Panorama - Soldiers in the classroom

Just watched this... brilliant!

Just what the country needs to "reboot" common sense and decent behaviour into society.

What an indictment of 50 years of the teaching profession! Is this the end of the long march of the left?

It was worth watching just to see the reaction of the NUT spokeswoman!

Just watched this... brilliant!

Just what the country needs to "reboot" common sense and decent behaviour into society.

What an inditement of 50 years of the teaching profession! Is this the end of the long march of the left?

It was worth watching just to see the reaction of the NUT spokeswoman!
What was said?

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Christine Blower, (right name for her) when asked if their was a discipline problem in our schools and did ex service personnel do any better in dealing with children at non proforming schools, her reply was immediate saying we needed more data from offstead, to answer this. on the question that ex service personell took less days off sick and spent more time on extra cirricula subjects/activities with children yet again more data needed. I can understand her position she,s looking after her teachers, but why look after bad teachers. Same old same old. No such thing as a bad student, as all good DS,s know.

Christine Blower, (right name for her) when asked if their was a discipline problem in our schools and did ex service personnel do any better in dealing with children at non proforming schools, her reply was immediate saying we needed more data from offstead, to answer this.

And that, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with teaching in this country.

No independent thought, only regurgitating the approved 'group think'.

I found the programme very interesting.

I was on course to fail my exams until a particular teacher took interest and bumped my grades up. He was an ex-HAC Sgt. His stories of exercises and so on is one of the things that prompted me to first join the ACF and go forward to the TA and now regular forces.

Doesn't hurt to mould your beret though. Looks a bit more proffesional. It feels good to look good, when I look in the mirror on the way out to cadets I feel proud of m'self because my uniform standard is high.

Pararegtom

LE
Book Reviewer
Doesn't hurt to mould your beret though. Looks a bit more proffesional. It feels good to look good, when I look in the mirror on the way out to cadets I feel proud of m'self because my uniform standard is high.
LLm im chuffed you feel that way, but in the real world it,s not how you wear your Beret, or your combats and you are learning skills that will take you forward in life , and these kids will do the same in time. I was a cadet 40 years ago and went on to regulars and I thank my teachers who mostly were second world war soldiers and 2, who were 1st world war soldiers. Who taught me Discipline and manners cost nothing. Keep up the good work LLm.

Back in school I had an ex-Royal Marine as a history teacher. Generally a very popular teacher, and there wasn't too much ****ing about in his lessons.

Had an excellent ex RA Captain as head of discipline at my school who stopped me going off the tracks. Absolutely hated him the entire way through school but realised as soon as I got my A-Levels how much he'd done for me, need more like him in schools.

Interesting programme . Christine Blower said unruly behaviour wasn't a significant problem! Probably not if you average it out over all the pupils and schools, but individual schools/classes/teachers , particularly in some inner city areas, have pleny of problems. This is where the Government see ex-miltary having an influence.
I went to a 1970's Comprehensive school, classes were pretty disciplined in the main, but 'weak' teachers were expolited. My English teacher, the rumour was, ex-Para Reg. This was bolstered when we read 'The Red Beret' by Hilary st.George Saunders. When i was leaving school , I asked him and he said 'good god, No! I couldn't jump out of a plane!! But all the way through school, we had been like church mice in his class , such was the aura that he was a wartime ex-Para.

Watched it last night and found it interesting. It's not just about unruly behaviour in the classroom. It's about what ex forces bring to the classroom in terms of experience and attitude. The ex Booty WO who is now a head teacher proved the point. Not afraid to make changes for the better of the school and PUPILS or get rid of uneeded positions that automatically label kids as backward. He'd clearly turned the school round by building an effective team by placing teachers into positions that reflected THEIR ability with a no nonsense approach. Good man.

In inner city schools unruly behaviour in the classroom is, as Ms/Mrs Blower rightly pointed out, not a significant problem. But the problem is what those minority of unruly pupils do out of school. If extra curricular activities such as CCF/ACF guide even a few of these kids away from gangs and drugs then it is well worth the time and effort and will help them become more able students.

If disciplines not a problem, then how does that square with the article in the Sunday TImes news review this week, by the teacher that was sacked for telling it like it was, about life in inner city schools?

Teaching is a joke, its a self serving profession looking after its own members and trendy methods and not giving a damn about the generation of failures that its foisting on this country. The sooner some order is restored in the classrooms the better.