Panic buying / stocking up

Nitrogen flushing is common in lots of chilled, sealed perishables.

Some of the cheaper end of the market sandwiches can be 12 to 14 days old by the time you get them off the supermarket shelf.
Nitrogen works wonders.....
I worked In Morrison’s twenty years ago. Fish can be kept out on display for days. If you the cut it up and package it, the use by date goes up.
The machine for doing the packaging was at the back of the counter. No Nitrogen or CO2 was used in this process.
Wonderful devices, supermarkets.
Wonderful for keeping the owners rich.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Scarcity of bottled CO2 means no bloody soda water in the supermarkets. That means no burra-peg whisky-soda to aid restful sleep. My health will suffer.

It used to be so simple. Then financial intermediaries and energy traders got involved. You know the rest.

You are thinking of the immediate transaction costs. Yet, apart from the fact that we still get a chucnk of gas from the North Sea we also have contracts with the Qataris, and the ships plow up and down the lanes all year long.

Reading the "Don't panic but Christmas is cancelled!" stories in the Daily Mail left me even more confused than ever. So I would ask knowledgeable posters here, and in these sorts of fields ARRSE has many knowledgeable posters to explain the reasons for this "crisis", whether it even is a crisis and the possible solutions.

So far we have the transport problem, with a shortage of drivers, we have rising gas prices, we have the closure of the fertiliser plants, apparently related to it, and the worldwide semiconductor shortage, I believe there is also a worldwide shipping shortage as economies reopen, have I got that and am I missing anything?

So how much is this related to Covid/Brexit/Putin* (delete as appropriate, and be honest, if Brexit is a factor then let's discuss it) or other factors that are adding up to a perfect storm?

Can anyone clarify?

Reading the "Don't panic but Christmas is cancelled!" stories in the Daily Mail left me even more confused than ever. So I would ask knowledgeable posters here, and in these sorts of fields ARRSE has many knowledgeable posters to explain the reasons for this "crisis", whether it even is a crisis and the possible solutions.

So far we have the transport problem, with a shortage of drivers, we have rising gas prices, we have the closure of the fertiliser plants, apparently related to it, and the worldwide semiconductor shortage, I believe there is also a worldwide shipping shortage as economies reopen, have I got that and am I missing anything?

So how much is this related to Covid/Brexit/Putin* (delete as appropriate, and be honest, if Brexit is a factor then let's discuss it) or other factors that are adding up to a perfect storm?

Can anyone clarify?

I would like to clarify, but I can't

I play the distribution game for a living and I genuinely don't understand why worldwide supply issues are as big as they are

Unless of course the impact of coronavirus on production and distribution globally has been underplayed

I suspect the root cause may be that the impact in China is much greater than stated which has log jammed global shipping networks

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Can anyone clarify?
After pouring over all the available data and realising this is the Naafi I’d just like to add and confirm.

We are fucked.

Truxx

LE
I would like to clarify, but I can't

I play the distribution game for a living and I genuinely don't understand why worldwide supply issues are as big as they are

Unless of course the impact of coronavirus on production and distribution globally has been underplayed

I suspect the root cause may be that the impact in China is much greater than stated which has log jammed global shipping networks
Not sure my experience can add to any of that. What I do know is that the CO2 thing really started to be an issue this time last year. As for natural gas prices, I am less sure as to why they are on the way up so fast. (As an aside my welding gas, mostly CO2 with some Argon, has nearly doubled in price in the last 24 months. It is now getting to the point that it is nearly as expensive as pure argon, used for TIG welding)

The price of steel is up by about 40%, but there are strong indications that the price will drop before Christmas. One of the effects of imported steel being more expensive is that GB produced steel is now much more competitive, so there is a price war emerging. Global shipping has gone bonkers with tens of thousands of containers being in the wrong place (and I have heard tell of 20,000 containers in UK being out of circulation because they are sitting in container parks full of PPE. Unintended consequences and all that).

Shipping a container to/ from the US and Canada is about what it was 2 years ago, but the same box to and from the far East has gone up tenfold.

So I think that the theory about the virus effects out East generally being underplayed have some basis in truth.

The other stuff, empty supermarket shelves, fruit rotting on the trees etc is, I think, largely hype peddled by continuity remain.

Serious question re CO2...
a few years back, Safferland had a major problem and shortage, and they ended up air-freighting pallets of coke to Cape Town for the Chrimbo holidays.
What will the little ones in UK do, without their fizzy drinks?

Latest Threads