Panic buying / stocking up

My father has always insisted that when he was a boy scout he was taught how to make bread over a fire with flour and water, and a stick. He has never demonstrated this.
It's quite easy making bread with the bare minimum

Last edited:
My father has always insisted that when he was a boy scout he was taught how to make bread over a fire with flour and water, and a stick. He has never demonstrated this.
The were called Twists. Flour water make a dough roll out into about middle finger thickness wind round a green stick and roast over a fire.

Resulted in a crude form of bread. Made and eaten numerous times at scout camps.

It was obligatory to be in the Scouts for at least a year at prep, just as later it was obligatory to be in the CCF for two years at the next school. National service was abolished as I left school at 18, then joined RM at 19.

Guess there was some form of progression there, that resulted in some form of survivalist thought processes that now sees me fortunately with a fairly well stocked provision store, and not much panic buying necessary.

Last edited:
The were called Twists. Flour water make a dough roll out into about middle finger thickness wind round a green stick and roast over a fire.

Resulted in a crude form of bread. Made and eaten numerous times at scout camps.

It was obligatory to be in the Scouts for at least a year at prep, just as later it was obligatory to be in the CCF for two years at the next school. National service was abolished as I left school at 18, then joined RM at 19.

Guess there was some form of progression there, that resulted in some form of survivalist thought processes that now sees me fortunately with a fairly well stocked provision store, and not much panic buying necessary.
Survivalist focus mostly on skills, and being able to make it with minimal anything. Preppers have the well stocked larders. Both ways of thinking, have pros and cons.

Anyone reporting bacon shortages or surpluses in supermarkets?

They are wanting Americans to buy bacon as no-one been buying it past few weeks, the price is as low as it was 30 years ago

ISTR last year having a conversation in a brew spot when they told me that the price of their bacon had shot up due to a worldwide shortage.
This was caused by an overly populated country purchasing all they could get their hands on due to a major epidemic resulting in them killing all their pigs to prevent a pandemic.
So with increased production last year and reduced exports now I can well believe it.
Now if only I could recall which country it could be that'd have a huge virus outbreak which would go on to cause issues for everyone else??

Went to our local Sainsburys this morning, there was a queue to get in that snaked around the car park (ideal really as the parking spaces are virtually 2 metres apart). I was watching the entrance and exit to the store, doors at either end of the store. What stunned me though was there was a little security dude counting people in at one door, but no one counting them out at the other, result being crowds around the shop and hard not to be close to someone. I mentioned to a manager that it might be an idea for the 2 sets of doors to be in contact so that they can initiate a 1 in, 1 out procedure as it would make shopping safer, his words "I'll look into it", I f'kin give up sometimes!
Same thing with local grocer, albeit weighted the other way. Door mong allows in five at a time and waits for all five to exit, leaving an empty shop before allowing in the next five. Anyone taking their time finding something, buggering about and generally wandering around in a clueless daze delays the next five while the door mong goes into his door guardian fugue sat on an old crate with eyes glazed over while excavating a nostril.

Why can't we just cull the stupid?

Because God/Mother Nature must love them, why else is there is so many of them.
Prey always outnumbers predators. It is the way of things, Grasshopper.

As for entertainment, I find clever comedy less stressful than trying to deal with mongs whose sole purpose appears to be to complicate every fucking tiny little thing I try to achieve. The only up side is imagining their screams as I flay them.

Last edited:
Prey always outnumbers predators. It is the way of things, Grasshopper.
Agreed, but the prey you're talking about is protected by law so culling is out.

Darwin is a wily old fucker. This is where it becomes entertainment, baiting the trap then sitting back with a beer and a bowl of peanuts.

XPara Mugg

War Hero
Lidl have cancelled their next Iberian Week promotion.

They say it's to prevent Hispanic buying.

My face mask and gown, why thank you.

Is that my ambulance?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Lidl have cancelled their next Iberian Week promotion.

They say it's to prevent Hispanic buying.

My face mask and gown, why thank you.

Is that my ambulance?
Just a Lidl joke, meeester.