Panic buying / stocking up

Right. Now I want you all to get on your diverse social media accounts and mention that you've ordered two jerricans of fuel from Amazon, delivery before 10am tomorrow.

IIRC,part of the CO2 cock up last year was that the 2 biggest producers both closed down for repairs at the same time, HMG in a rare outbreak of common dog has requested they share a year planner.
Must have been unplanned maintenance, usually when companies like that have planned shutdowns, they are opposite to each other and 'swap' deals are done to feed each others customers, in order to reduce the hit to margins...at least thats what happened with the steam/oil cracker unit I worked on, it was common throughout the gas/oil industry...

After getting back from Kris's funeral I did a quick shop for a few bits 'n' bobs and thought about filling the car up again. As time was getting on I thought "nah, Friday or Saturday will do, there's no hurry". Friday comes and all the panic buying has started. I've got quarter of a tank left and I'm not going anywhere soon so I'm not fussed. I nipped to the supermarket this afternoon and the the queue for the petrol station was blocking the entrance to the supermarket car park. Fecking retards, the lot of them.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
By a shear stroke of luck, first petrol station we passed today was on opposite side of road was shut but the one on our side was open with no queue.
Filled up, as had to drive from Grantham to Ely and then on to Oxford.

However every petrol station we passed after that was either shut or long, long queues, often back onto roundabouts and slip roads completely blocking traffic that were not wanting fuel.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
SWMBO went into our local town yesterday which was totally snarled up with people queueing for fuel.

We have 3 petrol stations, Asda, Tesco and Sainsburys plus another one about 3 miles out of town and a 5th one on the main road just outside town which was completely out of fuel.

Truxx

LE
Nicked off Facebook..

I know we all know this (Grandmother Suck and Eggs) but worth reiterating

Petrol tanker drivers have an (PDP) ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tanker lorries.
There is a shortage of HGV drivers. That's a true fact.
However HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol Tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
The petrol panic we are now experiencing is all down too media hype.
It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV driver's, left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.

So what's changed? Nothing !!

Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.

The Result of the media scaremongering!!

Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today. Disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.

Bloody Media!! Bloody sheep, bloody selfish mentality.

Nicked off Facebook..

Petrol tanker drivers have an (PDP) ADR qualification as well as a HGV licence. They need this for them to drive petrol tanker lorries.
However HGV drivers cannot drive a petrol Tanker lorry without having an ADR qualification.
The UK had ADR drivers last week. NOTHING repeat NOTHING changed much in a week. Maybe some holiday or some sickness but not, I doubt a dramatic change.
The ADR drivers that were driving last week are still driving this week delivering fuel. So nothing has changed.
It's not because of brexit because all the EU drivers went back to Europe. Which is some of the reasons being banded about.
These EU HGV driver's, left months ago, and yet the country was still getting fuel without problems up until today.

Apart from the disgraceful media hype and scaremongering to make news. Too sensationalise the fact that a couple of petrol stations were getting a late delivery so they closed.

Massive panic and chaos by everyone. Which is now causing a shortage of fuel until the ADR drivers, that we already had delivering fuel a few days ago, can deliver again.
The media should be fined and penalised, severely for publicising false news and creating the crazy situation that has been going on all today. Disgusting. They should hold their heads in shame.

It was the petrol station companies which announced the supply chain issues, so a strange post.

Not to mention any number of reasons why there are tanker driver shortages. Perhaps they felt it would be less stressful and worth their while to go and work at Tesco now the terms and conditions have improved.

Nicked off Facebook..

It was the Government "No need to panic buy" and the monkey see monkey do approach. We're back to the bog roll and pasta shortage from last year...

sbrys-jpg.606123

Feckin moccasins with white laces,you need to buy some decent shoes not bloody wine. ;)

Truxx

LE
It was the Government "No need to panic buy" and the monkey see monkey do approach. We're back to the bog roll and pasta shortage from last year...
Perhaps they should be saying "FFS get topped up, you dont know where your next tankfull is coming from"

Perhaps they should be saying "FFS get topped up, you dont know where your next tankfull is coming from"
Perhaps, I'm more convinced of the monkey see monkey do approach. Here in Northern Ireland I haven't seen a queue into a filling station (in my area at least and I'm close to Belfast) and its not even making news on the BBC NI feed. They're more concerned with certain party's trying to electioneer which is much more entertaining in this part of the world. I wish we had a groan button, that maybe better.

Last edited:

Latest Threads