Palestinians to get Russian aid

#1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4911310.stm

Russia has said it will grant the Hamas-led Palestinian Authority urgent financial aid, in opposition to the policy of the EU and the US
...
A Russian foreign ministry statement said: "Mahmoud Abbas stated his high appreciation of Russia's intent, confirmed by Sergei Lavrov, to grant the Palestinian Authority an urgent financial aid in the nearest future."
 
#2
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4912306.stm

Gaza police stage violent protest

Officers say their wages are two weeks late
Police in Gaza have held a violent protest at the new Hamas government's failure to pay their wages.
Up to 50 masked officers blocked roads and stormed a government office, firing their weapons in the air from the roof.

They said they were suffering severe financial problems and demanded their wages, now two weeks late.
 
#3
That is wrong of Russia. Let the people see that for a long time they have been supported by aid from Europe, Israel and America, the owners of the very embassies they attack whenever they're feeling a bit miffed. They put Hamas into power, Hamas were intent on causing trouble therefore let the people suffer for their decision and they might just boot Hamas out of power.

Russia are paddling in affairs they shouldn't, they're still a global power, we don't need reminding by them fcuking up another middle eastern country (not claiming that we've not)
 
#4
What should the West do in this situation?
 
#5
KGB_resident said:
What should the West do in this situation?
Tell Russia where to get off, in diplomatic terms of course.

If not I'm sure the words overstretch won't even be in the vocab as we launch assaults on Palestine, Israel (why not?) and Moscow...
 
#6
crabby said:
That is wrong of Russia. Let the people see that for a long time they have been supported by aid from Europe, Israel and America
Israel? Israeli payments were a part of signed agreement. They are a compensation for unpaid custom paiments. Do you really think that Palestinians 'see for a long time they have been supported by aid from' Israel? On what planet do you live Crabby?

crabby said:
They put Hamas into power, Hamas were intent on causing trouble therefore let the people suffer for their decision and they might just boot Hamas out of power.
So the plan is clear enough - remove Hamas from power by financial blockade. It will not work.

crabby said:
Russia are paddling in affairs they shouldn't
Your reccomendation would be taken into account. However, unlikely it will be accepted.
 
#7
My point was that Israel *could* have not given any money at all. A financial blockade may work, people demand a better life at the end of the day and Hamas are unable to deliver because of their views on terrorism
 
#8
The Palestinians may have voted for the wrong party and a highly manipulative party at that. But the Boycott is not going to help matters, can't remember the percentage exactly but in Gaza unemployment is running at 60%, the boycott of direct aid is going to hurt hundred of thousands of ordinary Palestinians who rely on the state for employment. The boycott could easily be turned into a statement of the west punishing the Palestinians for voting for the 'wrong party'. Also such a negative attitude continues amongst western powers, it will only strengthen Hamas's position amongst the Palestinians and turn a vast section of Palestinian opinion against the west.
 
#9
Hmmm. Kick out all the people that employ others, that have the skill sets etc to run working businesses and then be surprised at high unemployment. Mugabe - Hamas etc. I'm just surprised that anyone's surprised.
 
#10
castlereagh said:
The Palestinians may have voted for the wrong party and a highly manipulative party at that. But the Boycott is not going to help matters, can't remember the percentage exactly but in Gaza unemployment is running at 60%, the boycott of direct aid is going to hurt hundred of thousands of ordinary Palestinians
indeed. If poverty worsens, they'll blame their traditional enemies, rather than analysing why things are the way they are and voting for a party other than Hamas
 
#11
crabby said:
My point was that Israel *could* have not given any money at all. A financial blockade may work, people demand a better life at the end of the day and Hamas are unable to deliver because of their views on terrorism
I fear that former US president Carter disagrees with you

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4731058.stm

Writing in the Washington Post, Mr Carter reprised US news reports - denied last week - that the US and Israel have colluded in an effort to disrupt Hamas' accession to power.

"The likely results will be to alienate the already oppressed and innocent Palestinian, to incite violence, and to increase the domestic influence and international esteem of Hamas," he wrote.
Crabby, according to signed agreement Israel has to transfer monthly tax payments.

Israel's acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has said Israel would "not hold contacts with the administration in which Hamas plays any part - small, large or permanent".

The measures he announced include:

Withholding monthly tax payments to the PA.
...
So now Israel 'withholds' the payments that it must make.

crabby said:
KGB_resident said:
What should the West do in this situation?
Tell Russia where to get off, in diplomatic terms of course.

If not I'm sure the words overstretch won't even be in the vocab as we launch assaults on Palestine, Israel (why not?) and Moscow...
Assaults on Palestine... Always done.

Assaults on Israel? Your imagination is much better than my one.

Assaults on Moscow? How it possble? In what forms?
 
#12
Sergey, did I sound totally serious about assaulting Moscow? Surely you've spent enough time here to pick up on just a smidge of sarcasm. I know they don't do sarcasm in "Moscow" (southend) but you could at least try... *sigh*
 
#14
crabby said:
Sergey, did I sound totally serious about assaulting Moscow? Surely you've spent enough time here to pick up on just a smidge of sarcasm. I know they don't do sarcasm in "Moscow" (southend) but you could at least try... *sigh*
You won. I has been fooled. Indeed your posts contain clear marks of sarcasm.
 
#15
I remember good old Corona, the sort you drank and not smoked and there was orangeade and lemonade but very seldom tried the russianade. Remember it being red though. You did pay a high price for it and it left a very nasty after taste which lingered for decades. Wonder if things have changed?
 
#16
I doubt the Palestinians voted (In a democratic election) for Hammas because of their terrorist actions.

I suspect it was the previous governments extreme corruption which pi*ssed them of, Hammas promised to sort that out, jobs for everyone, gold plated toothbrushes all round.....the usual crap.

The US and Europe have a history of supporting corrupt and undemocratic governments if it suits their purpose so I find it hard to slag the Russians for supporting the Palestinians for the same reasons.

(Wasn't it Tunisia that Democratically elected a muslim government? The result wasn't accepted, the west supported the opposition.)
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top