Panic buying / stocking up

My facebook pundits have kindly informed me of the looming shortage of Brussel Sprouts. Best advice is to stock up while you still can.

At last, some good news. 13 weeks to go I assume you have got them on a rolling boil ready for Yule?

242722763_10159403593489706_8983497415056980725_n.jpg
I'll have a twelve-pack of Old Speckled Hen then.

Old_Sparky_RE

Old-Salt
The queue here in "Trumpton" this afternoon was from Morrisons (after the towns only other Fuel station ran out (a Shell)) was just over 1.5km long, going off down the A53 ...... this 1.5km didn't include all the side roads in town being blocked up too!
All this from a town of less than 12500 people.

Wont be when there power goes off 4 days a week .
Well we will see. Of course we have a petrol car as well.

So I’ll not be hunting out my bicycle clips just yet.

Just got home.

Went out tonight at 17:30 and saw queues for fuel.
What made me larf is I saw a large queue but there was a tanker delivering! So no delivery issue - just mongs waiting.
And then….. tonight at 11pm onwards driving home - large queues for fuel still.
Was diverted off motorway for road works so small detour went past another two fuel stations.
Again - large queue at one and at the same time a tanker was there delivering fuel. After 11pm!

So twice tonight I’ve both deliveries and panic buying at same time in two different places.

******* mentalists out there!

I was saying the same earlier to the bloke using the next pump, as I was filling my Jerry cans up.

It’s a disgrace.
I agree. I had loads of cans ready to be filled for my motor launch.
Them V8 things are relatively frugal at about a nautical mile to the gallon.
Oh, well Alderney for lunch instead of Jersey.
The hope is the tiresome U.K. government get on with this and let the people fill their little cars for whatever sordid purposes they wish.

A lot of the chilled meat you can buy in supermarkets is packed in containers filled with CO2 to keep it fresh.

We always used N2 as it is inert and CO2 is an oxidiser.
In a similar vein, I don't know if it is still the same but we used CO2 for largers and a 70/30 mix for Guinness and cider.
As for refrigerants, our compressors in the fridges use CH4 (methane) which is cheap. But don't come running to me with another Grenfell MkII.

Early petrol cars were complex machines with lots of mechanical parts. All prone to failure, and all needing constant fettling. Much of which was beyond the ken of a bloke who until recently had a horse and buggy.
Steinbeck is good at explaining this. In ‘East of Eden’, Adam Trask buys a car. A former cavalryman, he makes it work through his kids and manservant shouting out the myriad revolutions to get it going, and to stop.
Within a few years, cars were pretty much as we know them today. Or cars we know today have been stuck in the past.
The genius of Ford and a few others was to bludgeon his way forward on the rest of the world.

“Two generations of Americans knew more about the Ford coil than the clitoris, about the planetary system of gears that the solar system of stars.”​

John Steinbeck

I wonder how many of the muppets currently barging their way to the fuel pumps are either blue rinsers or the school run types who probably have to drive a couple of miles a day at most.

I wonder how many of the muppets currently barging their way to the fuel pumps are either blue rinsers or the school run types who probably have to drive a couple of miles a day at most.
Probably the vast majority, one suspects.
The type of twat who parks in a disabled bay because 'I'm only going to be a minute', or blocks a pedestrina crossing outside a school, while offloading little Sophie and Thomas from their gargatuan SUV*.

* - "Yes, I drive it because it is so safe for the children."
Yes, but you can't drive very well, can you, you mong? Having learned on a Fiat Panda, And if you lose control - and you will, one day - your mega bus will really fcuk up the people in the sedan you bludgeon into.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
From what I saw yesterday, getting the works car filled (On quarter of a tank and working the weekend) about 50% of the rest were about 25% work vehicles and the remainder unknowns, but the twat next to me managed to squeeze a whole £9.75 into his.

From what I saw yesterday, getting the works car filled (On quarter of a tank and working the weekend) about 50% of the rest were about 25% work vehicles and the remainder unknowns, but the twat next to me managed to squeeze a whole £9.75 into his.
what's that? six WHOLE litres? he probably burned 2L while queueing.
cnut.