Panic buying / stocking up

Actually it's DN Junior2's baking.

And she would kill you if it went wrong.

ETA, if she didn't kill you, I would as she makes rather good cakes.
06FA56Paderborn is almost right with his flour/baking powder proportions. The cake should rise but will probably be somewhat stodgy.

I've just checked a sachet of baking powder. The contents (16 g) are sufficient for 500 g of flour. The suggested cake recipe on the back requires 3 level teaspoons of baking powder to 200 g flour.

I would like to think that people will be less reliant on supermarkets in the future, and there will be an increase in home deliveries, possibly a rise in vending machines offering the basics.
We are a family of six, with one in nappies and we haven't been to a shop for 10 days. Yes, we have a well stocked freezer (apart from the pigs), but we get a fruit and veg box from the grocer in Amesbury once a week, milk from the milkman, even the loo roll is delivered (whogivesacrap.com). If we bought meat the butchers in Amesbury delivers, as does at least one in Salisbury. We use reusable cloth nappies. Laithwaites take care of the wine, and the chickens have perked up again so that's eggs sorted.Yes, at some stage toothpaste and so on will need a replen, but that can be done at the garage if need be.
Supermarkets will always have a place, but people will come to realise that they can live without them, even just a little bit, which as we know, helps.
The future is Amazon (and its like) and not the High Street, which will die. The massive out-of-town malls will continue, though; that wait for the delivery van is too much for most (certainly me), and who can go through an online Tesco grocery set of listings without forgetting the Marmite?

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
We've found Amazon to be the only reliable source, if it's in stock - you get it delivered, end of. no messing about with 'we'll send it when we have it' or it'll be delivered sometime in the next ten days - maybe (granted, at the moment there's not much chance of no-one being in to accept a delivery!) Supermarkets & pet shop deliveries are inconsistent and unreliable, along with the personal distancing issues in getting into a shop and the time it takes, it's pure chance as to whether there's what you want / need once you get in there.

syrup

LE
I got up and got across to our local Tesco early Saturday for a bit of a big shop
Not because we needed to panic buy but by not panic buying we're now at the stocking up stage
Played the game and where the shelf said this item is limited to x items that's all I got.
Quite civilised really people waiting for others to get the stuff off the shelf and a discrete cough often signalled to people that it was time to move on.

I would like to think that people will be less reliant on supermarkets in the future, and there will be an increase in home deliveries, possibly a rise in vending machines offering the basics.
We are a family of six, with one in nappies and we haven't been to a shop for 10 days. Yes, we have a well stocked freezer (apart from the pigs), but we get a fruit and veg box from the grocer in Amesbury once a week, milk from the milkman, even the loo roll is delivered (whogivesacrap.com). If we bought meat the butchers in Amesbury delivers, as does at least one in Salisbury. We use reusable cloth nappies. Laithwaites take care of the wine, and the chickens have perked up again so that's eggs sorted.Yes, at some stage toothpaste and so on will need a replen, but that can be done at the garage if need be.
Supermarkets will always have a place, but people will come to realise that they can live without them, even just a little bit, which as we know, helps.
You have a toy in your garage that makes toothpaste?
What is it, where do I get one and why have I not heard of it?
The plasma cutter can wait.
:)

Old-Salt
My local Aldi was packed to the rafters with Easter eggs and all sorts of other chocolate treats today. No-one buying it.
The purchasing and supply chain for those will have been running for weeks. In the same way that the auto order functions will try stock up on toilet paper and pasta next February in preparation for the "annual" surge in purchases!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You have a toy in your garage that makes toothpaste?
What is it, where do I get one and why have I not heard of it?
The plasma cutter can wait.
:)
The toothpaste is simple to sort, merely create an account here and they send you more toothpaste than you can eat

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I seem to recall many American recipes refer to all purpose flour (plain) and then requisite amount of baking powder, bicarb added.
They don't seem to go in for SR flour much

I seem to recall many American recipes refer to all purpose flour (plain) and then requisite amount of baking powder, bicarb added.
They don't seem to go in for SR flour much
Makes the flour more versatile. You can use it for bread, batter, waffles, crumble and so on instead of just for things that require self raising.

Yeast prefers a slightly acid environment, and the self raising agent will inhibit it when making bread.

Makes the flour more versatile. You can use it for bread, batter, waffles, crumble and so on instead of just for things that require self raising.

Yeast prefers a slightly acid environment, and the self raising agent will inhibit it when making bread.
Johnnie Craddock walt. Do your doughnuts turn out just like Fanny's?

Latest Threads