Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Devil_Dog, Nov 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

I apologize if this was done already and if so MOD delete please.

Former president Jimmy Carter has written a book that will earn him the dire wrath of the radical right and the so called "religious" right of US politics. I haven't read the book yet, but if this interview is anything to go by the I'm sure I will find it very candid.

His point of view seems honest and coming from the only US president to ever broker some level of long lasting understanding between Israel and the Arabs (the Camp David Accord) he warrants listening to.

He will be live in about half an hour here.
  2. Looks like storm has begun.

A great book by the way. Only problem I have with Carter is he never learnt that truth in politics will only take you so far.
  3. Geez, DD, you disappoint me. what the fark does truth have to do with polly tics anymore? On EITHER side of the pond?
  4. Nothing I suppose. A handshake don't mean what it used to. Tis sad times we live in.
  5. He talks sense but when has the idea of sense in politics ever been listened to?
  6. Interesting post, Devil_Dog, and if Carter's book can trigger some serious discussion on the Israel/Palestine question, or even new and earnest talks, then it'll have done some good.

It's interesting to note that in all the shouting, everybody seems to have conveniently forgotten the fact that Israel is in breach of almost 40 UN resolutions and, furthermore, that Israel wasn't given the whole country to begin with, but has been illegally occupying parts of it since 1949. The original UN decision carved Palestine up like this:

And for all their bleating, perhaps it's worthwhile to mention that the Israelites were only one of thousands of tribes who populated the region. So why they lay claim to the whole country is a mystery to me.