Panorama - Soldiers in the classroom

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HE117, Feb 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watched this... brilliant!

Just what the country needs to "reboot" common sense and decent behaviour into society.

What an indictment of 50 years of the teaching profession! Is this the end of the long march of the left?

It was worth watching just to see the reaction of the NUT spokeswoman!

2. What was said?

3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Christine Blower, (right name for her) when asked if their was a discipline problem in our schools and did ex service personnel do any better in dealing with children at non proforming schools, her reply was immediate saying we needed more data from offstead, to answer this. on the question that ex service personell took less days off sick and spent more time on extra cirricula subjects/activities with children yet again more data needed. I can understand her position she,s looking after her teachers, but why look after bad teachers. Same old same old. No such thing as a bad student, as all good DS,s know.

4. And that, in a nutshell, is what's wrong with teaching in this country.

No independent thought, only regurgitating the approved 'group think'.

5. Pararegtom

S1 go onto bbc website and you can get transcripts of the programme.

6. The cadets' uniforms are shocking.

7. I found the programme very interesting.

I was on course to fail my exams until a particular teacher took interest and bumped my grades up. He was an ex-HAC Sgt. His stories of exercises and so on is one of the things that prompted me to first join the ACF and go forward to the TA and now regular forces.

8. Pararegtom

Who cares, they have a feeling of belonging and are proud of what they are doing, Drill pigs need not apply .

9. Doesn't hurt to mould your beret though. Looks a bit more proffesional. It feels good to look good, when I look in the mirror on the way out to cadets I feel proud of m'self because my uniform standard is high.

10. Pararegtom

LLm im chuffed you feel that way, but in the real world it,s not how you wear your Beret, or your combats and you are learning skills that will take you forward in life , and these kids will do the same in time. I was a cadet 40 years ago and went on to regulars and I thank my teachers who mostly were second world war soldiers and 2, who were 1st world war soldiers. Who taught me Discipline and manners cost nothing. Keep up the good work LLm.

11. Back in school I had an ex-Royal Marine as a history teacher. Generally a very popular teacher, and there wasn't too much ****ing about in his lessons.

12. I had a science teacher who explained velocity, mechanics and explosive gases with the aid of a bren. Best damn lesson.