Panorama 26th March....

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jack-daniels, Mar 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldiers on the Run, BBC 1, about the increasing numbers of soldiers going AWOL.
  2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

"Soliders on the Run" doesnt sound as good as "Nuns on the run" now that was a good film.
  3. Mmm, Shower scene
  4. While googling for 'nuns', some may also find this info helpful:

Mon 26 Mar, 8:30 pm - 9:00 pm 30mins

Investigation into the increasing numbers of British soldiers returning from Iraq and going AWOL, rather than facing life in the British Army. Featuring the stories of young men who return from battle so scarred and disillusioned they vow never to return even if it means going on the run.

to be repeated Fri 30 Mar, 1:25 am - 1:55 am[hr]

Good afternoon.

I have just watched BBC News, and they have come up with the astonishing figure of 10,000 AWOL since the start of the GW!

Further, they allege that 1,100 are currently on the run

This can't be right - can it? I know I'm out of touch - but if these figures are correct there would have been more publicity given to the problem?

All will become clear apparently, on Panorama tonght.

What are the current punishments for going AWOL on Active Service? When I served, they were draconian.

6. You ain't seen me, roight?
  7. Given your descriptions of your size, what are you currently disguised as - a brick khazi? :D
  8. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I think you will find the numbers are slightly higher, than that. A lot of AWOL's are not reported and are kept in house.
  9. Another piece of negative work from the BBC, regarding the army.

Geez, they must really hate it.
  10. 10,000 AWOL is a work of pure fiction that is 10% of the Army which would clearly be missed. 1100 could be realistic.

The suggestion that AWOL goes unreported taking that fictious 10,000 even higher is also bollocks. If a soldier is missing for a very brief period then it is often dealt with as missing a parade true. But then there has always been a difference between AWOL and late for a parade.
  11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

The issue is why these alleged 10,000 have gone AWOL and how many are the result of Iraq, Afghan etc. My suspicion is that the majority will be for the same old, same old reasons: debt, family problems and so forth. I'm sure that 'trauma' from operations is the cause in some cases but AWOL is a perennial problem and I'm not aware that the numbers have jumped enormously.
  12. At the risk of appearing pro-BBC, which I'm often not, don't you think it'd be worth waiting and viewing this thing, rather than pre-judging it?

If the programme concludes with what seems to be indicated in the pre-publicity, the blame finger's more likely to be pointed at the Bliar govt., than at the Army as an institution.
  13. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I agree with caubeen here.
    The issue should be why these xxx soldiers went AWOL &,more importantly,what is being done about it from a preventive standpoint.
  14. Yeah should be interesting. I've never tolerated anyone who goes AWOL, most of the ones I came across used family problems as an excuse hoping they would get sympathy.

We all had to do the mundane boring tasks in camp - same as any job really. Defo not an excuse to go AWOL tho.

I expect the BBC editing team has done a bit of overtime with this one - we'll see.

P.S. Just posted this same answer on the other Panorama thread - yes, there's two, the other being in Current Affairs. Anyway sorry for the duplicate answer.

15. Thank you for the response. At the risk of seeming absurdly archaic and reactionary, I am still at a loss to understand why so many (if the figures are true) go absent from Active Service?

I reiterate my earlier question - what are the the penalties these days for going AWOL from Active Service?

The penalties used to be so severe, that the soldier's (lengthy) sojourn in Colchester, would be the least of his problems.

If he ever returned to his Regiment, he would find that his erstwhile comrades-in-arms had long memories and heavy boots.

Memory, of course, may be tricking me, but I really feel that this tended to be less of a problem say 35, years ago than it is now, and for several reasons:

Firstly, the principle of 'collective punishment' - for instance, if someone failed to return from R&R during Active Service - the next two due to go would automatically forfeit the privilege.

Secondly, the certain knowledge that if one ever saw daylight again, one would be Persona non grata throughout the Regiment.

I cannot believe that today's young soldiers are any less courageous than those that went before, so what can be the reason? - Loss of Esprit de Corps? - Lack of effective deterrent? - Less cohesion and camaraderie between the troops?

I honestly don't understand it, and I would be obliged for any thoughts from those currently serving.

Edited to add: Well, I payed close attention to Panorama - and I must be a Dinosaur or obtuse (or both) because I still don't get it.