Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panic buying / stocking up

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
earlier in the year, I had a squizz at the labels on stuff; flapping about B**x*t, I bought HP sauce (now Nederlandse) and balsamic vinegar, olive oil, some olives, jarred peppers, antipasto stuff.
Frankly, I'm asking myself if paying 50p more for something is worth it, compared to tripping over the fcking stuff (not literally).
There is a bit of a stack of old newspapers if the sh1tticket situation becomes unbearable. I suspect the time to remove staples/beetles is now, rather than the apoo-calypse.
If all else fails, I have a showerhead on a hose....

Teeblerone

Old-Salt
I reckon oven gloves and 6' bits of string will be the next hot-ticket. Prevents you from touching your face, nice & warm, social distancing fisticuffs etc. And if you do the zip up all the way on your tesco knock-off snorkel parka, no sneaky viral load from the side.

There was a video on the idiot box of one of the factories in UK that make them. They were very clear (and showed warehouse stock) that they had enough giant rolls to make literally 100+ million rolls. They were doing overtime to get them out of the factory. Made pretty much every different type in the one factory.

BBC Inside The Factory C-19 Update series

Only one I found on Youtube

Every tin of baked beans includes a free sheet of loo paper :p

ugly

LE
I will add Duck confit to that list.
About a year ago i was in Waitrose and put a tin of Cassoulette and a seperate tin of Duck Confit into the trolley.
Slightly surprised at the twenty quid cost.
Still in the cupboard awaiting the Zombie apocalypse.
Big tins though.
Last time I came back from France I filled the car with biggish tins of cassoulet etc for filling food flasks for this year’s shooting season!
I won’t be using them for a while but I am looking forward to it

RBMK

War Hero
SWMBO has just done our first supermarket delivery order, just in case we are locked down.

The last shop I did (last week) I was only allowed 3 bags of rice and pasta. The only rice that they had (other than the microwave stuff) was small packets but I was told that I was limited to maximum 3 of rice -- a bummer because I had 2 small packs of basmati rice and 2 packs of Uncle Bens microwave stuff (SWMBO prefers proper rice but themicrowave stuff is handy if you're in a hurry). I had to forgo one of the microwave packs.

I was told that this was the same for pasta, I had a couple of packs of pasta as the kids went off to university with most of our pasta supply.

As there is only two of us at home now, we have sufficient for our immediate needs, but will need to stock up for when the kids come home at Christmas.

One thing does puzzle me, the rush for toilet rolls, is there a special recipe that enables them to be made into a tasty and nutritious meal?

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
SWMBO has just done our first supermarket delivery order, just in case we are locked down.

The last shop I did (last week) I was only allowed 3 bags of rice and pasta. The only rice that they had (other than the microwave stuff) was small packets but I was told that I was limited to maximum 3 of rice -- a bummer because I had 2 small packs of basmati rice and 2 packs of Uncle Bens microwave stuff (SWMBO prefers proper rice but themicrowave stuff is handy if you're in a hurry). I had to forgo one of the microwave packs.

I was told that this was the same for pasta, I had a couple of packs of pasta as the kids went off to university with most of our pasta supply.

As there is only two of us at home now, we have sufficient for our immediate needs, but will need to stock up for when the kids come home at Christmas.

One thing does puzzle me, the rush for toilet rolls, is there a special recipe that enables them to be made into a tasty and nutritious meal?
I always buy Tilda microwave rice, it's far better than Uncle Ben's.

Where do you live to put it into context?
I shop in the North West in and around Manchester and in the South lakes. There are pallet loads of bog rolls, pasta and big bags of rice in every supermarket I've been in over the last two weeks, obviously catering for the loons that are buying in excess.

RBMK

War Hero
Where do you live to put it into context?
I shop in the North West in and around Manchester and in the South lakes. There are pallet loads of bog rolls, pasta and big bags of rice in every supermarket I've been in over the last two weeks, obviously catering for the loons that are buying in excess.
Chester area
And we're not locked down yet.
Hasn't stopped the loons clearing the shelves of comfy bum at our local Waitrose :rolleyes:

I always buy Tilda microwave rice, it's far better than Uncle Ben's.

Ben's Original. Get with the programme.
And no picture of a friendly, white haired black man on them anymore.
(Funnily enough, at our local supermarket the Uncle Ben's stuff is stocked in the international section under England).

My old man had a liking for Goblin Ready Meals (typically beef bits with veg) and also tinned babies' heads. This would have been 1970s / early 80s. IIRC it was beef gristly bits plus carrots, peas and potatoes and maybe some other stuff in a tin. Heat and eat, usually with a couple of slices of Sunblest white bread with thickly spread Anchor butter.
Goblin factory in Stretford was knocked down last year now housing

Chester area
And we're not locked down yet.
Hasn't stopped the loons clearing the shelves of comfy bum at our local Waitrose :rolleyes:
That may have more to do with Waitrose logistics and their customers being shite.
I was in the Sainsburys in Kendal this morning and they had bog roll stacked to the ceiling and onbig pallets all over the store.
Remind me again, how long can you freeze bog roll for now?

Latest Threads