Panic buying / stocking up

Very much like the micron thin layer of chocolate 'product' that goes on Wagon Wheels (Waggon Castors?). Strange stuff with a faint, whitish, powdery bloom on the surface. As you say, very similar to doggy drops or those awful chocolate drops you used to get in Woolies pick 'n' mix, which were probably supplied by the same people. Even as a kid, I never saw the appeal of Wagon Wheels. They always tasted stale to me.

The chocolate layer on Jacob's Club biscuits was always of a superior quality but as the years progressed, that also became transparently thin.
The mention of Woolies pick and mix has just given me horrendous flash backs. Essentially sugar, dyed in different colours and various shapes My teeth feel like they've been carpeted just with the memory of it.

The mention of Woolies pick and mix has just given me horrendous flash backs. Essentially sugar, dyed in different colours and various shapes My teeth feel like they've been carpeted just with the memory of it.
If you still have your own teeth then you couldn't have been a regular customer. They weren't even worth the trouble of shoplifting.

I know what you mean. It's very much like the micron thin layer of chocolate 'product' that goes on Wagon Wheels (Waggon Castors?). Strange stuff with a faint, whitish, powdery bloom on the surface. As you say, very similar to doggy drops or those awful chocolate drops you used to get in Woolies pick 'n' mix, which were probably supplied by the same people. Even as a kid, I never saw the appeal of Wagon Wheels. They always tasted stale to me.

The chocolate layer on Jacob's Club biscuits was always of a superior quality but as the years progressed, that also became transparently thin.
I haven't tried Wagon Wheels for years, and certainly would't want to buy any now. The ones sold in the mid 50s, however, were good - and were a decent size! (and yes, I appreciate that things looked bigger when you were smaller!)

NSP

LE
If you still have your own teeth then you couldn't have been a regular customer. They weren't even worth the trouble of shoplifting.
I worked in Woolies at weekends in the late '80s. The pick n' mix then was a mix of popular foil-wrapped chocs and what we'd consider Haribo these days. Load up a bag with this and that and have it weighed at checkout.

We'd be forever finding excuses to "just do a tidy down the PnM aisle" so as to pillage the thing. What management called "shrinkage" wasn't so much the result of shoplifting as the staff supplementing their piss-poor piss-taking wages.

I hear from a mate in the Asda supply chain that there is evidence of a shortage of tinned goods on the horizon. It's not the food inside, it's the metal required to make the tins.

I hear from a mate in the Asda supply chain that there is evidence of a shortage of tinned goods on the horizon. It's not the food inside, it's the metal required to make the tins.
First thing I thought of? Whatabootery;) the huge additional warehouses built & allegedly stuffed to the gunwales with stockpiled foodstuffs (pre) the "B" word?

Oops

Old-Salt
Factory closed to protect the staff
Once the stocks gone it will be a while before production restarts
If they're not 'key' workers, the Country is well and truly f*cked!
Having said that, is there any chance of someone clever hacking their batching computer and resetting it to size the snowballs used to be around 1970?
It takes at least three before I feel sickly nowadays.

...Strange stuff with a faint, whitish, powdery bloom on the surface...
Usually fat that leaches out, particularly if it dries out or gets frozen or severely chilled.

Harmless unless the fat goes rancid.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm busy.
Oh go on, it's for a good cause. It's not like you need your legs for anything important at your age.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oh go on, it's for a good cause. It's not like you need your legs for anything important at your age.

I find my legs very important. They made me an Army and Combined Service marathon runner, despite the bits of bullet in them.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I find my legs very important. They made me an Army and Combined Service marathon runner, despite the bits of bullet in them.
There you go then, they need a rest after all that abuse, if they'd been your kids social services would have had them away decades ago being treated like that.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
There you go then, they need a rest after all that abuse, if they'd been your kids social services would have had them away decades ago being treated like that.

They are resting. Thanks for your exaggerated concern.

Have a nice day.

Yokel

LE
The Chinese have probably bought all supplies. We need to get recycling everything we can. Or perhaps it as simple as demand exceeding manufacturing capacity?

I have been unable to find corned beef in Tescos. There are still limits on the number of certain items that can be purchased by a single individual.

Apparently we are going to suffer a meat shortage in Trumpwelt. The meat processing plants were all advised to implement social distancing, but they ignored the advice and now fahsunds of employees have become somewhat poorly.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently we are going to suffer a meat shortage in Trumpwelt. The meat processing plants were all advised to implement social distancing, but they ignored the advice and now fahsunds of employees have become somewhat poorly.
as I hear it the people are taking things into their own hands and ignoring the governors. something about them not having the powers they think they do to stop people working.

I worked in Woolies at weekends in the late '80s. The pick n' mix then was a mix of popular foil-wrapped chocs and what we'd consider Haribo these days. Load up a bag with this and that and have it weighed at checkout.

We'd be forever finding excuses to "just do a tidy down the PnM aisle" so as to pillage the thing. What management called "shrinkage" wasn't so much the result of shoplifting as the staff supplementing their piss-poor piss-taking wages.
You've just disclosd you worked at 'Woolies'.

Put the beard away, You won't be needing it anymore on here.

Put your hands on top of your pate and lay down the beard.

Latest Threads