Para Courses WW2 Ringway.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by SUNRAY_MINOR, Mar 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have access or copies of the Para Courses from WW2?
    Basically I'm researching Royal Signals on the courses and I'm after number rank name of Royal Signals soldiers on the courses.

I've tried the IWM museum at Duxford and they weren't very forthcoming about handing over the info.

I've recently got my hands on a nominal roll for 6AB Div Signals K Sect 5 Para Bde, Any other info like that would be fantastic. If anyone is willing to share.

2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You can apply for a research permit that is assuming the IWM has the info. Perhaps a trip to Kew PRO should be first on the list?

3. Personal records of WWII service personnel are not yet in the public domain, so to speak, as has been done with WWI personnel.

As ug says, try the PRO because you may well find lists tucked away in various like War Diaries. However, if and when you find lists, be careful how you display or publish the names for the reason mentioned above. Those killed in the war, as in CWGC, are mostly a matter of public record, but the survivors are not, particularly those still alive. :omg:

No.9

4. Can't you contact 216 or Blandford see if they have records? I know 216 is post war but still.

5. If you go to Caythorpe on the first weekend of Sept you could meet them in person as its Arnhem weekend, phone the MTO at 216 in Colly he will give you the gen about it

6. Me and my dad go to Arnhem we can ask for some details next time we go, have to wait till sept.

7. No.9 the info is for my own use and will not be published. I have done quite a bit of online research for WW1 individuals. I've normally used a researcher at the PRO for my Palestine 45-48 Medal Rolls etc

I know others have the Ringway info but are not willing to share.

This would throw up all R Signals personnel that were Para trained and may give insight to SAS, SOE and other interesting characters.

Ugly, I may try the research permit route with the IWM. I know they have the complete lists. I may try under the FOI, however when I asked about an individual that I was researching they asked what my relationship to the individual was as they only gave the info to NOK.

All, thanks for the input.

Much obliged

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A lad at work here has a research permit for the IWM and does research into Luftwaffe. He certainly has no problem with nominal rolls etc. Its not as if you are looking for current addresses is it?