Panic buying / stocking up

syrup

LE
The Cynic in me can't help thinking the supermarkets are simply playing the Christmas game

Every year they waste hundreds of Thousands of pounds of stuff they can't sell fresh meat , veg etc.
They can't give it away as they are terrified of getting sued by people claiming they caught food poisoning from their products.

This year we have the perfect storm of shortage of lorry drivers and other workers.
The Supermarkets come out and say that there will be shortages

Note they only say shortages of best selling Christmas food stuff
Roll up Roll up panic buy your Turkey, Sprouts, Spuds, Quality Street, Mince Pies and Booze.
Get in now before her at number 27 beats you to it.

Not Roll up Roll up come and get all the other tat we sell in out shops.
We could have filled our artic's with essential food goods but rather than that we've filled them with garden products, CCD's, pen's and lots of other crappy stuff.

Can't get Coke zero for the designated driver what about an adult colouring book and some felt tip pens madam?

Same as fuel last year we couldn't give it away due to the Pandemic now prices are soaring
Tell you what lets shut a service station tor two
Not only will people travel for it, they'll pay an extra 10p per litre on top and fill some Jerry Can's.
Then more people will see that and fill their car up if it even gets near 3/4 of a tank.

Two things will happen

Black Friday will come round and we'll see people fighting over North Koreas finest Plasma T.V. which only cost £50 in June but because it's black Friday people will have a punch up to get it for £125.

The Supermarkets and Fuel Companies will somehow record record profits.

endure

GCM
Mandatory Equipment for blokes driving covertibles:

Gloves, Driving, Leather.

Cap, flat.

Moustache, spunk encrusted.
f88rs7tn7le41.jpg

Truxx

LE
BBC news now reporting some filling stations are closed due to the HGV driver shortage.
Cue panic buying of fuel with queues down the road.

If the media didn’t report it, no one would even know. They’d just think their local station was closed for other reasons.
and utterly desparate not to reveal the real reason, that is to say (yet again) because a decision was made to outsource deliveries and do it with cut price labour.

fun watching Faisal Islaam desparate to p ut it down to brexit without actually saying the word brexit.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
I’ve followed HGVs onto the pumps before & the amount is staggering.
My big tractor unit holds 2200 litres in two tanks, one either side

When i bought it I had to drive it up from Epsom. Got onto the M6 toll and the fuel light came on. Bugger. So I pulled into Norton Caǹes services and put 200 quids worth in the left hand tank, the handbook said the tanks were interconnected so it did not matter which tank it went into.

or so I thought.

On jumping back in the fuel light was still on as they had beeǹ disconnected so I was obliged to put another 200 quids worth in the other side.

endure

GCM
Flaunt the wealth! Looks like enough to make it a fortnight. But the news of your energy issue is starting to make it over here. I hope you have some thick sweaters for your winter!
A fortnight? My dear boy are you deranged? Once one cracks a bottle one is obliged to finish it off :eek:

I’ve followed HGVs onto the pumps before & the amount is staggering.
Op Corporate 1982.

40 X Foden 16 tonners LMLC at a lot of diesel each plus the odd jerry can.

M1 Services up north.

1 X ADAV voucher.

Not a happy Cashier.

And they would not let me have the freebee's. (Wine glasses I think).

Some Civi's have no sense of humour.

Op Corporate 1982.

40 X Foden 16 tonners LMLC at a lot of diesel each plus the odd jerry can.

M1 Services up north.

1 X ADAV voucher.

Not a happy Cashier.

And they would not let me have the freebee's. (Wine glasses I think).

Some Civi's have no sense of humour.
How many Green Shield Stamp books did you fill?

Truxx

LE
Dare I ask how many mile's that's good for?
1.66 miles per litre towing. That's Euro 6 for you, the exhaust may be marginally (but only marginally) cleaner than the exhaust that came out of it predecessor (Euro 3 technically, but in practice much better) but it uses much more fuel. The previous one could do 2 miles per litre without even trying.

Truxx

LE
How many Green Shield Stamp books did you fill?
Years ago the Army ran petrol Antar tank transporters. Those in UK were often issued fuel cards, and going off route to fill up and get quad green shield stamps was all the rage. On the downside this resulted in a number of filling station canopies getting trashed but on the upside every to tptr kid on the patch in Bulford rode a brand new pushbike.

Latest Threads