Panning for Gold in Scotland

Ever since I visited Perth Mint when I was a teenager I have always fancied putting my hand to panning for gold, I could grow a beard and wear a lumber jack shirt, eat refried beans anf corned beef and come home rich.
My Old Gran used to tell me about gold being found in the local area and how Scotland had a gold rush.

Some of my friends fancy going camping this summer and I have had the bright idea of putting the two togeather and doing one of those Gold Panning weekends holiday type things.

Anyone done a panning weekend?
Will we find enough to pay for a fish supper?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
There was a thing about this in the Sunday Times week before last, in a review of metal detector / treasure hunter kit in (I think) the Motoring section. Sounded like a laugh, but dont plan on buying the beers with the results, much less a Bentley.

mysteron

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh, I am sorry. I though you were refering to the popular Weegie sport of assualting another person for those golden nuggets minted in England so they can afford to purchase another can of Special Brew or Buckfast!!

My mistake. :wink:

Remember, if some oatmeal ethnic offers to show you where the golden rivets are, it's probably a wise idea to decline this offer...

Is 'Panning' another pointless Olympic sport? Are you going for gold in Scotland? Oh ... see wht you mean now! :oops:

No need to go to Scotland, just come to NE Kent. Go into the nearest Weatherspoons and give the first chav you see a panning. Should yield about half a pound of gold chain. But more likely $1.50 an ounce than $1005.70! 8O

Lots of useful links here.

http://www.hmag.gla.ac.uk/neil/gold/gold.htm

However, what they don't tell you is part of the essential kit is a huge mishaped floppy hat, oversise cord trousers with loud braces and a clay pipe.

daviroo said:
General_Layabout said:
Don't know about gold in Scotland, but they did recently find some copper in Snowdon.
That is the wittiest thing I think I have ever read on the internet. Pure class. :clap:
Daviroo, all can say is you must have led a sheltered life. :D :D :p

daviroo said:
General_Layabout said:
Don't know about gold in Scotland, but they did recently find some copper in Snowdon.
That is the wittiest thing I think I have ever read on the internet. Pure class. :clap:
razor sharp sir, don't think that will be topped for a long long time. :D

The gold road's sure a long road
winds on through the hills for fifteen days

The pack on my back is achin'
the straps seem to cut me like a knife

The gold road's sure a long road
winds on through the hills for fifteen days

The pack on my back is achin'
the straps seem to cut me like a knife

I'm no clown, I won't back down
I don't need you to tell me what's goin' down
down, down, down, down, da down, down, down