Panic buying / stocking up

It would appear that panic buying in Germany is dying down. Things are more or less normal, things like noodles, flour and bog roll are no longer completely sold out. There has been much speculation in the media why so much bog roll has been hoarded, although nobody seems to know exactly why. Today in Lidl there was a big pile of 16 pack bog rolls. People were still taking 2 bags, thats 32 bog rolls. That's about 6 months worth for the Boss and I, so even a family consisting of 2 parents and 2 children should be able to last 3 months on that. Plus the factories are full and delivering at max rate. The Cloggies had a quick dig at the Germans, the prime minister of the Netherlands said on German TV "we have so much toilet paper we can kack for 10 months".

Old-Salt
Got a text from the eldest child before visiting with cake for Mothers Day last weekend to enquire if we needed anything from the shops. No says I, was there yesterday and found plenty of smoked salmon and asparagus. Already had a case of Chablis in store.

I think she thought I was joking. Until she checked the fridge!

We must maintain standards in difficult times. Anyway if we old duffers are going to get it - I am going well fed. :)

It would appear that panic buying in Germany is dying down. Things are more or less normal, things like noodles, flour and bog roll are no longer completely sold out. There has been much speculation in the media why so much bog roll has been hoarded, although nobody seems to know exactly why. Today in Lidl there was a big pile of 16 pack bog rolls. People were still taking 2 bags, thats 32 bog rolls. That's about 6 months worth for the Boss and I, so even a family consisting of 2 parents and 2 children should be able to last 3 months on that. Plus the factories are full and delivering at max rate. The Cloggies had a quick dig at the Germans, the prime minister of the Netherlands said on German TV "we have so much toilet paper we can kack for 10 months".
I was talking to one of the engineers yesterday who is based in Dublin, who services one of the instruments I look after. He says that the panic buying more or less stopped some while ago as people realised that the supply line hadn't broken.
With regard to toilet roll specifically, Mrs Pvivax and I are both NHS,I'm laboratory (Haematology)and she is nuclear medicine. In her case she is totally patient facing ,whereas I currently am not. We took the decision 10 days or so ago to self isolate from each other as she owns a property in her own right and that my usefulness to the NHS in this current situation trumps hers. I have been living alone for nearly two weeks. I loaded a new roll on saturday morning I have barely used a quarter (notwithstanding the one crap I've had in work this week) @Drlligaf our calculations would appear to be close enough. As I've said in another post ,people are greatly overestimating their requirements.

I was talking to one of the engineers yesterday who is based in Dublin, who services one of the instruments I look after. He says that the panic buying more or less stopped some while ago as people realised that the supply line hadn't broken.
With regard to toilet roll specifically, Mrs Pvivax and I are both NHS,I'm laboratory (Haematology)and she is nuclear medicine. In her case she is totally patient facing ,whereas I currently am not. We took the decision 10 days or so ago to self isolate from each other as she owns a property in her own right and that my usefulness to the NHS in this current situation trumps hers. I have been living alone for nearly two weeks. I loaded a new roll on saturday morning I have barely used a quarter (notwithstanding the one crap I've had in work this week) @Drlligaf our calculations would appear to be close enough. As I've said in another post ,people are greatly overestimating their requirements.
Self isolation?

So who's smashing Mrs pvivax?

Self isolation?

So who's smashing Mrs pvivax?
Since she's a Red Arrows obsessive person,the pool of potential candidates is very small nor do we live anywhere near RAF Scampton. Luckily I got in ,as it were , before she developed this obsession.

Since she's a Red Arrows obsessive person,the pool of potential candidates is very small nor do we live anywhere near RAF Scampton. Luckily I got in ,as it were , before she developed this obsession.
That the pool of potential candidates is very small matters not a jot when Winston and Leroy are in town.

That the pool of potential candidates is very small matters not a jot when Winston and Leroy are in town.
I fear the names wouldn't appeal... Mrs Pvivax..not a racist...Mrs Pvivax...not a racist...though it is understood that anybody could have these names.

We did a fly drive type holiday staying in some very naice hotels. The mini bottles of soap, shampoo and smelly stuff were all top name stuff that costs an absolute fortune, and only available at counters in large department stores not off the shelf in supermarkets.

At the end of the fortnight the daughter comes up and asks if she can put some stuff in the suitcases as she would not be able to take it in carry on luggage. "Yeah, sure, give it here". Bearing in mind she was about 14 at the time so top label stuff was like currency at school, her holdall was full of mini bottles (well over 60) of stuff she had been pilfering from the hotels and was intending to give away as prezzies back at school.

We let her keep half a dozen of each bottle as a reward for having shown initiative.
Late Feb-early Mar hols in Penang to help SWMBOs Brother and his SWMBO celebrate their 50yrs of Wedded Blitz, the pub did a quite nice line in toiletries, and daily replenished gratis drinkies ... neither which a couple of the four of thought it was quite the done thing to ”use” all of daily to generate “bring-home-stocks of ... Grrrrrr!
6AFC498B-6214-402B-BFED-5C2A22DDEE79.jpeg
4193376A-4EBE-4D56-B2D9-A4D278A6337E.jpeg
EB1E4F1E-7466-46C3-BD9C-872A358A0A85.jpeg

Attachments

Just done the weekly shop, no bog roll, no pasta, biscuits & tinned goods very depleted (no mushy peas - WTF?) and two old farts arguing toe-to-toe over the last bag of strong bread flour....
Droid on the till noticed me wearing nitrile disposable gloves and commented that I was the fourth person she'd seen wearing them, followed by a half laugh, I said I thought it was a sensible precaution as God-knows how many snotty children and chavs had wiped their hands on the trolley and at least i'd not gone for the mask as well. Clearly she felt the need to tell me that the masks don't work, so I asked her why the medics wore them then? - the answer was 'well they only work for fifteen minutes'...
She’d be one one of the ones who whilst having a durry on her break ... removes/replaces the mask each time for the inhale/exhale, thus “... only ... fifteen minutes.” That they breed frightens the bejeebus out of me!

Just been to our local Aldi as it's one of the nearest to us. Missus gave me a big shopping list as it's only one allowed in a car and one allowed in the shop.
Completely stocked up with almost everything. They've closed the fresh bakery bit so couldn't get croissants but got a pack of enseimadas instead. Bog roll aisle full, hand wash and sanitizer aisle full, fresh bread aisle full except for the in store bakery.
Only thing empty was fresh milk. Looks like they are having problems getting that stuff in so had to settle for some UHT semi skimmed of which they had loads.
Even got a dozen large eggs but that shelf was the only thing looking a bit empty. I think there were only a dozen or so boxes left and none of the huge trays they normally have.
Fruit and veg aisles full even strawberries, raspberries, blueberries etc. Got a pack of the former plus some fresh cream and some sour cream for the tacos.
Not keen on the meat section in Aldi but got a pork fillet joint, ham, bacon and some chicken legs. We have quite a bit of other stuff in already.

Sign says no more than 30 in the shop but there were only about a dozen of us and all keeping their distance. Got back and washed the hands thoroughly plus washed the shopping bags out in hot water and washing up liquid just in case.

Hopefully last us at least another week so won't have to go out again until then.

Finally, and the better for it, Tesco across our road is cordoned off...with resulting long Q of faces having given up the will to live. One out....one in.
No chance of dodging back in the usual two way sliding doors....out means out.
Only needed a few odds n sods anyhow that can wait till tomorrow's supposed NHS heroes one and genuine all:rolleyes: & the General Sharters' Pension Club. At least they can spot ( and sniff test) a genuine sharter.
Of which I'm not one before you rotten barstards weigh in.;)

Tool

LE
‘American mustard’?? Rank.

Spare a thought for the various smack heads and crack whores - how are they coping at this difficult time?
Agree with the first re American "mustard".
As to the second - they just jump to the front of the queue for their methadone dosages. Just happened to me and about 15 others waiting for our Boots to open. Feckenbastard.

Yokel

LE
I was going to ask if postal deliveries had been stopped, but then it arrived. I assume postal services continue, but routine administrative function of local/nation Government have been scaled back?

I has to pop out the the local village. The Post Office/Newsagent was only allowing two people in the shop at a time, the bakers only allowed one person in at the time, and so did the butcher. No problem with people getting too close to each other, but life continues and local businesses still need custom.

Boots up here has gone to telephone bookings. Ring up, get yer slot, rock up at prescribed time. Only one in at a time, meds left on counter, staff retreat to back of pharmacy so no contact.

Londo

LE
I thought I could detect your brain re my Sharty status ticking over.;););)
My brain is suffering from a headache at the moment so I'm off to the garden to do some social distancing . I wont be able to hear the Mrs shouting at the telly from there .

Latest Threads