Panning for Gold in Scotland

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by LordVonHarley, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ever since I visited Perth Mint when I was a teenager I have always fancied putting my hand to panning for gold, I could grow a beard and wear a lumber jack shirt, eat refried beans anf corned beef and come home rich.
    My Old Gran used to tell me about gold being found in the local area and how Scotland had a gold rush.

Some of my friends fancy going camping this summer and I have had the bright idea of putting the two togeather and doing one of those Gold Panning weekends holiday type things.

Anyone done a panning weekend?
    Will we find enough to pay for a fish supper?
  2. Have a look at this site, they apparently offer courses and there is gold in them there hills. Personally I think the only gold you will find is the the warm caramel centre of a deep fried mars bar :)
  3. Feck off you Aengles tis mine. :D
  4. They are one of the ones I was thinking about, beer, the great out doors and gold at $1005.70 an ounce :D
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

There was a thing about this in the Sunday Times week before last, in a review of metal detector / treasure hunter kit in (I think) the Motoring section. Sounded like a laugh, but dont plan on buying the beers with the results, much less a Bentley.
  6. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Oh, I am sorry. I though you were refering to the popular Weegie sport of assualting another person for those golden nuggets minted in England so they can afford to purchase another can of Special Brew or Buckfast!!

My mistake. :wink:
  7. Remember, if some oatmeal ethnic offers to show you where the golden rivets are, it's probably a wise idea to decline this offer...
  8. There are people making a reasonable living from gold panning.
    But don't expect great things!
  9. Don't know about gold in Scotland, but they did recently find some copper in Snowdon.
  10. Is 'Panning' another pointless Olympic sport? Are you going for gold in Scotland? Oh ... see wht you mean now! :oops:

No need to go to Scotland, just come to NE Kent. Go into the nearest Weatherspoons and give the first chav you see a panning. Should yield about half a pound of gold chain. But more likely $1.50 an ounce than $1005.70! 8O
  11. Lots of useful links here.

However, what they don't tell you is part of the essential kit is a huge mishaped floppy hat, oversise cord trousers with loud braces and a clay pipe.
  12. That is the wittiest thing I think I have ever read on the internet. Pure class. :clap:
  13. Daviroo, all can say is you must have led a sheltered life. :D :D :p
  14. razor sharp sir, don't think that will be topped for a long long time. :D