...

11. same here, unfortunately, as others have sid, after a few years of banging it about on the ground and on various concrete parts of SENTA, there are small rips and holes over the base of the helmet. As yet I have'nt got any gucci landy inner tube as I really can't be arrsed.

.:M-F:.

12. I can’t see the point.

1. Cover up the DPM which is good at breaking up the line of the bottom of the helmet.

2. Very good in a fire as you get melted rubber dripping down your face!

3. Protects the very expensive helmet cover! Why not hand it in to the CQMS and get a new one when it’s worn-out?
    Owe can’t do that as the new one will look NEW!

Some kit is good because it is, other kit people like because they think it makes them look good.

DoE