Panic buying / stocking up

I always keep a half tank minimum. Its my one rule in life.

For what crisis doeth I prepare mineself I here thee cry?

Let me take you gentlemen back to 2014. Young tango is in Brecon for his first ever battle course. Despite all odds, he's found himself a half decent lass in Cardiff.

2300 hrs on a Friday night. He has returned from a week of disappointing command appointments and is enjoying a kebab in brecon. His phone bells, she is requesting his affections.

Cut a long story short, I ran out of petrol in merthr tidfyl and if it weren't for the local rugby team pushing the wagon into the petrol station I'd probably still be stuck there.

I had a similar experience to yourself.

Early nineties I was standing by HMS Iron Duke in build at Yarrow Shipyard on the Clyde. One weekend I got stitched up for duty driver. There wasn't much fuel in the Pusser's Tilly so I asked the Jossman for the fuel card so I could fill it up but he refused to give it to me. I didn't have any money and even if I had there was no way I was going to pay out of my own pocket to put fuel in.

On the Sunday afternoon I gets a call to pick up a group of naval officers from Glasgow Airport, which I did. They emerged from the airport, all wearing their no.1 uniform. On the return to Glasgow we were trundling down the A82 Great Western Road when the inevitable happened and the minibus ran out of fuel. Fortunately the petrol station wasn't too far away so there was I, steering the Tilly, whilst half a dozen naval officers in uniform pushed the Tilly along the dual carriageway to the petrol station.

Let's just say that the Joss had the hump with me on Monday morning and wanted to troop me but didn't have a leg to stand on so couldn't.

WhiskeyTango

Old-Salt
I had a similar experience to yourself.

Early nineties I was standing by HMS Iron Duke in build at Yarrow Shipyard on the Clyde. One weekend I got stitched up for duty driver. There wasn't much fuel in the Pusser's Tilly so I asked the Jossman for the fuel card so I could fill it up but he refused to give it to me. I didn't have any money and even if I had there was no way I was going to pay out of my own pocket to put fuel in.

On the Sunday afternoon I gets a call to pick up a group of naval officers from Glasgow Airport, which I did. They emerged from the airport, all wearing their no.1 uniform. On the return to Glasgow we were trundling down the A82 Great Western Road when the inevitable happened and the minibus ran out of fuel. Fortunately the petrol station wasn't too far away so there was I, steering the Tilly, whilst half a dozen naval officers in uniform pushed the Tilly along the dual carriageway to the petrol station.

Let's just say that the Joss had the hump with me on Monday morning and wanted to troop me but didn't have a leg to stand on so couldn't.
Brilliant

TamH70

MIA
The BP filling station near to that previously referred to roundabout in Paisley is still out of fuel. I know this because I walked to and from the ASDA shop in the Phoenix Centre from my gaff, and passed it or shopped in it, both ways.

I have no idea how long that the situation will last for as not only was I a bit knackered with a gurt big hill left to climb back up on the way home, l obviously don't have a car or other motor vehicle, so have no need for the fuels at the filling station, so didn't bother to ask.

The BP filling station near to that previously referred to roundabout in Paisley is still out of fuel. I know this because I walked to and from the ASDA shop in the Phoenix Centre from my gaff, and passed it or shopped in it, both ways.

I have no idea how long that the situation will last for as not only was I a bit knackered with a gurt big hill left to climb back up on the way home, l obviously don't have a car or other motor vehicle, so have no need for the fuels at the filling station, so didn't bother to ask.
There are a lot of hills in that neck of the woods - subtle but long.............but at least there is a Greggs for on route refreshment. I lived on the other side of the water for a long time - actually miss the place. ETA, Dalmuir (the other side of the river.:cool:

There are a lot of hills in that neck of the woods - subtle but long.............but at least there is a Greggs for on route refreshment. I lived on the other side of the water for a long time - actually miss the place. ETA, Dalmuir (the other side of the river.:cool:

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that have some connection with what is essentially a village. You probably know half my family.

Well there's a relief.

It was the government all along and nothing to do with media and that McKenzie prick.

And nothing to do with mongs trickle feeding jerrycans, and buying a month's worth of petrol for their school-run 4x4s?
Expect stories tomorrow of petrol stations empty. Of customers. Cos everyone spunked away time and money in a queue to fill up, and now nobody needs petrol.

Not quietly. Twas on at least three news reports over this afternoon (Absolute Radio). I seem to think that it was announced as imminent on Aunty Beeb Idiot Box this morning as well, but may have been mistaken on that.
What I meant was it got buried under the petrol stuff and the Labour comedy show in the news outlets and most people didn't even notice it ., not being train buffs
Hopefully , they will now bring back Maunsell 2-6-0's throughout the Southern network !

TamH70

MIA
What I meant was it got buried under the petrol stuff and the Labour comedy show in the news outlets and most people didn't even notice it ., not being train buffs
Hopefully , they will now bring back Maunsell 2-6-0's throughout the Southern network !

Nah.

Give this young 'un a shot at the title:

. . . Hopefully , they will now bring back Maunsell 2-6-0's throughout the Southern network !
When I saw the TV reports, I did think - last night - why the operator did not use Southern's (Apple?) Green livery, even if it is a little "ordinary" . . . but maybe you have to be 70+ years old, to appreciate the significance ?!

HS1 lines will be overhead gantry, but the rest of the "region" down there, is that overhead, or "third rail" ?!

"Third rail" would allow a regular use of preserved-rail locos "by invitation".

Might generate some interest, enthusiasm, although I appreciate most customers, probably JUST want a reliable, efficient, service ;)

Well there's a relief.

It was the government all along and nothing to do with media and that McKenzie prick.

Enter stage left Angela Rayner calling the gov “Scum”.

Our local fuel station had been closed since Sunday. Today it was open again. Massive long queues of non-working (to be honest, most looked like retirees) and white van man (can’t blame them) waiting for fuel.
I expect the pumps to be closed by the end of the day…

Enter stage left Angela Rayner calling the gov “Scum”.

Our local fuel station had been closed since Sunday. Today it was open again. Massive long queues of non-working (to be honest, most looked like retirees) and white van man (can’t blame them) waiting for fuel.
I expect the pumps to be closed by the end of the day…
Which brand/franchise/company ?

I think that once the panic merchants have got it out of their systems things will start to return to normal. Those that aren't using their vehicles will still have plenty of fuel in their tanks. It's not as if it's bog roll and pasta where they can just keep on buying and buying the stuff. You can only get so much in the fuel tank (excluding the few idiots with jerry cans) and if you don't use much of it you can't put much back in.

I know I'm supposed to be one of the smug gits laughing at everyone else because I've got an electric car but I've noticed in the last 2-3 weeks a substantial rise in electric car owners in my area all trying to use the same 2 public network 40kW rapid chargers and its becoming increasingly difficult to find them free unless you go late on at night or mid morning or afternoon when most people are at work - as someone who lives in an upper floor flat and cant charge at home I depend upon the public chargers so I'm not smug at the minute because the future for electric car drivers isn't any better unless there is a huge increase in public rapid chargers - yes, there are quite a few of the 'fast' 7-22kW StreetSide chargers but for those I always find their output is at the 7kW and you need to park up for quite a few hours if you want a decent charge from empty rather than a small top up.

I think that once the panic merchants have got it out of their systems things will start to return to normal. Those that aren't using their vehicles will still have plenty of fuel in their tanks. It's not as if it's bog roll and pasta where they can just keep on buying and buying the stuff. You can only get so much in the fuel tank (excluding the few idiots with jerry cans) and if you don't use much of it you can't put much back in.

the ones doing that in the papers I've read seem to be those who may have emigrated in from other countries - obviously that is hugely subjective of me and based only on images and my assumptions but thee is obviously a certain amount of jackness going on that the great British public is normally less susceptible to than others - similar to those crazy black friday sales and the people who you normally see fighting over a bargain

No queues here this morning. Had the whole place to myself in fact.
B284DD39-96FE-4B1C-976E-F86AE56E2E3B.jpeg

We've stayed parked up with barely more than fumes in the tank until a call from a neighbour this am to let us know the local garage has fuel.

Went down there expecting to queue, but was pleasantly surprised to see the place empty of customers, with no restrictions on amount of fuel drawn.

We've stayed parked up with barely more than fumes in the tank until a call from a neighbour this am to let us know the local garage has fuel.

Went down there expecting to queue, but was pleasantly surprised to see the place empty of customers, with no restrictions on amount of fuel drawn.
did yo fill up your jerrycans as well?

Latest Threads