Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Panorama investigation into abuse in the ACF

2/51

LE
Seems Panorama are investigating rumours of abuse in the ACF going back decades.

Whilst I fully support any legal investigation, Panorama is very good at stating half facts and letting the audience come up with 5.

I believe there has been some activity around trying to get information from CFAV. We have been reminded not to speak to the press/media and to direct any questions to the correct authorities.

There is a Twitter account that's been set up that portrays to be an ACF account, but is in fact a Panorama front.

Into the odd isolated cases that have been well reported in the past (e.g. Hants ACF's former Commandant) or allegations of supposed institutional abuse?

Which account; or is it just the duty rumour?

The account mentioned is @cadetabuse

The email is from Valerie McBurney, Head of Volunteer Recruitment and Communications, ACF Association down in London.

We have since had official communication from out Cadet Executive Officer.

Into the odd isolated cases that have been well reported in the past (e.g. Hants ACF's former Commandant) or allegations of supposed institutional abuse?

I believe institutional...."Panorama investigation is in its infancy in regards to historic sexual abuse in the ACF"

Best way forward is to not talk to people you don't know, about things you don't know about or don't have the right to speak on the subject officially.

Seems Panorama are investigating rumours of abuse in the ACF....

It's quite worrying that you've only just been informed of the fact, we were told a fair while ago, the original twitter account even had the ACF logo in what seemed like an attempt to mislead people into thinking it was an ACF account...

I bet Panorama have been looking at every youth organisation and will be showing programmes on each one, in turn.

It will take just one hint at something dodgy and they will have enough to build a programme round it.

I bet Panorama have been looking at every youth organisation and will be showing programmes on each one, in turn.

It will take just one hint at something dodgy and they will have enough to build a programme round it.
I was in the Scouts and can honestly say I wasn't abused...

Any youth organisation, from schools to scouts, will attract active child abusers and others who have an unnatural interest in kids. They can only do their best to keep them out. Remember that people wont show up on a list or a PNC check until they have been caught and the days when somebody could be sacked for being "a bit strange" are long gone.

I remember an episode of Panorama from a few years ago. It was a hidden camera report from a bail hostel. The theme was all of the parolees and bailed suspects living in the hostel continued to commit crime so funding the hostel was pointless.

They weren't kidding. A new resident, Frank Parker, moved into the hostel. He was out on parole after doing 39 years for molesting and murdering a 10 year old girl. Almost immediately, he started approaching young girls. The Panorama reporter phoned the police. Nothing changed so he phoned the police again. Nothing.

Finally, Frank was seen entering a house and young girls were subsequently brought to the house. The reporter phoned the police again, told the operator that he was a BBC reporter and that Frank was going to be starring on nationwide TV the following week.

The police were there within 5 minutes. Frank was back in jail the same day and ministers were falling over themselves to "learn lessons". The subsequent Home Office enquiry found that a number of people had not done their jobs and, in particular, the police had not notified the probation service that Parker was associating with young girls, in breach of his parole conditions.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody was sacked for negligently allowing a convicted paedophile and child killer to access young girls. Compare that with the police officer posting on here a while ago who was sacked for using his warrant card to get free rail travel that he wasn't entitled to. Or the detective who was suspended pending dismissal by his Chief Constable for referring to a turban as a "tea cosy" after a police disciplinary tribunal had decided to take no further action.

It seems that the "blind eye" mentality prevailed long before the Rotheram abuse scandal. What's more of a scandal is that dangerous paedos are being released into the community, left to their own devices and the obvious consequences are swept under the carpet unless senior politicians are exposed to personal embarrassment.