Panic buying / stocking up

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Yes, but don't the Japanese eat raw fish.
There are lots of foods that can eaten raw, it's more a matter of whether out guts can digest them or not.

We cook food either to make it digestible or to kill off parasites in it.

Raw beef in steak tartar,

We can not break down the complex carbohydrates in flour until it has been combined with something else ans cooked.
Even a simple, flour water paste can then be cooked on a hot pan making it far easier for our guts to handle

mcphee1948

War Hero
he was talking about eating raw flour, it is nasty
It may taste nasty, but in these CV-19 times, one might not eschew it as a source of nutrition.

I know from experience that eating uncooked porridge oats doesn't cause digestive upsets, and oats are a form of grass, just like wheat flour is, so the potential seems to be there.

There are precedents for such desperate resorts. For example in WWII, during the siege of Leningrad, didn't some starving citizens peel wallpaper off the walls, in order to eat the underlying substrate of flour-paste glue?

TheAssassin

War Hero
There are precedents for such desperate resorts. For example in WWII, during the siege of Leningrad, didn't some starving citizens peel wallpaper off the walls, in order to eat the underlying substrate of flour-paste glue?
Am reminded of someone I was at college with (now a local politician) who had a A4 size picture of Pamela Anderson pasted on the inside of a ring-binder . He had a disclaimer written at the bottom "The Substance used to stick down this picture IS NOT GLUE"

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It may taste nasty, but in these CV-19 times, one might not eschew it as a source of nutrition.

I know from experience that eating uncooked porridge oats doesn't cause digestive upsets, and oats are a form of grass, just like wheat flour is, so the potential seems to be there.

And in either Leningrad or Stalingrad, can't be bothered to check. The sugar refinery took a hit and molten sugar flowed out into the street.
Sugar soaked earth was dug up and sold.

The toothpaste is simple to sort, merely create an account here and they send you more toothpaste than you can eat
Allergic to sorbitol so stuck with sensodine, anyway that's be getting in the way of a new toy for the garage, especially as I'm waiting on parts for my 3d printer.

mcphee1948

War Hero
And in either Leningrad or Stalingrad, can't be bothered to check. The sugar refinery took a hit and molten sugar flowed out into the street.
Sugar soaked earth was dug up and sold.
. Probably Leningrad, as Stalingrad was pretty well empty of civilians during the battle period.

Either way, it shows what people will cheerfully do when they get hungry enough.

As someone said: when the belly rumbles, the belly-laugh comes into its own.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Went to our local Sainsburys this morning, there was a queue to get in that snaked around the car park (ideal really as the parking spaces are virtually 2 metres apart). I was watching the entrance and exit to the store, doors at either end of the store. What stunned me though was there was a little security dude counting people in at one door, but no one counting them out at the other, result being crowds around the shop and hard not to be close to someone. I mentioned to a manager that it might be an idea for the 2 sets of doors to be in contact so that they can initiate a 1 in, 1 out procedure as it would make shopping safer, his words "I'll look into it", I f'kin give up sometimes!

Yokel

LE
There are lots of foods that can eaten raw, it's more a matter of whether out guts can digest them or not.

We cook food either to make it digestible or to kill off parasites in it.

Raw beef in steak tartar,

We can not break down the complex carbohydrates in flour until it has been combined with something else ans cooked.
Even a simple, flour water paste can then be cooked on a hot pan making it far easier for our guts to handle
My father has always insisted that when he was a boy scout he was taught how to make bread over a fire with flour and water, and a stick. He has never demonstrated this.

. Probably Leningrad, as Stalingrad was pretty well empty of civilians during the battle period.

Either way, it shows what people will cheerfully do when they get hungry enough.

As someone said: when the belly rumbles, the belly-laugh comes into its own.
But we under not under siege from the advancing German army nor under artillery fire. There is no shortage of food.

A Scouse female desperate for money, for those who wish to purchase

Ahhh Bisto !

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
My father has always insisted that when he was a boy scout he was taught how to make bread over a fire with flour and water, and a stick. He has never demonstrated this.
It's a variation of 'Bannock Bread' - also involves dried milk powder, dried fruit if available and used SR flour or plain flour and baking powder - the activator is salt

TheAssassin

War Hero
It's a variation of 'Bannock Bread' - also involves dried milk powder, dried fruit if available and used SR flour or plain flour and baking powder - the activator is salt
And if Baden-Powell is to be believed, scouts were to carry amongst themselves various ingredients to make breads

I'm sure Billy Connolly made something similar on one of those TV programmes where he's travelling around on a big motorbike.

TheAssassin

War Hero
Anyone reporting bacon shortages or surpluses in supermarkets?

They are wanting Americans to buy bacon as no-one been buying it past few weeks, the price is as low as it was 30 years ago

Latest Threads