Para 10 mile race

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by mattilon, Mar 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Ive entered the Para Pcoy 10 mile race in september for help for heroes. Im just after some advice about building my fitness up, should i start running in boots and with rucksack as soon as or build my running from scratch. I have done a few races and half marathons a few years ago but have let my cardio stuff go a bit concentrating on my weightlifting. Ive never done any load carrying or running in boots just thought i would try and get some advice of the people who know what their talking about.

2. If you go on the website,there is a training programme.Definatley do cardio!Lots of!I'm doing the Para 10 as well and I'm just concentrating on cardio and building core stability at the moment.
  3. msr

msr LE

Try the search function :roll:

4. Please, if you have never carried any weight or run in boots before take it easy. Try walking before you run in your boots, slowly increasing your distance and introducing weight 5kg at a time. Best of luck!
  5. Try giving some useful advise.

A good way to start is to find somewhere that has lamposts, where i live there is a circle with them lined up, i used to run between one pair of lamposts then fast march the next pair, keep doing that till you finish, its a good way to train, before long you will feel like you can run all the way.

Here is the 4 para fitness programme if you dont already have it

Good luck man. :D
  6. msr

msr LE

Wind your neck in. This was extensively covered last year on these forums.

7. Thanks for the replies, im pretty new to the forum didnt know it had been previously covered, I had a look at the training programme on the site which I hadnt noticed. Is the terrain that the course covers varied or is it mostly cross country up hill.
  8. All uphill for the first couiple of mile, down abit the up abit more......have a look for yourself :wink: