'Pale Rider'- will the Spanish Influenza resurface

The problem isn't confined to humans. Any Invasive Non Native Species (INNS) carries its own personal ecosystem of bugs and viruses.
If a host animal gets into a new environment, its diseases can easily jump across as well, and cripple the native species.
Red squirrels in the UK have been wiped out by a pox virus native to the Grey, and the British crayfish has been wiped out by a disease carried by the American Signal crayfish. Those are just two of the ones we know about.
Even plants can be affected. The Elm tree was wiped out by a fungus carried by an invasive beetle.

Last edited:
The 1918 H1N1 flu virus with over 50-100 million victims still seems to be ahead in the killing game.
My grandmother survived the Spanish flu. I remember her talking about the lack of eligible young men, leading to a generation of spinsters in the early 20th century. Partly due to the flu and partly due to WW1. She didn't marry until she was in her 30s, very unusual for that time.

There are a few very good documentaries on YouTube about smallpox. It's an ancient disease. Some of the mummified pharaohs in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo show clear signs of the skin blisters.

Until vaccination was discovered, it was endemic in many places. Between 25% and 100% caught it and a third would die. Many who survived were badly disfigured for the rest of their lives.

Much speculation at the end of last year about North Korea producing smallpox and anthrax bioweapons. Very frightening if true. Can smallpox vaccine still be produced or should we all get down to the nearest farm and start rubbing ourselves on the cows (until the police arrive). In fact, does cow pox still exist? Are we doomed in the face of Wee Phat's biohazards?

YarS

On ROPS
On ROPs
Unfortunately the fat kid fiddling about with Nukes, Bio and Chemical weapons, is still eating unhealthily which does nothing for his mental stability. Lets hope he doesn’t decide to compete in the killing game.
Ha! Everybody have their research work in a nuclear, chemical and biology sciences. "To use or not to use [knowledge as a weapon]" it is not a question. Of course, everybody will use all available weapon to save their countries and peoples.
As for me, most perspective is the family of Reoviridae.

Ha! Everybody have their research work in a nuclear, chemical and biology sciences. "To use or not to use [knowledge as a weapon]" it is not a question. Of course, everybody will use all available weapon to save their countries and peoples.
As for me, most perspective is the family of Reoviridae.
And in the Queens English that means what exactly?

Over the last couple of years the Ebola virus and Zika virus have devastated communities, but we're rapidly approaching the centenerary of the final year of WW1, and as we also get closer to it I'm reminded of the mother of all flu bugs, so virulent it was responsible for killing an estimated 100 million across the globe. A greater death toll than WW1 + WW2 combined.
Pale Rider review – painful lessons of the flu pandemic

The world has seen a series of flu pandemics since early 1918, but the Spanish Influenza A type virus still remains the known 'mother of flu' -
Table - The Next Influenza Pandemic: Lessons from Hong Kong, 1997 - Volume 5, Number 2—April 1999 - Emerging Infectious Disease journal - CDC

A feature of the time when the Spanish flu pandemic started, was the phrenetic level of activity and movement in the world during the last year of that world war. Medical staff were very short in places like the US and India, as thousands of MOs and nurses had gone to help iin Europe.

Medical research in Japan of this period offers some guide to the combination of the influenza which had a 2.5% mortality rate amongst 20-40s (considerably higher than the normal 0.1%).
Markers of Disease Severity in Patients with Spanish Influenza in the Japanese Armed Forces, 1919–1920 - Volume 23, Number 4—April 2017 - Emerging Infectious Disease journal - CDC

Preparing for the unpredictable viral influenza strain needs to look at how others have evolved -
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/12/1/pdfs/05-1254.pdf

The reality at this point is -

What is known about the Spanish Inflenza was recovered through exhumation of a preserved corpse in Alaska (in 2005) who was known to have died from the virus in 18/19, that virus sample was passed to several groups to conduct their analysis. The knowledge learned from this venture should be consided in context with other more worrying scenarios. Many parts of Alaska and importantly Siberia experienced the lethal effects of the original virus on a fairly broad scale.

The global warming that is impacting many areas in the Arctic Circle where permafrost is melting. This presents a security threat that pathogens may be released accidentally (as in the instance of a Russian boy who recently contracted anthrax through such a source), but as Daesh, AQ and other looney tunes outfits see the potential to exploit biological agents, don't forget your annual flu shot (hopefully it'll help)!
No.
And even if it did, we have antibiotics and intensive care.
This year's flu jab prediction has been less than successful, but hey ho we are nearly out of the flu season.
:rolleyes:

This year's flu jab prediction has been less than successful, but hey ho we are nearly out of the flu season.
Now you've gone and buggered it haven't you.

That said, there'll probably be some evil little sod of a virus lurking in the perma frost , that hasn't seen the light of day for millions of years , that is capable of causing a near extinction level event on the human population.

As we are an island, cut all links and put everyone into quarantine.

That said, there'll probably be some evil little sod of a virus lurking in the perma frost , that hasn't seen the light of day for millions of years , that is capable of causing a near extinction level event on the human population.

Am totally with you on cutting all links.
We are about due an extinction event, as there are too many people ....
Doesn't bother I, as we live on a mountain, independent water supply, plenty of game to eat, plenty of wood to burn.
We should be so lucky that a virus does the job for us.
I think civil unrest might beat the virus to it, sadly.
Do you remember the Survivors 70's TV series?
Just asking, like :rolleyes:

Significant threat is the increasing ineffectiveness of Antibiotics due to combination of misuse and the natural development of resistant strains of bug.

Nasty cold flu/virus won't see off those otherwise in good health, but an ugly secondary resistant bacterial infection will

Significant threat is the increasing ineffectiveness of Antibiotics due to combination of misuse and the natural development of resistant strains of bug.

Nasty cold flu/virus won't see off those otherwise in good health, but an ugly secondary resistant bacterial infection will
Yes.
However, society is organised in a significantly different way today.
No more cheek by jowl.
Well, maybe if you regularly travel on the tube ...
Anyway, a well nourished, warm, well educated population ( everyone else, bye! )
Don't forget your vitamins and most importantly vitamin D every day.
We get precious little sunshine, so vit D needed to keep bones healthy.
If you don't eat meat on a regular basis, make sure you take iron every day.
This boosts immunity.
If you are a vegetarian (why?)
You can get veggie iron supplements at Holland and Barrett (other health food stores are available)
It's called Floradix
933164b.jpg

Your health, your responsibility
;)

Jeez I don't fancy our chances with Border Farce trying to stop any incomers

We're doomed!

No.
And even if it did, we have antibiotics and intensive care.
If you think we're nearly out of flu season then I want a kilo of what you're smoking because we'll barely be peaking at this time in the Northern Hemisphere.

For the planet in general, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad outcome.

If you think we're nearly out of flu season then I want a kilo of what you're smoking because we'll barely be peaking at this time in the Northern Hemisphere.
I've known quite a few people go down with this flu over the past couple of weeks, but what I think will spread it worse is when all the schools finally go back next week
Form what I can gather from an article I read, children up to age 8-9 are particularly excellent carriers of this flu strain.

I've known quite a few people go down with this flu over the past couple of weeks, but what I think will spread it worse is when all the schools finally go back next week
Form what I can gather from an article I read, children up to age 8-9 are particularly excellent carriers of this flu strain.
In all fairness, these little bastards, always with a finger in there nose or scratching their arse, are excellent carriers of a hell of a lot of different bacterium and virii and that's usually when you wish you hadn't taught them not to be selfish buggers and that they should share everything rather than keep it to themselves.

In all fairness, these little bastards, always with a finger in there nose or scratching their arse, are excellent carriers of a hell of a lot of different bacterium and virii and that's usually when you wish you hadn't taught them not to be selfish buggers and that they should share everything rather than keep it to themselves.

I knew there was a reason why I hated kids.

I've been loaded with the cnut for three weeks now, I've went through two litres of Jack Daniels. Hope I have a relapse.
I would have thought supporting Sunderland would have been enough for that

Latest Threads