Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panic buying / stocking up

Thinking about bogroll and it's stus up there with their food staples.
How come the b@stard MoD never thought of the significance of arse wipe when they were designing ratpacks?
ISTR we only were given a few sheets with every 24hr ration pack!!!

Perhaps they knew that it would be used as currency when the balloon went up.

Should add to my list of "Panic" Stock

The equivelant of about 20 large tins of Tomatoes
18 Jars of Pasta Sauce / Tomatoes and peppers
18 Jars of Courgette Soup

All of which is from this summers garden produce and will last (hopefully) until next summer

SWMBO has just done our first supermarket delivery order, just in case we are locked down.

The last shop I did (last week) I was only allowed 3 bags of rice and pasta. The only rice that they had (other than the microwave stuff) was small packets but I was told that I was limited to maximum 3 of rice -- a bummer because I had 2 small packs of basmati rice and 2 packs of Uncle Bens microwave stuff (SWMBO prefers proper rice but themicrowave stuff is handy if you're in a hurry). I had to forgo one of the microwave packs.

I was told that this was the same for pasta, I had a couple of packs of pasta as the kids went off to university with most of our pasta supply.

As there is only two of us at home now, we have sufficient for our immediate needs, but will need to stock up for when the kids come home at Christmas.

One thing does puzzle me, the rush for toilet rolls, is there a special recipe that enables them to be made into a tasty and nutritious meal?

There are a number of so called 'tasty and nutritious' ready meals that are instantly turn to SH!T when consumed so perhaps there is a relationship.

Remember folk, Eat fresh food it's better for you and easier on the wallet, especially if you are raiding the neighbours allotments for free veg. (Put your E&E course skills to good use).

Forget about field to frozen in 30 mins. allotment to pan in 10 minutes sounds better.

RBMK

War Hero
We already have a veg plot plus fruit trees.

Good crop of apples and blackberries this year too. We've eaten all the home grown sweetcorn and a good number of courgettes. There are still plenty of tomatoes left, some of which will go into chutney and some green beans and peas left although only only a few of these now.

This is going to put a crimp on all the shoppers who choose brands that only confirm stereotypes of colonial historic systematic racial injustice within the black community .

How am I going to survey my larder and gloat over my white supremacy now ?

RBMK

War Hero
I try to avoid the place for just that reason.

I find the ever-present whiff of smug entitlement diminishes the quality of my shopping experience.​
One prefers not to mix with commoners.....

Seriously, of the supermarkets...

Asda - generally crap with short dated fruit and meat, cheap if you want baked beans or spaghetti hoops. Avoid.
Tesco - as for Asda but with a crap bread selection
Sainsburys - OK but meat and fish selection not great
Morrisons - Better than Sainsbury or Asda, good for fish and fresh fruit / veg & bread.
Waitrose - Fruit & veg generally lasts better than the others, good meat selection. Expensive for basics
Lidl - Good for fresh stuff and bakery and cheap but mong central round here
Aldi - as for Lidl but with worse service.
Local Co-Op - Good for fresh bread etc and the odd meal.

We tend to rotate between Morrisions, Waitrose and Tesco, mainly because these are the most convenient.

Did one trip to Asda and ended up going to Waitrose to get some decent fruit and veg. Generally not a good experience. 2 Tescos in reach, neither are great and have to check best before / use-by dates on everything as a lot of stuff is very short dated.

Waitrose sell Bury black pudding food for god's. Sadly my nearest is seven hours away.
Incidentally I have noticed that the cheaper bog roll go first. Proper posh people like wot i's am go for three or four ply to prevent push through. Go round Asda and count the brown fingers.

Waitrose sell Bury black pudding food for god's. Sadly my nearest is seven hours away.
Incidentally I have noticed that the cheaper bog roll go first. Proper posh people like wot i's am go for three or four ply to prevent push through. Go round Asda and count the brown fingers.

Somewhere I have a mug with that on and another with the 'tyre nails' advert.

One prefers not to mix with commoners.....
Commoners I can handle.

Chavs and snobs, on the other hand - same kinda stoopid - chav fashion is a display of poverty and ignorance, snobs - same degree of ignorance, more expensive clobber.

Asda - generally crap with short dated fruit and meat, cheap if you want baked beans or spaghetti hoops. Avoid.
On the other hand, based on the Milkandbeans superstore, best of the lot for a selection of authentic ethnic foodstuffs
Lidl - Good for fresh stuff and bakery and cheap but mong central round here
Aldi - as for Lidl but with worse service.
Clearly a local phenomenon, but Lidl's fruit and veg (followed closely by Aldi) will invariably stay fresh longer than anything from Tesco/Asda, simply because they don't ship it to a central depot, then re-distribute it, nor do they have the same built-in storage space as the big 'uns in which to let it degrade (trust me, my #2 son worked at Tesco). It's sourced and packed quite locally to point of sale, it comes in fresh, it goes on the shelves almost immediately and it gets sold pretty much same day.

As to service: I get as much help as I need from the shop floor guys/gals at my local Lidl and Aldi. they just happen to be hauling stuff around the store as they give it. Only the Waitrose staff come close, but that's maybe because I know most of the 'oldies' from when the same premises was operated by Budgens,

Latest Threads