Panic buying / stocking up

Did ours and mum & dads weekly shop at Sainsburys this morning. Most stuff in stock, tinned goods were a bit thin on the ground. Apart from that, the only noticeable distance were markers on the floor near the checkouts to keep a distance apart from others.

Oh and all doors apart from one were closed, with 2 staff stood at it looking highly pissed off.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
How the hell do you get on the Government most at risk list?
I don't know, I'm just the numpty that leaves the house every day to go to work and then has to do shopping on the way back! She hasn't left the house for nearly 3 weeks!

I have just been speaking to my brother on the phone. He believes that the supermarkets will be keeping some home delivery slots back for vulnerable people, but he thinks they may need to be registered. As our folks are old (Dad is eighty but fit, Mum is in her seventies and seriously disabled following a Stroke) he thinks they should be on the list. What list though? Is there anything on Gov.uk?

They already get priority from electricity and water providers because of both age and Mum's disability.

If there is a register, they should be on it.Any ideas?
I suspect quite a few ARRSERS are on a register...

TAFKA

Clanker
We fell foul of the new rules in Morrisons yesterday.

Mrs TM is veggie and a creative cook. When we got to the checkout we were told that we could only keep three of the four tins in our basket. We queried this because we thought it just meant we couldn't buy dozens of tins of baked beans but were told firmly by Karen that it applied to them all.

We kept the kidney beans, cannelini beans and chick peas, but descided we could live without artichoke hearts.
I was in the local Morrison's a couple of hours ago (Barnard Castle). Notices were up saying the restrictions on numbers of items had been lifted. Not sure if that was for all items or just the ones where the the signs were placed but there were eggs, toilet rolls, fresh bread, fresh meat and booze available. Only stuff still out of stock was flour of any kind.

About 12 people waiting to get in when I got there (about a five minute wait) and a couple of minutes for a checkout at the end. When I left there was no-one queuing at all. Funnily enough there were only two people wearing masks, husband and wife with a trolley each and they were the the only ones behaving like bellends; pushing past people, blocking the aisles with their trolleys and doubling back. Social Distancing Co-ordinator :rolleyes: at the door mentioned that things were a lot better since the idiots who were ransacking the place last week hadn't been back. It would appear that they don't like to take their turn and move off to another supermarket if they have to queue.

I believe all you need to do is add 1 tsp baking powder to 110g of plain flour to make SR Flour, you can even make your own baking powder, using 1/2 tsp cream of tartar to 1/4 tsp of bicarbonate of soda gives the equivalent of 1 tsp baking powder.

I take absolutely no responsibility as to how Mrs DN’s baking turns out.
Actually it's DN Junior2's baking.

And she would kill you if it went wrong.

ETA, if she didn't kill you, I would as she makes rather good cakes.

Tesco Falkirk AM.
Pasta, bog roll, Italian stuff tins (sort of) white & red fresh meats, Tesco (Black Label as I call them) ready meals in abundance, kitchen roll, most of everything really and well managed by crowd control
No blue top milk.
Everyone just being pleasant & cruising around keeping their distance.
Falkirk Rugby Club doing their HiViz doormen bit. Big bastids themz.
I just did a light one basket top up. To include 2 bottles of Jacobs Creek.
Well, it was a heavy basket.:rolleyes:;)

I don't know, I'm just the numpty that leaves the house every day to go to work and then has to do shopping on the way back! She hasn't left the house for nearly 3 weeks!
Then give her the wheelchair back you Jack bástard.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Then give her the wheelchair back you Jack bástard.
At least I now know that I can have Amazon packages delivered at home instead of work, so some good has come of it. :mrgreen:

tiv

War Hero
Corporate vision.
email from Sainsbury.
You have been identified as a priority customer for home delivery. (age)

Corporate reality.
Website overloaded, unable to make payment, no delivery slots.
Had a similar email from Waitrose saying they had reserved a priority slot for me. As I didn't rush to take advantage I imagine it's been reallocated by now. In any case now things have calmed down a bit we can get what we want from the local Nisa.

Had a similar email from Waitrose saying they had reserved a priority slot for me. As I didn't rush to take advantage I imagine it's been reallocated by now. In any case now things have calmed down a bit we can get what we want from the local Nisa.

A NISA in the west midlands has been boycotted, the chap that "Owns" it also runs the local newsagent -post office, during the start of the panic buying stampede, he raised his prices on essentials, The word went out on social media, and trading standards were informed.

Last edited:

BopBopBop

War Hero
Teething problems seem to have been resolved and we are getting our delivery tomorrow.
Yea!

I would like to think that people will be less reliant on supermarkets in the future, and there will be an increase in home deliveries, possibly a rise in vending machines offering the basics.
We are a family of six, with one in nappies and we haven't been to a shop for 10 days. Yes, we have a well stocked freezer (apart from the pigs), but we get a fruit and veg box from the grocer in Amesbury once a week, milk from the milkman, even the loo roll is delivered (whogivesacrap.com). If we bought meat the butchers in Amesbury delivers, as does at least one in Salisbury. We use reusable cloth nappies. Laithwaites take care of the wine, and the chickens have perked up again so that's eggs sorted.Yes, at some stage toothpaste and so on will need a replen, but that can be done at the garage if need be.
Supermarkets will always have a place, but people will come to realise that they can live without them, even just a little bit, which as we know, helps.

Yokel

LE
I would like to think that people will be less reliant on supermarkets in the future, and there will be an increase in home deliveries, possibly a rise in vending machines offering the basics.
We are a family of six, with one in nappies and we haven't been to a shop for 10 days. Yes, we have a well stocked freezer (apart from the pigs), but we get a fruit and veg box from the grocer in Amesbury once a week, milk from the milkman, even the loo roll is delivered (whogivesacrap.com). If we bought meat the butchers in Amesbury delivers, as does at least one in Salisbury. We use reusable cloth nappies. Laithwaites take care of the wine, and the chickens have perked up again so that's eggs sorted.Yes, at some stage toothpaste and so on will need a replen, but that can be done at the garage if need be.
Supermarkets will always have a place, but people will come to realise that they can live without them, even just a little bit, which as we know, helps.
Small point but surely all types of shops have a logistics chain and even local shops can sell out of things. I have never heard of vending machines selling anything other than snacks, drinks, cigarettes, or intimate items. Can you really get some potatoes or a loaf of bread from one? Or some tea bags, or a bag of flour...

Polyester

Old-Salt
Small point but surely all types of shops have a logistics chain and even local shops can sell out of things. I have never heard of vending machines selling anything other than snacks, drinks, cigarettes, or intimate items. Can you really get some potatoes or a loaf of bread from one? Or some tea bags, or a bag of flour...
You can indeed. We have a vending machine in Blairgowrie that sells potato’s, eggs, fruit, veg and a few other fresh things.

It was quite popular last time I saw it.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Weve run out of GRAVY !!! How will we cope in Sarfend ?

Latest Threads