Para 4 - TA

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Riggsy, Mar 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok here I go again. Probably sounding silly asking questions that probably have obvious answers.

ANYWAY - I applied to join the Paras. Did the BARB, got 62. Medical is fine. Now doing my Selection run pretty soon at Pirbright. Average 1.5mile run-time is 09:09 (based on about 30 runs) and all strength tests pretty much easy for me to pass.

So here it is...

Although I'm joining, I had no idea (until today) that Para 4 is a TA detatchment right? I wanted some full-time shit with the Paras after I pass basic training and this is where they're gonna be putting me if I complete P Coy? A weekend thing?

PLEASE someone shed some light on this for me before I go and make a fool out of myself in front of my recruiting Sgt and request a pre-entry transfer. I know I should have opened my eyes a bit more to what I wanted, but I was told this is the hardest stuff in the Infantry. I wanted it because people said it was difficult - thus logically meaning it would be worth it in the end right? Well now I'm confused. Info is much appreciated.

2. 4 Para is indeed TA. My cadet unit is co-located with their RHQ.

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

(Wah filter on)

Did you ask to join the regular army or the TA?

The initial phases are now very similar (Recruit selection, BARB test etc), but if you applied for regular you will go to Catterick for 26 weeks. If you are successful and pass CIC and P Coy, you will go to a regular Para Bn.

If you applied for the TA, you will join the 4 Para recruit training programme of 9 weekends then 2 weeks at Catterick. If you are successful, you will join the TA Para Bn.

(Wah filter off)

4. Why on earth do you think they are going to put you with 4 Para?

5. Ok thanks.
    So I wont be able to work full-time anywhere else associated with the Paras?
    I want the Paras so much, but a weekend job really isn't my thing. I'd prefer to commit myself more.

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Riggsy,

Stop posting now, for your own sake.

Go and speak to your recruiting officer, and confirm that you have applied for the regular army.

7. When I had the 'eligible jobs' sheet printed out after my BARB, it stated Para 4. I thought that meant I could only join Para 4 simply because every other Batallion was full?

I have not been informed of anything by my recruiting officer about TA yet.
    Sorry, I should have done my research earlier. But I'm doing it now.

8. No.

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I tried to help, but some people just can't be helped. Do please make sure you maintain this attitude when you start training - it well help with your fitness levels.

10. Maybe Paragragh 4? is what you were supposed to look at

11. You're a mong, it's 4 PARA. How the devil you could possibly join either the TA or the Regulars without knowing which one is beyond me.

12. I've just seen on the BBC News a story about Billy Smart's circus who were in SE London over the Easter Bank Holiday. Apparently one of their clowns is missing....

13. Ok sorry on a mature note, that was a bit out of order of me. I'm just a stubborn **** who feels ready but is still WAH. My recruiting Sgt keeps telling me he has "22 years experience and I can't complete physical tests and improve within a specific time etc etc...". We have this thing going on where I pretend I have my head screwed on completely and know exactly what I want.

For instance, my old run-time was shit = 10:18. He said it would take me 3 months to get it down to 09:00. It took me 3 weeks because I was a stubborn **** who believed it could be done (didn't matter ot me about his experience bullshit). So yea... thats why I'm asking on here.

Apologies if I'm a dick. Just want more of a headsup than anyone else. I do actually listen to advice as long as I believe its logical.

14. msr

msr LE

This has to be one of the funniest wind-ups I have seen in ages.

msr

15. Riggsy, see if 'Dumb arrse Corps' is on one of your options...then select it! I think your being a mong!

Edited to add more insults!! :D