Panic buying / stocking up

I seem to recall many American recipes refer to all purpose flour (plain) and then requisite amount of baking powder, bicarb added.
They don't seem to go in for SR flour much
They’re a young nation, give them another hundred years and they might catch up with the rest of humanity.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Biscuits can easily be made with plain flour
20200331_122941.jpg

I’ve just completed our weekly essential shopping at the local Tesco’s. I love this social distancing policy they have implemented. Controlled access and exit and ‘helpers’ advising people not to overstep the markers. No gangs of screaming uncontrollable kids. Very civilised - can we keep it when all this is over please? :grin:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wondered who nicked all of the flour
Given Tiny Miss F's propensity to throw it around I need about a pound of flour to ensure 6ounces remain in the bowl

I’ve just completed our weekly essential shopping at the local Tesco’s. I love this social distancing policy they have implemented. Controlled access and exit and ‘helpers’ advising people not to overstep the markers. No gangs of screaming uncontrollable pensioners. Very civilised - can we keep it when all this is over please? :grin:
Corrected for accuracy.

Have you been to a supermarket on pension day?

Corrected for accuracy.

Have you been to a supermarket on pension day?
Avoid it like the plague. Oops, can I say that these days?

mcphee1948

War Hero
On the subject of flour, would it be possible to just eat the flour powder directly, instead of cooking it into variegated forms like bread and cakes.

I mean one used to be able to buy packets of powdered mashed potato. "For mash get Smash"..

I used to wonder, why not just open the packet and consume the powder without messing about with adding boiled water. After all potatoes are mostly water. So couldn't you just eat the powder, then follow it with a drink of water?

On the subject of flour, would it be possible to just eat the flour powder directly, instead of cooking it into variegated forms like bread and cakes.

I mean one used to be able to buy packets of powdered mashed potato. "For mash get Smash"..

I used to wonder, why not just open the packet and consume the powder without messing about with adding boiled water. After all potatoes are mostly water. So couldn't you just eat the powder, then follow it with a drink of water?
Try it yourself and tell us what is was like. You could even film and put it on you.tube for us.

Mufulira

Old-Salt
Our local supermarket apart from 0700 opening only for 'oldies' gets my approval as we can now buy our beer and wines at early hours and not have to wait until 1100 hrs. So bacon eggs and beer or wine such a caring gov't. Only improvement was allowing pubs that already sold take-away can now also sell beer or wine with your take-away. We've finally entered the 21st century

mcphee1948

War Hero
...if you survive

it isn't sterile and there's reasons why chefs describe it as raw in the same way they talk about raw chicken and pork
Yes, but don't the Japanese eat raw fish.

Latest Threads