Papal Condoms merged thread

Sky are just reporting that a letter was sent to the Vatican by the FO asking the Pope would , bless a gay wedding, open an abortion clinic, and launc Benadict brand condoms, Milliband has gone Apeshite

Surely the FO can't be that thick? These are all on the list of Big No-Nos that you never, ever ask the Pope. :omg: :? Not unless you're itching to get excommunicated or something. :lol:

Ruckerwocman said:
Surely the FO can't be that thick? These are all on the list of Big No-Nos that you never, ever ask the Pope. :omg: :? Not unless you're itching to get excommunicated or something. :lol:
Honist, I kid you not I nearly peed myself laughing, I bet the fool that sent it is in Afghanistan for the rest of his life

Either a prank from a third party, or a disgruntled/terminally stupid low-level employee. What's the outrage?

EDIT: The full story's hilarious!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-apology-Pope-condom-slur-mocking-email-storm

In the document, staff who were asked to propose ideas for the 'ideal' visit suggested Benedict XVI could launch a new range of 'Benedict' condoms or back a Miss Developing World beauty contest.

Sources in Rome said the document also proposed that the Pope might sing a duet with the Queen to raise money for charity. The pair are due to meet during the Pontiff's visit in September.

The memo, which has dismayed Church leaders in Britain, is also understood to suggest that the leader of the world's one billion Roman Catholics could apologise for the Spanish Armada, reverse his ban on women priests and visit an old people's home.

A graphic attached to the document listed 'positive' people who could be associated with the trip, including former Prime Minister Tony Blair and the singer Susan Boyle, and 'negative' ones, such as England footballer Wayne Rooney. All three are Catholics - with Boyle a former singer in her parish choir and Blair converting to the faith two years ago.

Ruckerwocman said:
It appears to be an internal memo that was circulated within the FO and leaked to the Telegraph.

The worrying thing is that it appears to be a serious document rather than some sort of joke gone wrong. Output from a 'brain storming' session apparently.

Don't worry though, the official responsible has been transferred to other duties. If the same official had suggested Obama should attend a BNP rally on his last visit, he'd have been lucky not to have been prosecuted.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I bet Tony 'Jesus Christ our Lord Incarnate' Blair has been giving his stooge Bruin a good verbal shoeing over this. I would have said Milliband, but we all know that cnut is inept.

Tone can't have Pappa Nazi being dissed now that he's revealed his true calling now can he?

Seems like a perfect opportunity for Il Papa to get with the times and show that the Vatican does have a progressive outlook to life. He should take up on some of these quite reasonable ideas and watch the masses flock to him. I for one would pay to see a concert of him and Brenda.

"I bet the fool that sent it is in Afghanistan for the rest of his life"

Disgusting should be sacked unemployed and finished.

john
Mind you best laugh I've had for ages.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It will probably turn out that the person doing this was just doing a few years in the FO before becoming a Member of Parliament :D

It typifies the way that this appalling Government's culture has pervaded departments such as the FO. Can you imagine even these supposedly 'low grade' officials even sitting down to discuss being 'funny' about Islam? No, of course not - Christianity (of whatever flavour) is seen as a hang-over from our days as evil Imperialists and that it is 'street' and 'liberal' to be flippant, disrespectful and rude about this country's established religion. On the other hand, at least the Pope is unlikely to launch a Jihad and behead people for this slight on his faith - unlike certain other faiths that Labour dare not offend.

This letter out of the FO, in my mind typifies what this government thinks of its white indiginous[sp] population.
All this shows is the intelligence of some government employees is well below sub-normal.
This might have come out of a "junior" staff "blue sky thinking" meeting and it was definately "out of the box", but its still been circulating around Whitehall for a couple of weeks, and has more than likely been seen by "senior" staff and ministers.
Milliped can put his "outrage" on hold the mans a twunt.
If had been a Middle Eastern type religious leader that had been insulted like this Whitehall would be under siege by now.

Still as long as I stay employed, keep paying my taxes and keep the country in the lifestyle its be come accustomed too, thats all right.

My disappointment in this once great nation is growing weekly, I'm ashamed to be English.

CG

I thought it was quite funny - I think that it may be that the person suggested it 'tongue in cheek' but the person taking the minutes either didnt have a sense of humour, or had an axe to grind.

Either way its no worse than some of the many non PC suggestions I've heard over the years in military or OGD meetings.