Para Fitness Programme

#1
Hi I was wondering if any Paras or Fitness Instructors could give me a Para Fitness Programme. I have only started running a few weeks ago and I do 2.5 miles everyday, Is there anything else I could do or improve. I really need to get fit to prove that I am fit enough to join the Paras. Please help me out lads. If it helps I am 17, weigh 9 stone and my Height is 5ft 5.
 
#8
Look on Amazon for Fighting Fit by Adrian Weale. It has a specific Para Fitness program, IIRC.
 
#11
You can get it delivered for £5.80 from amazon. Id be more worried about my financial situation than fitness if you cant afford to part with that.
 
#12
AFC_1992 said:
Carcass said:
Lol I'm not fat it's muscle mate I am quite a stocky lad and I ain't using steriods
He's saying your a skinner cnut not a stocky fella. You been looking in them wide mirrors at the fair again? Anyway if you wanna go para reg just keep the running up. Get to the point progressively where you can smash a 5 miler, with the last 1.5 miles being a best effort run (ideally with a time somewhere between 8:30-9:00, but at most 9:30) and you should be ok with the selection processes you have to go through. ADSC is a stroll, PRAC afterwards is what you need to have some reasonable fitness for. Good luck fella.
 
#13
LiamP said:
AFC_1992 said:
Carcass said:
Lol I'm not fat it's muscle mate I am quite a stocky lad and I ain't using steriods
He's saying your a skinner cnut not a stocky fella. You been looking in them wide mirrors at the fair again? Anyway if you wanna go para reg just keep the running up. Get to the point progressively where you can smash a 5 miler, with the last 1.5 miles being a best effort run (ideally with a time somewhere between 8:30-9:00, but at most 9:30) and you should be ok with the selection processes you have to go through. ADSC is a stroll, PRAC afterwards is what you need to have some reasonable fitness for. Good luck fella.

Ahh thats alright then lol and yes I have been lol
Cheers fella I will do that, thing is I have always been a short distance runner I am reasonably fast and I have been a fast runner for well over 10 years, I have only just started my long distances the other week, is there any way I could get used to long distances except from running all the time?
 
#14
Robbo_the_duke said:
You can get it delivered for £5.80 from amazon. Id be more worried about my financial situation than fitness if you cant afford to part with that.
What he said! :wink:
 
#15
AFC_1992 said:
LiamP said:
AFC_1992 said:
Carcass said:
Lol I'm not fat it's muscle mate I am quite a stocky lad and I ain't using steriods
He's saying your a skinner cnut not a stocky fella. You been looking in them wide mirrors at the fair again? Anyway if you wanna go para reg just keep the running up. Get to the point progressively where you can smash a 5 miler, with the last 1.5 miles being a best effort run (ideally with a time somewhere between 8:30-9:00, but at most 9:30) and you should be ok with the selection processes you have to go through. ADSC is a stroll, PRAC afterwards is what you need to have some reasonable fitness for. Good luck fella.

Ahh thats alright then lol and yes I have been lol
Cheers fella I will do that, thing is I have always been a short distance runner I am reasonably fast and I have been a fast runner for well over 10 years, I have only just started my long distances the other week, is there any way I could get used to long distances except from running all the time?
You surely can, just be aware that the best way to prepare for something is to practice doing it, so don't neglect the running. The goal is to boost your cadiovascular ability and leg muscle strength, since these two things are what will allow you to hit those long distance runs. Don't worry too much about leg strength, if your legs are burning on a run you can just crack on through that no drama, but if you start to feel like you can't breathe after 3+ miles it's harder to push through something like that mentally. You can firstly boost CV in a normal and fun way, sport. Football with the lads, basketball, cricket, all good stuff. The 3 main alternatives that I suggest you use though when your not running are cycling (in a gym, or on the roads, your choice), rowing (prefererably in a gym) and swimming. If your able to get access to cycling and rowing then try to use a technique called Fartlek, usually used in running. Essentially you just alternate between high intensity and low intensity in say 60 second periods for your workout. Ie, pedal as fast as you can for 60 seconds, then pedal at 50% effort for 60 seconds, then 100% effort again. Do this for say 20-30 minutes, have a 5 minute rest, do the same on the rowing machine, then go cool down and do some laps of the pool and your CV will thank you in the morning. Swimming is great because it really boosts your CV, works all your body muscles but puts very little strain on them. Best of luck!
 
#17
AFC_1992 said:
I do 2.5 miles everyday.
1 of the most important things people over look when trinaing is a rest day, you need to give your muscles and energy system time to rebuild and repair in order to grow and get stronger. If you dont have this rest day then it will lead to over trianing and injury which in the long run will do more damage than good.
I would suggest that you take the rest day after your most active trianing day, i.e should you have a long run day on a sunday 10mile + then rest on the Moday.

HTH
R4
 
#18
lads with the fighting fit programme, im sure it says u have to do assualt course training or ropework, mainly in the commando programme. how do u lads go about this training as im a civvie and dont have ropes etc
 
#19
Work out what muscles and techniques the ropework help, and find other exercises.

Local park is good for pullups, monkey bars etc. Just try not to look like a kidnapper.
 
#20
Look, take a hint - you wont need to try and train now for some of the technical skills you will face in training, its like saying "well I aint got a trainasium so I cant train for that event, aint got a log or stretcher either"

You need to build your overall fitness - physical and mental.

Best tip above and beyond regular cardio and gym work would be to get in the hills carring some weight and get used to what will become your bread and butter. Dont go mad, build up with shorter and lighter increasing all the time to build your stamina and used to carrying weight over difficult terrain.

BUT - make sure you follow common sense - map reading skills, leave a route behind, train with someone etc etc and most of all - avoid injury.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads