Palestine 1938-1948

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by topcat68, Jan 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anybody any recomendations of books to read about this period in our history from a servicemans perspective? many thanks in advance.T.C.

2. Fire in the Night by John Bierman & Colin Smith which is about the life of Orde Wingate has a good section on his time in Palestine.

3. Cheers V.B. will see if I can find a copy.

4. If you PM me your address I'll let you have my copy.

5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Also, 'Free for a Blast' by Lt Col R King-Clark (who has just recently died) (Grenville Publishing) - copies from the Manchester Regt Assn.

6. Check PM's mate.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Try the Palestine Police force History, I cant remember the title but it was a damned good read!

8. Cheers Ugs will do.

9. Good tip Ugly.

I found this on amazon:
    A Job Well Done: A History of the Palestine Police Force 1920-1948 by E. P. Horne (Hardcover - 28 Aug 2003)

which I've ordered.

TC68, Book on it's way but Mrs VB posted it 2nd Class, the tight fisted git, so it'll take a couple of days.

Edited to add: When I say Mrs VB is a "tight fisted git" what I actually meant was "wonderful, generous wife". I hope that has cleared up any misconceptions on what I meant.

Note to self. Don't leave computer on and with arrse page visible in future.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That sounds like it!

11. V.B, cheers mate got it this a.m.and donation as promised to the fund done,many thanks to your missus.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Our local library which is a resting room on the way to gods waiting room is very well equipped for history buffs. A 3 hour roud trip on the train is a great way to plough through history!

13. A very interesting book especially Wingate's period in Palestine and his work with the Night Squads. An interesting character all round, and it would of been interesting to see how his career may have turned out had he survived WWII.

14. "Trumpet in the Hall" by Sir Bernard Ferguson (ex CO BW and later Governor of NZ, I believe) gives a useful insight in to the immediate post WW2 years.

15. I thought it was a good book. Had he survived WW2 I think he'd have had something to do with the Malayan Scouts as did Calvert.

Roy Farran of SAS fame was involved with the Night Squads but although he is mentioned in a couple of books, and he has written a couple of books I don't think he mentions his time in Palestine.