Para cap badge

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by droglite, Oct 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me why the Para. Reg. wear the cap badge almost over the left ear and at an angle.
    Over 50 years ago when I was a Para gunner the Para. Regiment always wore the badge over the L. eye and square.
    This has bugged me for ages; I've even thought it is now because it is less of a target?

First post, and probably because it will be seen as such a naive question it may be my last out of embarrasment!

Droglite

2. Stand by.......!

3. Because they want to look ally, but end up looking gay ;)

4. You were wearing it correctly. Nowadays the Paras just like to show everyone how they do things with such gay abandon .........
    (tin hat donned :) )
    D_B

5. Well, they have to have something to show that they're different from your average infantryman, seeing as they can't afford to leap from hairyplanes anymore

6. It's also something to do with the silver badge spoiling the pinkness of the beret, so having it discreetly round the side makes them look more appealing.

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I first thought that I would post something trite on here like "Their Regimental Scary Man is obviously no longer Scary" or "Now the chefs have re-badged to the Really Large Corps, the Paras are taking over the Andy Cap Commando role and wear their pink lids appropriately".

Well no, I am not going to post anything like that, and will just manfully ignore the obvious chance of winding up Parachute Regiment once again.

Although they should be able to count themselves as having finally joined the British Army as the cavalry no longer have horses, Fusiliers no longer use Fuzils and now the Parachute regiment no longer parachute. So, welcome guys to the real British Army.

8. You could be right about it all being all about the pinkness of the beret, judging by the amount 13 Air Assault regt wearing the RLC badge over their ear. (Mainly those who don't wear wings)

9. Some jolly good comments there from a bunch of Hats!

This is the correct way!

Look left!

10. I wondered what you looked like!!

11. That was when he was young. he doesn't look anything like that now.

12. I honestly couldn't tell you why or when Para Reg's "flat cap" and "overhang" trend began but you would be mistaken if you thought it was just a "para thing". Some of the worst offenders these days are of the crap hat variety. Royal Anglians and funnily enough the Guards seem to be some of the worse copy cats.
    The saying “imitation is the best form of flattery" rings a bell here.
    Now let’s just hope these gopping porridge bodies continue their imitations of Para Reg by getting rid of the "overhangs" found above their stable belts.

13. Overhangs arent tolerated anymore.
    However the screamers in brigade take the piss.

14. As for no longer parachuting, we had aircraft in September for Arnhem.

15. So, it's just a poseur thing then!?

What's happened to Army discipline?

Droglite