Panic buying / stocking up

They actually DO exist!!
Don't be misled by the photo.
The visitor to Japan will never find them for the following reason; (The quote beow doesn't apply to the photo above but that machine will certainly be included. *Gachapon is a different type of vending machine where the goods appear in a plastic ball but again, the same applies)
Quote;
Above the price (Yen500) are the words “スーパーUSED加工” (super used kakou). Kakou, in this case, means that the panties were manufactured to appear used – kind of like the Abercrombie jeans that are sold with holes and frayed edges straight from the factory. The addition of those two kanji characters makes it instantly apparent to a native speaker that the panties are not, in fact, used. Perhaps an enterprising *gachapon machine salesperson realized that they could trick non-Japanese into believing the urban legend by slapping a single English word on the sign
Unquote

A more balanced account appears here;
Panty vending machines

Don't be misled by the photo.
The visitor to Japan will never find them for the following reason; (The quote beow doesn't apply to the photo above but that machine will certainly be included. *Gachapon is a different type of vending machine where the goods appear in a plastic ball but again, the same applies)
Quote;
Above the price (Yen500) are the words “スーパーUSED加工” (super used kakou). Kakou, in this case, means that the panties were manufactured to appear used – kind of like the Abercrombie jeans that are sold with holes and frayed edges straight from the factory. The addition of those two kanji characters makes it instantly apparent to a native speaker that the panties are not, in fact, used. Perhaps an enterprising *gachapon machine salesperson realized that they could trick non-Japanese into believing the urban legend by slapping a single English word on the sign
Unquote

A more balanced account appears here;
Panty vending machines
Interesting!!

Yokel

LE
The were called Twists. Flour water make a dough roll out into about middle finger thickness wind round a green stick and roast over a fire.

Resulted in a crude form of bread. Made and eaten numerous times at scout camps.

It was obligatory to be in the Scouts for at least a year at prep, just as later it was obligatory to be in the CCF for two years at the next school. National service was abolished as I left school at 18, then joined RM at 19.

Guess there was some form of progression there, that resulted in some form of survivalist thought processes that now sees me fortunately with a fairly well stocked provision store, and not much panic buying necessary.
Yes Dad calls them Twists, but he has never never demonstrated them. He also talks of eating 'fried ice cream' in Hong Kong when his ship was in the Far East Fleet.

He also recalls eating snake in what was then Malaya - for some reason he volunteered to go ashore with the Army, and Gurkhas lived off the land.

He recommends a rifle and bayonet for dealing with crowds.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes Dad calls them Twists, but he has never never demonstrated them. He also talks of eating 'fried ice cream' in Hong Kong when his ship was in the Far East Fleet.

He also recalls eating snake in what was then Malaya - for some reason he volunteered to go ashore with the Army, and Gurkhas lived off the land.

He recommends a rifle and bayonet for dealing with crowds.
Fried ice cream is a thing, scoop balls of ice cream, return to freezer, hour later, remove, roll in egg white and then desiccated coconut, return to freezer, repeat 4 or 5 times, then get oil red hot, place in oil and keep the ball moving to get an even brown colour (should take seconds), remove and serve, the outside is crispy and the ice cream is till cold and frozen. I did this for a Sgt's Mess dinner night, bit of a faff, but it went down well, my boss thought I was off my head when I suggested it but loved the result.

Fried ice cream is a thing, scoop balls of ice cream, return to freezer, hour later, remove, roll in egg white and then desiccated coconut, return to freezer, repeat 4 or 5 times, then get oil red hot, place in oil and keep the ball moving to get an even brown colour (should take seconds), remove and serve, the outside is crispy and the ice cream is till cold and frozen. I did this for a Sgt's Mess dinner night, bit of a faff, but it went down well, my boss thought I was off my head when I suggested it but loved the result.
Ahh along the lines of baked Alaska then

Perhaps an enterprising *gachapon machine salesperson realized that they could trick non-Japanese into believing the urban legend by slapping a single English word on the sign
That's not actually beyond reason. The Japanese believe that the English language bestows some kind of magic or credibility on a product. Unfortunately, the English language used need not make any sort of sense at all. A selection of entirely random words will more than suffice. There are Japanese who will proudly wear a teeshirt emblazoned with a slogan such as 'Water Closet Jam Test' believing that they are simply the coolest thing on the planet.

There was an old and very popular series computer video games featuring a giant monkey (modesty forbids) and rather curiously titled 'Donkey Kong'. The name was simply a mistaken rendering of Monkey Kong. When the error was pointed out, it concerned the Japanese games marketing team not a single jot and they very happily went ahead with the nonsensically titled version.

Both ways have a common goal. Survival when the surrounding situation becomes abnormal/difficult.
Well I can't exactly say this pandemic feels like any sort of "difficult survival scenario".... If anything it is just lame.
The only difficult thing about this situation is not using the credit card...

On the other hand, there are bargains to be had in luxury shops were trade is very slow and high quality food is sold at cut prices before it goes bad...smoked salmon at the price of ham...

That's not actually beyond reason. The Japanese believe that the English language bestows some kind of magic or credibility on a product. Unfortunately, the English language used need not make any sort of sense at all. A selection of entirely random words will more than suffice. There are Japanese who will proudly wear a teeshirt emblazoned with a slogan such as 'Water Closet Jam Test' believing that they are simply the coolest thing on the planet.

There was an old and very popular series computer video games featuring a giant monkey (modesty forbids) and rather curiously titled 'Donkey Kong'. The name was simply a mistaken rendering of Monkey Kong. When the error was pointed out, it concerned the Japanese games marketing team not a single jot and they very happily went ahead with the nonsensically titled version.
Always check Snopes before making claims

Similarly, I wonder how many people have Chinese/oriental script tattoos, believing it reads as something profound, but instead looks like a takeaway menu.

Similarly, I wonder how many people have Chinese/oriental script tattoos, believing it reads as something profound, but instead looks like a takeaway menu.
In many instances, it IS a takeaway menu.
Or 'Stupid white prick'.

You are off your head and it’s nothing to do with deep fried ice cream :-D

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nipper is essential. Zero Alpha and I are theoretically at risk. He goes out with a list and because he dispenses prescriptions for the Sainsbury staff next door, he waves his essential letter and pass and jumps the queue of several hundred metres.

When he's finished, he gives me three rings (actually "Three rings" by WhatsApp) and in a Pavlovian response, I jump in the car and do my essential shopping by collecting the bags from an agreed RV.

Today he tells me the queue is notable by its absence.

Do you know the Urban Dictionary off by heart?
To be fair, you can type most phrases into urban dictionary and it will come up with at least one (invented) sex act, usually involving human faeces.

For example, I just typed in Barry Chuckle and lo and behold, it's apparently a sex act involving human faeces.

Latest Threads