Panic buying / stocking up

endure

GCM
A lot of the chilled meat you can buy in supermarkets is packed in containers filled with CO2 to keep it fresh.

A lot of the chilled meat you can buy in supermarkets is packed in containers filled with CO2 to keep it fresh.

It's worse than that I'm afraid.

Lots of supermarkets use portable chillers to distribute chilled food in conventional trailers.
Those chillers run on CO2. hence you are already seeing some chilled products missing from the shelves

Word has it (and this is pukka) that the UK will run out of bread flour in 3 weeks time.
I believe that it is a europe wide problem.

Will be followed shortly after by a shortage of Durum wheat (used to make pasta)

Lots of supermarkets use portable chillers to distribute chilled food in conventional trailers.
Those chillers run on CO2. hence you are already seeing some chilled products missing from the shelves
Unless they are chucking huge blocks of dry ice into a van I can't see why carbon dioxide would be a better refrigerant than the compounds used in normal fridges and freezers. Am I missing something?

I thought that was nitrogen ?
Both nitrogen and carbon dioxide prevent food spoilage by excluding oxygen. I'm pretty sure carbon dioxide is used in meat packaging as it helps keep the meat looking red longer rather than the brown/grey colour that would normally happen.

Edit - google suggests it's carbon monoxide used in keeping meat bright pink. Whoops.

Word has it (and this is pukka) that the UK will run out of bread flour in 3 weeks time.

Will be followed shortly after by a shortage of Durum wheat (used to make pasta)
So you can just drink more beer for your carbs, eat more jerky, and throw in some beans. Problem solved, happiness for everybody!

Unless they are chucking huge blocks of dry ice into a van I can't see why carbon dioxide would be a better refrigerant than the compounds used in normal fridges and freezers. Am I missing something?

I'll try and find a picture of one (I can't remember what they are called which may hinder me a little)
Essentially they are a cage sized insulated box that uses CO2 to cool them.
They are simply wheeled on to a normal trailer with ambient goods.

Thye use CO2 to cool them. No CO2, no cold boxes.

One of our customers (a reasonable size national retailer) has ceased chilled food movements on their own vehicles as of yesterday and don't know when they will be able to resume.

If I can find a picture of one of these unit I'll add it to the thread

I'll try and find a picture of one (I can't remember what they are called which may hinder me a little)
Essentially they are a cage sized insulated box that uses CO2 to cool them.
They are simply wheeled on to a normal trailer with ambient goods.

Thye use CO2 to cool them. No CO2, no cold boxes.

One of our customers (a reasonable size national retailer) has ceased chilled food movements on their own vehicles as of yesterday and don't know when they will be able to resume.

If I can find a picture of one of these unit I'll add it to the thread
Cheers, I was imagining a fridge unit the size of a van that chilled everything inside. Putting a bucket of dry ice into an insulated cage makes a lot more sense.

You could dispatch small animals with a .22LR but even that is in short supply .
I have some doubts about that. Say 10p per round for the cheapest stuff would only be one consideration. There's legislation around lead and no doubt angst about chemicals in the propellants. Heads would no longer be usable for burgers, rendering for fertiliser etc. The anti-meat types may be happy until their vegan ready meals are in short supply due to chilling issues @jagman2 mentioned.

Last edited:

The only reason you’d run out of bread flour is because they don’t wish to pay the higher price of wheat to mill. There isn’t a shortage on the world’s market, the price has just risen and this year’s harvest is down keeping the cost higher per bushel.

The only reason you’d run out of bread flour is because they don’t wish to pay the higher price of wheat to mill. There isn’t a shortage on the world’s market, the price has just risen and this year’s harvest is down keeping the cost higher per bushel.

Or you are struggling to get the wheat to the mill and the flour out of the mill to the end user.

I know of major national bakers that have expressed the concern (in the last week) that they think they will be unable to produce within the month.

Latest Threads