Panic buying / stocking up

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Some info on the protection afforded by masks - the links on the reddit page are to a Bejing co. so no idea where they feature on the accuracy - fairy story scale...

That said, the Brownian motion principle does resonate with what I remember from 'O' & 'A' level physics lessons many years ago.

Yokel

LE
Is there any virus that is large enough be be stopped by a mask? My worry is the wearers get a false sense of security.

If a mask wearers sneezes then it might stop the spray of spit but virus particles will still be thrown from their mouth. Likewise it cannot protect them from others sneezes and coughs.

And ears, they are just as much of an infection vector as eyes, nose and mouth.
I admit to wearing nitrile gloves whilst shopping and i'm concious of what I touch whilst wearing them and the need for decontamination after taking them off (I wear them most of the time at work anyway and have 'some' stock at home) Thankfully the car i'm using at the moment has 'keyless entry' and I can open the tailgate with a wave of my foot under the rear bumper so I can put the shopping in the car and open the door before removing the gloves.
Indeed, but do you bleach your shopping on arrival at home, thus ensuring another set of decontamination drills.

Truxx

LE
I doubt they would but wearing an S10 or similar MIGHT cause people to observe the 2 metre rule :)
Carrying that rifle with bayonet fixed helps.

Jab forwards at closest individual.

If the blade comes back with a pinkish tinge politely ask them to step back a bit

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed, but do you bleach your shopping on arrival at home, thus ensuring another set of decontamination drills.
Only the bleach bottles
BTW, if 'Four Lions' was remade with a current viewpoint, there'd be a queue for the 'twelve bottles of bleach' and nothing thought of it!

Personally I blot, bang, rub.

Is there any virus that is large enough be be stopped by a mask? My worry is the wearers get a false sense of security.
Yes.

Amusingly enough, and I've posted this before, do you know when motorcycling fatalities had their largest increase in the UK? It was after helmets were made mandatory.

A false sense of security was undoubtedly part of that. Lots more people on the roads, travelling farther meant more total accidents.

Yokel

LE
Yes.

Amusingly enough, and I've posted this before, do you know when motorcycling fatalities had their largest increase in the UK? It was after helmets were made mandatory.

A false sense of security was undoubtedly part of that. Lots more people on the roads, travelling farther meant more total accidents.
Just like the way engineers and scientists working for vehicle manufacturers have put serious effort into making vehicles more crashworthy with things like crumple zones, and less likely to crash with things like ABS braking, only for drivers to take extra risks.

In the workplace PPE is always the last line of defence.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes.

Is that due in any part due to the 40 somthings who bough bikes during the 1990s and found them far too powerful ?

Is that due in any part due to the 40 somthings who bough bikes during the 1990s and found them far too powerful ?
The rise was 1973 to 1980 so probably not, no. The 1990s showed an overall decrease in bike deaths but there was a rise in the last part of the decade. Clue's in the graph ;)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

If a mask wearers sneezes then it might stop the spray of spit but virus particles will still be thrown from their mouth. Likewise it cannot protect them from others sneezes and coughs.
We are currently talking about the difference between droplets and aerosols.

IIR masks will stop droplets as they are fluid resistant.

The FFP3 masks should stop aerosols.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just like the way engineers and scientists working for vehicle manufacturers have put serious effort into making vehicles more crashworthy with things like crumple zones, and less likely to crash with things like ABS braking, only for drivers to take extra risks.

In the workplace PPE is always the last line of defence.
I remember a discussion which stated that the best way to avoid accidents would be to have a 6inch spike in the centre of every steering wheel!

received_837851083384863.jpeg

I had a bimble around sainsburys this evening on the way back from work with this around my neck. Just wanted a carton of beers. The bloke behind me in the queue to get into the store was a social distancing champion. 6m back at least. In store, I reckon I could have parted the red Sea the way folk were going. I admit I'm not a small man and Mrs pvivax says I can look intimidating. I'm a softie for the elderly and children and generally quite nice. But it made me laugh. Off this weekend then back to my friend covid 19 on Monday. .

We are currently talking about the difference between droplets and aerosols.

IIR masks will stop droplets as they are fluid resistant.

The FFP3 masks should stop aerosols.
Not taking the piss - do you know the official UK definition at what size an aerosol becomes classed as droplets?

Latest Threads