Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panic buying / stocking up

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I saw piles of pasta on offer in Tesco some weeks ago. Dirt cheap. I think it was from Turkey or somewhere like that.

You can see exactly what has happened there. After the last run on pasta, Tesco have stocked up using some dodgy Turkish supplier, the panic has eased off and they've been left with several warehouses full of the stuff.
Ah, but is it like their PPE and not fit for purpose?

Will Tesco now be accused of being reckless with NHS angels' lives because of stocking this stuff? Will it now be forced to dance to the beat of the media durum? Or will the media be left straining to make a non-story out of this? Will they try to wriggle out by blaming the usual unsubstantiated sauces?

Sorry but this kind of stuff is red ragu to a bull, as far as I'm concerned. It all makes me a bit gnocchi. Admittedly, I do have a short fusilli but even so it may be time to put penne to paper and complain to someone.

I'll get me mantello...

SWMBO nailed it earlier:

"It's because stupid people think, 'Bugger... they ran out last time. We better get down there quick before they run out again.' They forget that we wouldn't have run out if people had just carried on shopping normally."

Ive picked up a few extra bits - tinned meals wise - less panic buying more in case ware quarentined and as per advice - but even there instead of grabbing 10 tins wheras we usually use 1 a month (cant be asked to cook night) i picked up 2 each week.

Also an extra bag of pasta - as in 1 singular - meals for a week if quarentined.

Theres sensible planning and theres crass stupidity - 500 loo rolls and 50 bags of pasta is well into the 2nd camp

Edit should add here - the intent was 7 tins of ready meals so if very ill could eat for a week without effort*

*With th wife being a nurse and the origional hype this was i feel reasonable - it morphed into 12 tins because I put them in a differrent cover and being a senile old duffer forgot so collecte the last 2 tins for 3 weeks

Last edited:
What do they consider a premium lager?
There's a Peroni Gran Riserva which is a bit maltier although the normal Peroni is the best selling lager in Italy.
Birra Moretti seemed to be in every bar around the Lake Garda area. I did try a "Spaghetti Western" malt beer in one bar. Tasted chocolatey and then I noticed the alcohol content was 8.7%. Not keen.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
There's a Peroni Gran Riserva which is a bit maltier although the normal Peroni is the best selling lager in Italy.
Birra Moretti seemed to be in every bar around the Lake Garda area. I did try a "Spaghetti Western" malt beer in one bar. Tasted chocolatey and then I noticed the alcohol content was 8.7%. Not keen.
There's a Sicilian Moretti which is quite citrusy. About 6.6%. Worth a try but it's a short night out...

The Gran Riserva plus two others of that ilk is whats in the deal.

Tyk

LE
Definite outbreak of utter morons in the supermarkets here, the bog roll isles look like they've had a plague of locusts with very weird taste going through. As bloody stupid as the last time.

Mine was in Weingarten. The Long Range Recce course.

Just checked back. It was the International Long Range Recce Patrol course in Weingarten in Baden-Wuerttemberg. A two week course.
Nice course. I used to go there in the late 70's and before that when the school was at Neuhausen ob Eck.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Nice course. I used to go there in the late 70's and before that when the school was at Neuhausen ob Eck.

I really enjoyed it and still have my parachute silk home-made map somewhere (50 miles on an A5 piece). Paired up with a Belgian Cpl who didn't speak English. It was my summer holiday away from Brixmis and Berlin in 1986. My wife was not impressed.

Ive picked up a few extra bits - tinned meals wise - less panic buying more in case ware quarentined and as per advice - but even there instead of grabbing 10 tins wheras we usually use 1 a month (cant be asked to cook night) i picked up 2 each week.

Also an extra bag of pasta - as in 1 singular - meals for a week if quarantined.

Theres sensible planning and theres crass stupidity - 500 loo rolls and 50 bags of pasta is well into the 2nd camp

Edit should add here - the intent was 7 tins of ready meals so if very ill could eat for a week without effort*

*With the wife being a nurse and the original hype this was i feel reasonable - it morphed into 12 tins because I put them in a different cover and being a senile old duffer forgot so collected the last 2 tins for 3 weeks

Just out of interest, what kind of ready meal do you get in a tin and is it edible?

I'm also surprised that a single bag of pasta will feed you for a week, what is it, a 5Kg sack?

I saw piles of pasta on offer in Tesco some weeks ago. Dirt cheap. I think it was from Turkey or somewhere like that.

You can see exactly what has happened there. After the last run on pasta, Tesco have stocked up using some dodgy Turkish supplier, the panic has eased off and they've been left with several warehouses full of the stuff.
That is truer than you think.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Just out of interest, what kind of ready meal do you get in a tin and is it edible?

I'm also surprised that a single bag of pasta will feed you for a week, what is it, a 5Kg sack?

Ravioli ,
Cassoulette
Sour kraut
Pork and lentils

Of course edible - eatable and sustainong arent the same as enjoyable

Ravioli ,
Cassoulette
Sour kraut
Pork and lentils

Of course edible - eatable and sustainong arent the same as enjoyable
I will add Duck confit to that list.
About a year ago i was in Waitrose and put a tin of Cassoulette and a seperate tin of Duck Confit into the trolley.
Slightly surprised at the twenty quid cost.
Still in the cupboard awaiting the Zombie apocalypse.
Big tins though.

5kg dry pasta alone is around 20,000 calories, so a single bag (0ne kg) is more than enough if supplemented.

Plenty of edible canned ready meals available if you willing to spend on the good stuff. French and German companies have great ranges.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer

My old man had a liking for Goblin Ready Meals (typically beef bits with veg) and also tinned babies' heads. This would have been 1970s / early 80s. IIRC it was beef gristly bits plus carrots, peas and potatoes and maybe some other stuff in a tin. Heat and eat, usually with a couple of slices of Sunblest white bread with thickly spread Anchor butter.

Latest Threads