Pancake Tuesday and the Pope is off

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by TheIronDuke, Feb 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

It is Pancake Tuesday which is some sort of Catholic festival. But they will have their eye off of the ball on account of the Pope has just announced he is sick.

So, making pancakes?

I tend to bash up some eggs, whisk in flour and water and then fry the *****. It does not always work out well.

Your perfect Pancake Day pancake. In your own time.
  2. Cookery threads eh? Tut.

We did ours last night with left over Yorkshire puddin batter. Lime and sugar. V nice t'was.
    Best ever was one I had in that thar Thailand and it was big pancake, banana and condensed milk. Maybe as it was night, jungly and I was a leel bit tipsy but it was surprisingly good. Great when food is like that. I got people hooked on them when I came back. Proper hooked. Actually some are getting shakey in my basement and moaning, best I get the hot plate on.
  3. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

there's a nice dutch restaurant in holborn called my ole dutch does gi huge pancakes with all sorts of fillings .

The Chinese people who own it are very nice to .
  4. Opposite the Princess Louise?
  5. Buy large packet of North Staffordshire Oat Cakes. Fill with what ever take your fancy, sweet or savoury, wash down with tea or Banks's Mild.

6. Not specifically Catholic, more broader Christian. Ian Paisley's got yer number pal not that he uses the phone much:)
  7. Try getting into the place at any hour. Fearsomely busy.
  8. Haven't been there for decades. Good to know it's still going.

They used to do really heavy pancakes with loads of savoury or sweet toppings. A struggle to eat both a savoury and a sweet one.
    Found out when I went to live in the Netherlands a couple of years later that they were pretty close to real Dutch pancakes.
  9. I think I'll be putting some horse in mine.
  10. There used to be a sister restaurant in Ealing. It closed down a couple of years back. Not enough stodge in a Dutch pancake for the Polish.
  11. And so it was that the proverbial Englishman, Scotsman, Welshman and Irishman were sharing a compartment on a railway journey.

In order to break the ice, the Englishman addresses himself to his companions. "Look here, we're likely to be in each other's company for the duration of this journey. We might as well introduce ourselves. My name's George. I was born on St George's Day and my parents named me George in his honour.

The Scotsman said, "Jings, whit a coincidence. My folks called me Andrew as I was born on St. Andrew's Day."

The Welshman interjected, "Now there's a thing, look you, see. I was named Dai as a result of being born on St. David's day, innit."

The Englishman turns to the Irishman and says, "You haven't yet told us your name, old chap."

"Pancake", he replied.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lent my arse. whilst my kids are ******* about with pancakes I and my shadowless one will be tucking into freshly shot wild pig's liver and bacon with neaps and tatties!
  13. The My Old Dutch near (ish) me is run by Eastern Europeans - it's OK but will never beat the original Asterix Creperie on the King's Road. Apart form the cat that the latter has shut of course.
  14. I have visions of this pig's liver running wild and free through the forest before a .243 sent it to meet its maker.
  15. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

You are a sick and Godless **** and Jesus is watching you.

I have used three big eggs and the mixture is looking a bit gloopy. Do I just add more water. Or what? The Gorgeous Blonde Assassin is due back in half an hour and I do not wish to stand there stuttering. Help.