Panic buying / stocking up

Not taking the piss - do you know the official UK definition at what size an aerosol becomes classed as droplets?
Oh.

aerosol.

my mistake.

(I am taking the piss).

NSP

LE
The bit they don't mention, and I found this out comparing two types of filter, is that 95% means it filters 95% of stuff that is 3 microns in diameter or bigger. If what you are concerned about is smaller than 3 microns then more of it will get through. So we're back to how big is it?
Coronavirii are typically about 0.12microns, according to the earlier Reddit link.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wasn't it the nineties when the government started the TV and newspaper adverts raising awareness in car drivers of approaching motorbikes with right of way at junctions whilst encouraging m/c riders to join the hi-viz generation...?

In the eighties they had the "get yourself seen" (remember the annoying jingle?) campaign to encourage people, especially kids walking home from school in winter, to wear light clothing, reflective sashes and armbands and stuff and it dawned on someone somewhere in Whitehall that it might be sensible to pass that on to cyclists and m/c riders, too - eventually.

My uncle responded to the government's campaign of "Wear something bright at night" by buying a pair of white trousers, a white jacket and a white hat.

He was run over by a snowplough

Yokel

LE
My uncle responded to the government's campaign of "Wear something bright at night" by buying a pair of white trousers, a white jacket and a white hat.

He was run over by a snowplough
I thought you were going to say he got a job playing the man from Del Monte in adverts!

Anyway, apart from masks many people are wearing gloves. I am not sure why - although I can understand why the cashier who served me yesterday did. She had black gloves which matched her dark hair. Despite the crisis, girl watching continues!

Foregoing the Emergency workers only bit tomorrow (staying clear of those NHS buggers covered in that there China flu) I stood in the que outside Aldidilidee this morning.
Metric really hasn't taken in this country has it.
2m seems to be 2 miles to some of them especially the old dear in front of me who was about 2 car lengths from the person in front. Her situational awareness decreased rapidly once she was in the shop when she was stood pretty much next to anyone who was by the shelf she was browsing.

I thought you were going to say he got a job playing the man from Del Monte in adverts!

Anyway, apart from masks many people are wearing gloves. I am not sure why - although I can understand why the cashier who served me yesterday did. She had black gloves which matched her dark hair. Despite the crisis, girl watching continues!
Sort of matching collar & cuffs ;-)

Went to our nearby Sainsbury's yesterday. They've got the elderly (including moi) prioritised 08:00 - 09:00.
I turned up at 07:45 and got in the queue. Very civilised. At least 2 metre gaps, very little chatter. We were let in 5 people at a time, and then waited until 5 had left, before the next batch. Once in, very little stock problems. No hand sanitiser, nor, for some very strange reason, cabbage. Got a 16 pack of toilet rolls, as we were down to our last roll. Just did a usual buy, but for 2 weeks, so we can reduce exposure on too many shopping trips. Card only transactions. As soon as back in car, wiped down everything with strong Dettol wipes. On return to base, wiped everything with bleach, and left to air dry. I do miss my old S6. Scrubbed hands and face once back, even brushed teeth and strong mouthwash. I know it doesn't really make a difference, just psychological.

Went to our nearby Sainsbury's yesterday. They've got the elderly (including moi) prioritised 08:00 - 09:00.
I turned up at 07:45 and got in the queue. Very civilised. At least 2 metre gaps, very little chatter. We were let in 5 people at a time, and then waited until 5 had left, before the next batch. Once in, very little stock problems. No hand sanitiser, nor, for some very strange reason, cabbage.
Old people smell of cabbage but seriously you haven't made the link??
:)

Old people smell of cabbage but seriously you haven't made the link??
:)
Nooo.
The reason being that SWMBO is an excellent cook, and she made us a cabbage dish with a satay-like sauce and coconut cream which was phenomenal. Incidentally, the "old people smell" is caused by an increase in 2-nonenal, which is nothing to do with cabbage, but a chemical probably caused by an interaction with the body chemistry (which does change once you're over 40) and bacteria living on the skin and the mucus membranes.

I exclude of course the possible effects of ingesting cabbage on the methanogenic bacteria in the gut.

I turned up at 07:45 and got in the queue. Very civilised. At least 2 metre gaps, very little chatter. We were let in 5 people at a time, and then waited until 5 had left, before the next batch. Once in, very little stock problems. No hand sanitiser, nor, for some very strange reason, cabbage. Got a 16 pack of toilet rolls, as we were down to our last roll. Just did a usual buy, but for 2 weeks, so we can reduce exposure on too many shopping trips. Card only transactions. As soon as back in car, wiped down everything with strong Dettol wipes. On return to base, wiped everything with bleach, and left to air dry. I do miss my old S6. Scrubbed hands and face once back, even brushed teeth and strong mouthwash. I know it doesn't really make a difference, just psychological.
Same for me yesterday - quite heartening. Also good psychology, as it reduces the urge to panic buy; once you get into the shop, not busy and staff have lots of time to restock.

Noticed also that loo roll and paracetamol are back on the shelves. Fresh food in abundance. The main deficit now is tinned goods, which is a no problem for us, but the old folks I shop for are fixated on them. Hopefully, tinned food will start to flow in again over the next week or so....

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Having joked about running out of wholegrain mustard it would appear that I spoke too soon.

Shopping in 2 different locations yesterday. In both, the condiments shelves had taken a big hit.

No Mustard of any sort in either except English mustard powder.

No wholegrain, dejon, french, or any other various types that are usually there

Friends run a hotel on a Scottish island.
As they have closed, they put out fresh produce from kitchen for folk to come take.
Eggs, butter, tatties etc.

Unfortunately for the chap who came and lifted a 55lb sack of tatties rather than just take some like everyone had, the CCTV shows his face clearly.
The hotel have yet published it on social media but have mentioned that if the tatties are not shared in the manner intended, it will be!
Pity the greedy 4rse’ole didn’t chuck his back out!

To avoid watering down a G&T with ice, my granddad used to recommend keeping the gin in the freezer, and he would slice a lemon or two and freeze them as well.
A chap with whom I worked in Nepal was most partial ti a gin with hotwater ... not much hotwater, mind ... Mess Evenings were always interesting, to be sure!

Having joked about running out of wholegrain mustard it would appear that I spoke too soon.

Shopping in 2 different locations yesterday. In both, the condiments shelves had taken a big hit.

No Mustard of any sort in either except English mustard powder.

No wholegrain, dejon, french, or any other various types that are usually there
To be expected - for those that can't cook, drench everything in sauces.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A chap with whom I worked in Nepal was most partial ti a gin with hotwater ... not much hotwater, mind ... Mess Evenings were always interesting, to be sure!
Having drunk gin in Nepal I can understand why.

Whilst there was the choice of imported gin or god forbid, local gin, there was no often tonic available.

The water was safer boiled, in fact, filtered, boiled and chemically treated!

This was the 80s and 90s though

QRK2

LE
Weren't they designed to be for what was then called NBC - Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical...?
The S6 and S10 ressies were very much chemical protection IIRC (and it is a fair time ago) they didn't offer much protection against biological threats and that was one of the drivers for its replacement by the GSR which has secondary filter elements for this purpose.

Having drunk gin in Nepal I can understand why.

Whilst there was the choice of imported gin or god forbid, local gin, there was no often tonic available.

The water was safer boiled, in fact, filtered, boiled and chemically treated!

This was the 80s and 90s though
Understood, altho’ this was 15-10 years ago, and the gin was very nice ... he just didn’t like it cold, and continued the practice in Darfur ... and it would have been rude to refuse his hospitality.

Speaking of chavs...

In what is believed to be the same incident, two officers had to call for reinforcements to get Brits at the Trebol apartments in Benidorm back inside on Saturday

In what is believed to be the same incident, two officers had to call for reinforcements to get Brits at the Trebol apartments in Benidorm back inside on Saturday

'British tourists have been filmed chanting 'we've all got the flu, na na na na!' and taunting police in Spain as they defy the country's lockdown during the coronavirus outbreak.

'Shocking footage shows at least 50 Britons, some topless and others appearing to sip from cans of beer, yelling outside a block of flats in Benidorm as officers try to get them back inside.'

Cattle prods ... or Lathis, usually quite effective.

Latest Threads