• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Pancake Tuesday and the Pope is off

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
It is Pancake Tuesday which is some sort of Catholic festival. But they will have their eye off of the ball on account of the Pope has just announced he is sick.

So, making pancakes?

I tend to bash up some eggs, whisk in flour and water and then fry the *****. It does not always work out well.

Your perfect Pancake Day pancake. In your own time.

Cookery threads eh? Tut.

We did ours last night with left over Yorkshire puddin batter. Lime and sugar. V nice t'was.
Best ever was one I had in that thar Thailand and it was big pancake, banana and condensed milk. Maybe as it was night, jungly and I was a leel bit tipsy but it was surprisingly good. Great when food is like that. I got people hooked on them when I came back. Proper hooked. Actually some are getting shakey in my basement and moaning, best I get the hot plate on.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
there's a nice dutch restaurant in holborn called my ole dutch does gi huge pancakes with all sorts of fillings .

The Chinese people who own it are very nice to .

Try getting into the place at any hour. Fearsomely busy.
Haven't been there for decades. Good to know it's still going.

They used to do really heavy pancakes with loads of savoury or sweet toppings. A struggle to eat both a savoury and a sweet one.
Found out when I went to live in the Netherlands a couple of years later that they were pretty close to real Dutch pancakes.

there's a nice dutch restaurant in holborn called my ole dutch does gi huge pancakes with all sorts of fillings .

There used to be a sister restaurant in Ealing. It closed down a couple of years back. Not enough stodge in a Dutch pancake for the Polish.

And so it was that the proverbial Englishman, Scotsman, Welshman and Irishman were sharing a compartment on a railway journey.

In order to break the ice, the Englishman addresses himself to his companions. "Look here, we're likely to be in each other's company for the duration of this journey. We might as well introduce ourselves. My name's George. I was born on St George's Day and my parents named me George in his honour.

The Scotsman said, "Jings, whit a coincidence. My folks called me Andrew as I was born on St. Andrew's Day."

The Welshman interjected, "Now there's a thing, look you, see. I was named Dai as a result of being born on St. David's day, innit."

The Englishman turns to the Irishman and says, "You haven't yet told us your name, old chap."

"Pancake", he replied.

Lent my arse. whilst my kids are ******* about with pancakes I and my shadowless one will be tucking into freshly shot wild pig's liver and bacon with neaps and tatties!

The My Old Dutch near (ish) me is run by Eastern Europeans - it's OK but will never beat the original Asterix Creperie on the King's Road. Apart form the cat that the latter has shut of course.

Lent my arse. whilst my kids are ******* about with pancakes I and my shadowless one will be tucking into freshly shot wild pig's liver and bacon with neaps and tatties!
I have visions of this pig's liver running wild and free through the forest before a .243 sent it to meet its maker.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
You are a sick and Godless **** and Jesus is watching you.

I have used three big eggs and the mixture is looking a bit gloopy. Do I just add more water. Or what? The Gorgeous Blonde Assassin is due back in half an hour and I do not wish to stand there stuttering. Help.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Having initially turned my nose up in disgust when first introduced to savoury pancakes, I am now well and truly convinced these shouldn't just be reserved for one day of the year.

Pancakes x3 (2 savoury, 1 sweet)
Poached eggs x2
Sticks of courgette (or asparagus, but I didn't have any) fried in butter
Sprinkled with a good helping of finely grated parmesan cheese.

Wrap in pancakes, apply to face.

Sweet = brown sugar and lemon juice. Easy peasy.

******* tasty!

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
You are a sick and Godless **** and Jesus is watching you.

I have used three big eggs and the mixture is looking a bit gloopy. Do I just add more water. Or what? The Gorgeous Blonde Assassin is due back in half an hour and I do not wish to stand there stuttering. Help.
Add MILK, bit by bit and keep beating until it looks like single cream. (FNAR!) Lumps don't really matter.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Gorgonzola, Edam and cheddar. Cut the Gorgonzola into wee chunks, grate the other two. Mix them all together and leave the mixture under a warm grill until it is very soft. As the pancake is almost finished cooking on the second side add the mixture of cheese.

Fold the pancake and enjoy.

Made a big bowl of pancake batter and ran off half a dozen nice, thin crepe-y type ones. They will be served later with a sauce consisting of chocolate, marshmallows, cream and a splosh of brandy sprinkled with coconut.

Too the remainder of the batter I added, chopped scallions, chillies, coriander leaf and a handful of cumin seeds. Ran them off in a omelette pan, a good deal smaller and thicker. They'll be served with shredded chicken, marinaded in yoghurt, chilli, coriander, mint and garam masala. Fried off and then left to simmer in a little diluted lemon juice so that the marinade goes thick & a tomato raita.

Tomorrow I diet (probably).

Latest Threads