Panorama Tonight BBC 1 21.00 hrs.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ALVIN, Feb 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In tonight's episode ......... Colonel Tim Collins reports for Panorama on the struggles of former members of the British military as they face a return to civilian life.

Link .... BBC - Panorama - Panorama

A land NOT fit for heroes ??
  2. Was it ever? Mr Kipling springs to mind his poems have never grown old.
  3. TOMMY
    by Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936)

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
    The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
    The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
    I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
    O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
    But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
    The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
    O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
    They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
    They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
    But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
    For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
    But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
    The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
    O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
    Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
    An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
    Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
    But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
    But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
    An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
    Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
    While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
    But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
    There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
    O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
    We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
    Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
    The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
    For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
    But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
    An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
    An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!
  4. Looking forward to it, and Mr (Col. retd) Collins seems an ideal bloke to do this IMHO. For any who've been homeless, slept rough, been in Hostels, and also for those who reckon it's all their own fault and they couldn't be bothered to set themselves up properly.

It's a welcome programme perhaps even the most hardline or intolerant cynic will watch. Even if the Beeb spins it.

It's all their own fecking fault, losers, bums and hobos. Admin cases, lazy and relied on the State to sort them out. ;-)
  5. Just watched this programme and whilst not a big fan of Col Tim, I thought it was a good item whith no spin. Told the story as it was.
  6. I'm no fan either but fair play to him, that was honestly done, and with clear sincerity. Good on him.

7. Amazed at how unbiased it was for the beeb . My ol fella worked for ssafa-- grandad was forces relocation officer for east midlands in sixties and seventies Major John Church for any that met him . At least then there were council houses and jobs to slot leavers into .

Current situation is shite .
  8. I thought so too. He made the point very clearly that the majority of veterans do not encounter the type of problem described, but a significant minority do. There was little or no "whining". The guys who were interviewed came over well, yet they still had experienced problems.
  9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

10. Why pick that one? "The Last of the Light Brigade" would have been more fitting.
  11. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

I arsked my muvver in law if she liked kipling , she sais she dunno as she has never kippled .

Didnt like to arsk her about dickens .......

back to the plot , I am in Contact with an Alkie ex 2 para sgt. He is trying to get help but is in a bad way . I know he has a council home and I am trying to get him into rehab. He doesn't really want to know I am afraid , but he goes out begging to get smoke and booze money but surely being a sgt an serving from the 1970' onwards if he has done enough time he would have a pension would he not ??

On the upside An ex lance jack who served in afgan at the beginning of this mess is now getting ready to work nights trying to help homeless ex squads get into night shelter or permanent housing . It seems most of them have some form of mental illness to deal with as well. poor sods.

I wonder why it is down to charities who have to fight like billy ho to get funding to have to do this great work ? bloody politcos .
  12. Because government think that charities are good enough for us veterans.

We are all charity cases now, that is the view of Her Majesty's Government.

The ******* used and abused us all.

The scrap heap is all that welcomes us now.

So much for the debt of honer eh?

That is the thanks you get today for fighting for your country and preserving freedom and democracy.

MPs attitude to veterans ............ **** you jack, I am O.K.
  13. The problem is that in the 60's & 70's many of those in senior postions had fulfilled some form of military service and had an understanding of the needs of veterans, but take a look and see how many current MP's, councillors and heads of NGO's who have military service under their belt, very few indeed. The issue is that these people don't give a toss, and are guided by and listen to those with a passing interest, but no personal experience, in veterans welfare until the next big thing comes along. Tossers led by tossers comes to mind.

Society is happy to wave the flag, but not provide the moral support which is owed to a great many veterans, they would rather leave it to underfunded, and overworked charities, not all of whom truly have veterans interests at heart. It's a sad world we live in indeed.
  14. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Local Goverment is increasingly thinking of Service charities as an extention of their departments.
    I've even been approached by social services to see if we could help someone because their grandfather was a national serviceman!